IGNORED

Retro HQ Lynx Cart Menu 1.4

GadgetUK

Here's the latest lot of .LSD files. I think that contains all commercial releases and some home brew.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60pe27jlvite4ka/_PREVIEW.zip?dl=0

If you want to find out what a game is, just copy any old rom to use the same name as the .lsd filed youre not sure about and you can then see the screen shot when you hover over that rom. The other thing you can do is open the .lsd file with a hex editor, and I think the last 20 chars of the file contain the name.

Please let me know if there's one you don't know what it is, or if one is missing etc. Most of the names are relatively easy to work out, perhaps some are not - or maybe you've never heard of the ROM that matches etc.

Just copy the .lsd files into your _PREVIEW folder in the root of your SD card. ROMs need renaming to match, or you can rename the .lsd file, but its probably better to rename the ROM. You might find the folder is hidden on your SD card and you might need to change settings in Windows to show hidden files and folders. Or it might not be there - it will work without it.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 8

Nice one Gadget! Would it be possible to request a couple of menu enhancements? I, like probably everyone, have the commercial roms in A - Z folders. Could we have the ability for folder Z to cycle straight back to folder A by pressing the down direction once? Rather than having to go all the way up through the alphabet again. Also when going into a letter folder such as S we are returned to A but for me it would be great to return to S again!

These enhancements would save a little time I think. What do you think?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What I found slightly sluggish is the way the preview pic is loaded almost instantly when browsing through the files. Perhaps a 2 sec delay would be practical to let the mind have a little chance of choosing the title while browsing the files :)

• Like 1

v1.7 menu - https://www.dropbox.com/s/iik9wxzbvbhwc67/menu1.7.zip?dl=0

And source code:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn7ungptflakufs/menusrc1.7.zip?dl=0

That should fix Power Factor! Other than that, just minor changes, slightly longer before preview shows and minor changes (supports .o)

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 4

v1.8 menu:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/u18ah7qum61tn9l/menu1.8.zip?dl=0

And source code:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wzyhoxab29nktz/menusrc1.8.zip?dl=0

Fixed a timing related bug when trying to load homebrew - I noticed it a week or two back after v1.6 came out. Just randomly a homebrew file would not load and just return to the menu. I've added a delay in after the close, before it opens the final ROM - let me know if anyone still has a problem with a game trying to load then returning to the menu! I've also fixed a scaling issue on the previews - they were out by 1 pixel. Something I noticed before with CC65, and when displaying a 160 x 102 image the scaling attributes of the sprite need to be set to 0x100, not 0xFF as I had been led to believe, or you get 1 column of pixels squished by Suzi. Also fixed a bug introduced in the last release to do with changing the colour of the text and background to display the 'Programming...' message better.

I have looked at changing the up and down navigation as Guitari suggested but I just cannot be bothered with it today - brain melting etc. I might try and do that another day.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your efforts in this, gadget! Would it be feasible to have preview images load when the player presses the "A" button instead of having them load automatically? Then press "A" again to load the game or "B" to go back to menu.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your efforts in this, gadget! Would it be feasible to have preview images load when the player presses the "A" button instead of having them load automatically? Then press "A" again to load the game or "B" to go back to menu.

Totally possible! I might add a config file in - I was thinking about that earlier, so you can turn on / off preview entirely as well. I will try and update it over the next few days.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to put this. I'm on menu 1.8, and find sometimes there's a bit of a lag when navigating files with the D-pad, and also pressing buttons. Sometimes I have to press down three times before it starts to move through files. And often the first time I press "A" to load a game, it's not registered.

In games themselves, I get no problems at all, and the menu lag is the same on my other Lynxes.

It's still very usable, just wondered if others had the same.

• Like 1

As SainT says - the delay is the auto preview trying to access the SD card. In an update I will make the delay configurable, and provide the option to only show on press of a button or something.

I thought that too initially. As I had all the ROMs in separate alphabet-based folders.

But I moved all the ROMs to root. I can't remember explicitly deleting the preview folder, but I have since deleted everything on the cart, and re-added just with the games and the menu.bin/menu folder and it still does it.

When I check via terminal, showing all system files etc, I don't see the preview folder either.

Also, would the preview folder explain the A-button presses not always registering?

Maybe something funky my Mac is adding to the root folder? Only seeing these, which I think are standard:

drwxrwxrwx  1 trew  staff   16384 29 Jul 10:10 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 trew  staff   16384 25 Jul 19:44 .Trashes
drwxrwxrwx  1 trew  staff   16384 29 Jul 10:10 .fseventsd
Edited by Trew

I see the same button press issue on mine as well in multiple lyxnes. A first I thought I had bad flex circuits or pads, but it happens on systems with new buttons. I've tried it with and without preview folders. Like you said, you have to press a couple times on the A button or D pad.