IGNORED

Moar Minter!

CyranoJ

I'll explain the hate for Space Giraffe…there's too much fsking sh*t going on the screen right in front of the action so you can't tell what the frak is going on!

I love the original arcade Tempest. I love Tempest 2000 and 3000 on the Jag and the Nuon. I love Keithen Hayenga's version of Tempest on the 5200 with the CX53 Trak-Ball controller. I love Tempest Xtreme. BUT I FSKING H8 THAT CROMDAMNED SPACE GIRAFFE!!! I may even hate it more than Xevious on the ST, and that's saying a lot. No….I got it. I hate it as much as the NES'ified port of Gyruss! Or Mat Mania Challenge on the 7800! Suffice to say, it's a hate so powerful it could pulverize Alderaan into fiery space dust.

Ya know, it looks a lot like Tempest, and it's by the T2K guy, but it really isn't Tempest.

Oh, I understand the mechanics. Still hate it. icon_smile.gif

I can respect it as an LSD simulation but not as an actual game. It's a good thing he went back to the mechanics that worked with TxK. Which reminds me, I gotta find a PSN TV dirt cheap so I can finally play it for myself.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and believe it or not, I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but I'm not certain you do fully understand ... your reaction reminds me of the Official Xbox Magazine reviewer who tried to play Space Giraffe like it was Tempest, and utterly failed to grasp the point, which are the risk-reward tactics you need to use to get a good score. See this discussion, "I don't know how Dan OXM did it." Dan was the one who gave the game a 2/10 score.

Has Minter lost it? People have written about the "Minter Curse" in which he picks a powerful but unpopular platform for all of his stuff. He definitely seems too stubborn to listen to anyone else about things that actually sell, or how to market or publicize his stuff. As I mentioned a few posts up, I was really disappointed in how he quit supporting mobile, as he had some neat ideas with Gridrunner, Llamatron, and Minotaur Rescue. His reasons for leaving are sound (one must eat!) but I wonder what could have happened if he had a suitable publisher to help with publicity. He seems to think that just putting up a web page is sufficient -- maybe word of mouth got it done in the old days. Does EDGE magazine still write about him all the time? The Vita was a weird platform choice, but typical Minter, and getting legally hounded by Atari had to be a setback. Tempest on Oculus Rift is going to be neat, but like Jaguar, Nuon, Vita/PSTV, and iOS, I wonder how many people are actually going to play it?

In any case I'm sure TxK is gonna be more your speed, it's a conventional Tempest game with neat but accessible gameplay and graphics all the way through.

If anyone ever wants to try a less busy version of Space Giraffe, you can turn down the visual clutter in the Windows version!

• Like 2

I always like the aspect of the game that you would not see exactly at every point of the game what is going on, but you could feel through it once you get the hang of the game's mechanics and sound clues. I remember one of the later levels which is so fuzzy and messed up that it makes you think everything else before it was really clear to see but once you understood how to listen and react to what was going on, it was beatable. I really like that. Although I can understand why people think it is weird and don't understand it without propper instructions. I was hooked once I played it the first time on one of the Jagfests many years ago.

Yeah - level 64. I can complete that level without losing a life with my eyes closed. You feel the game and learn to listen to the game. It's all part of the experience. Robotron 2084 had so much shit on the screen, you couldn't see and track every enemy, but you could survive by "feeling" the game. I guess some people get it and some don't.

Please note, I am not trying to force you to like the game. It would suck if everyone had the same opinion, etc. Just stating why I liked it.

Yeah - level 64. I can complete that level without losing a life with my eyes closed. You feel the game and learn to listen to the game. It's all part of the experience. Robotron 2084 had so much shit on the screen, you couldn't see and track every enemy, but you could survive by "feeling" the game. I guess some people get it and some don't.

Please note, I am not trying to force you to like the game. It would suck if everyone had the same opinion, etc. Just stating why I liked it.

By chance, are you also a fan of Bald Dudes? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I completely get what he's saying, damn, he's always made sense when he's written stuff (online, Nature of the Beast, magazines, whatever). That aside it sucks that he wasn't able to make a decent meal of iOS/Android. Still, I love that when he's done with a platform he's happy for anyone to pilfer what has been done. I was just happy with iOS and TxK that I was able to directly give him coin.

Marketing, promotion, phone/tablet publishers...could've made him a huge stash'o'cash. :-/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

How is Super gridrunner coming along?

How about a port of the Falcon game llama zap. Uses the jag pad for control and the dsp chip for mod tune playback.

Maybe the rez is too high for the jag. Would be a bit of a challenge. Would be amazing to play on the jag, though.

• 6 months later...

Are any of these Minter games available (with Jeff Minter's blessing of course) from the AA store just yet? Ready to PM AL if so!! If not is that still happening?

No, you missed all of the copies. They're all sold out, and no more are being made, so gotta pay the scalper tax on ebay now.

Just kidding. You'd already know if they were available yet.

• Like 2

I got TxK last year on the PSN TV. It rocks. So, Yak, if you are reading in here, you rock. I'd buy a PS4 with the PS VR to play it if [air quotes] Atari [end air quotes] ended their legal e-cock blocking of its release.

I downloaded his PC demo for the Oculus DK2 when he released it. It was awesome. Stupid Atari BS!

Looks like it is still available for download, but I don't know if it will work with the official commercial Rift or not.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/19321/txk-vr-demo-download

• Like 1

FYI Polibyius is out now on PS4/PS4 Pro/PS4 3DTV/PS4 VR.

Initial impressions are that it's very good at what it does. All at 120Hz! Even those who were skeptical and dismissive have sung its praises.

I just need a PS4 to play it now lol.

• Like 1

Polybius is amazing! I just got an OLED55C6P television from LG and it is absolutely intense on this television. It plays great on the PSVR as well. The only gripe is that it crashes when you try to turn on 3D. I have heard that many are having this problem and hopefully it will be patched quickly to fix this. If you are a fan of either fast paced shoot em ups or Minter's games, run to PSN and grab this amazing game!

• Like 1

FYI Polibyius is out now on PS4/PS4 Pro/PS4 3DTV/PS4 VR.

Initial impressions are that it's very good at what it does. All at 120Hz! Even those who were skeptical and dismissive have sung its praises.

I just need a PS4 to play it now lol.

Always on the lookout for more PS4 stuff to play. Aside from a few of the exclusives, I mostly stay on my XBox One these days.

• 2 weeks later...

POLYBIUS is more than OK, its fucking AMAZATRON WITH A BAG OF CHIPS.

If you have a PSVR and don't own this you're a fool.

Are those American chips, which Yak would call "crisps." or are they British chips, which I would call "fries?"

What if you have a PSVR and don't have any money left?

Who is more foolish, the person who spends $400 on VR gimmickry, or the fool talking about it on message boards?

Can I be a fool and not have a PSVR at all, with no plans to get one?

• Like 1