IGNORED

New UK Atari Magazine

I enjoy these magazines immensely...but one thing I've noticed about the magazines I've seen recently, and I admit I haven't had the chance to read Excel yet (soon!).... is they leave out the type-in program or programming tutorial.

I personally think people loved that about the old magazines and would still love it. They might not actually re-type them in, but just to get the 'exclusive' or even to casually read through a programming tutorial. With the advent of accelerator based atari's and faster basics like Altirra Basic, some of the old coding styles don't apply any more. While I have seen classic articles that used, for example, Atari's timers rather than delay loops - they were the rarity, but that is really how basic should be coded now. That's an idea for an article, imho.

Anyway, if I weren't in the process of moving, I'd have placed my order today, the magazine looks fantastic. I will be a customer, once this moving is done.

Love the idea of a new magazine, awesome news!

I enjoy these magazines immensely...but one thing I've noticed about the magazines I've seen recently, and I admit I haven't had the chance to read Excel yet (soon!).... is they leave out the type-in program or programming tutorial.

I personally think people loved that about the old magazines and would still love it. They might not actually re-type them in, but just to get the 'exclusive' or even to casually read through a programming tutorial. With the advent of accelerator based atari's and faster basics like Altirra Basic, some of the old coding styles don't apply any more. While I have seen classic articles that used, for example, Atari's timers rather than delay loops - they were the rarity, but that is really how basic should be coded now. That's an idea for an article, imho.

Anyway, if I weren't in the process of moving, I'd have placed my order today, the magazine looks fantastic. I will be a customer, once this moving is done.

Love the idea of a new magazine, awesome news!

Super idea - though the magazines need someone to write these games and submit them. If you can, please do so.

@snicklin, well I didn't want to be presumptuous but I'd be willing to submit an Altirra Basic article.

Unfortunately as far as a full fledged game my main WIP is tied up as an ABBUC contest entry...so I'm unable to commit to anything new for months.

But this isn't a matter of tossing out ideas without willingness to participate, I want to participate...love the magazines, and I'd like to submit an article.

Maybe I didn't fully formulate my thought.

I should have simply asked, looking for articles on programming? LOL...that's more clear, I guess....

Order placed. Man - the dollar isn't worth the paper it's printed on these days!

I agree, $30 for two magazines is a bit out of my range right now. It seems the Royal Mail is following in the footsteps of the USPS too.

Bob, how many magazines can you ship together for the US flat price on your website?

My copy dropped though the letterbox today too, so I thought I'd post a quick review:

Issue #1 of Excel magazine is a thick (44 pages) and glossy A4 magazine from the UK that would look completely at home on the shelves of a newsagent. It's full colour throughout with a very appealing and accomplished design, plenty of illustrations and pictures. Despite being a magazine for a home computer that has been nominally dead for 25-odd years, the majority of the reviews concern software released in the last few months or years. We've got reviews of Manic Miner, and many other recent ZX Spectrum conversions, as well as a review of the SIO2SD hardware, an essential modern companion for your Atari 8-bit. There's plenty more, but I won't spoil it by listing it all here.

As the editor Robert Stuart notes, there is more going on in the Atari 8-bit scene today than there ever was in the past (in the UK anyway).

I hope this magazine is a success and we see lots more issues in the future. I'd encourage everyone to buy a copy and maybe even contribute articles and news about whatever projects you might be working on.

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 3

Got my issue one today as well. First impressions, really good. I enjoyed seeing an old article reprinted from my favourite old mag, Big K.

It's all very professionally put together and compares well with any other A8 magazine that I've read in the past.

Suffice to say, I will be buying issue 2 and hopefully many more after that as well.

• Like 1

Got mine today, not had a long look but have to echo what people have said, very impressive, reads well , looks good and seems pitched in a fun / tech way that makes for an an easy informative read.

And thanks Nysavant, you pre answered a question I just mailed to bob re the old articles, wasn't sure if they were old or made to look old.

Can't say I remember Big K which seems odd as I tjought I'd seen most bits from that era.

Just shows you, marbles going as I speak :)

Paul...

Well done Bob...

A big thumbs up for others to buy from what little I've seen...Nice one mate...

• Like 1

I tried to order my copy. It is said postage is £4.99. But when I want to finish my order it calculates £10 flat rate shipping (to Germany). For me this is to expensive. There must be a way to ship to a fairer rate!? (Order stopped)

I tried to order my copy. It is said postage is £4.99. But when I want to finish my order it calculates £10 flat rate shipping (to Germany). For me this is to expensive. There must be a way to ship to a fairer rate!? (Order stopped)

I'll try to be fair to Bob here.

I can see where you are coming from and it is a lot of money. I had to pay the same and I am in Australia. Even still, it seems a lot of money to me.

However, when I think about it, it probably is around that or maybe some more which will have to be paid to send the magazines to me, perhaps not in 2s though. (as I paid £10 for delivery).

Now the main point that I wanted to make.... I work for an Australian e-Commerce software company. I know how difficult that it is to set up international shipping. It is very difficult and Bob could rack up a lot of costs by consulting with companies to get the cheapest deal, while his deal may be the cheapest, the consultation may cost him dearly. That is fine when you are sending 1000 orders a week, not so good when you are sending perhaps 200 every 2 months. And also, he probably has no clue of what he'll be sending in a months time.

Whenever someone says, "Can you set up PayPal, can you set up Visa, can you set up this or that", it is actually a shed load of work. As Bob is just starting this off, I know that this is difficult for him and feel his pain. Don't worry though, he'll do what he can, but I know that there is a lot of work in the background.