IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

I haven't gone back and re-read this thread, so I'll just ask... for the old Atari football arcade versions... is that the trackball X's and O's game I remember (I have no idea if the game I remember was made by Atari).. ? And if so, how does a trackball that's used for speed as much as direction translate? Just if the stick is pressed fully one way, your guy moves at max speed?

I haven't gone back and re-read this thread, so I'll just ask... for the old Atari football arcade versions... is that the trackball X's and O's game I remember (I have no idea if the game I remember was made by Atari).. ? And if so, how does a trackball that's used for speed as much as direction translate? Just if the stick is pressed fully one way, your guy moves at max speed?

Yes.

In terms of adjustments, just like in Volumes 1 and 2, you can tweak analog sensitivity and how it reacts. The only downside to these collections is that there are no official trackballs and spinners, but then it's too niche to support that sadly.

• Like 1

I'm pretty interested in the deep cuts in this third volume - definitely planning on picking it up and supporting the continued dig into Atari's 70s arcade legacy. I'd love to see a future volume include some of the really funky black and white games and stuff from the 7800!

Number of emulators required was definitely a consideration in what was able to make it on here (it was a cost thing - these are not blockbuster sellers, obviously). I would have preferred incorporating 7800 games into this as well to make it stronger, but it wasn't to be. Considering how much of a struggle this was to pull together (and again, to get them to not repeat past games), I really don't see a Volume 4 at this point. The future of the series lies in other platforms/IP outside of the Atari stable, although there's always a possibility of pulling together a third party Atari 2600 compilation of some type (but without Activision onboard, that would be tough).

Keep in mind as well that Atari does not have rights to most of the game libraries outside of the early arcade games and Atari 2600 stuff. What they do have for their others platforms are either a tiny fraction of what was available (Jaguar) or already represented in arcade or Atari 2600 versions (most of the rest).

• Like 1

Too bad USB mouse support wasn't a thing.

Seems likely to be coming for the Xbox One as Microsoft move closer and closer towards blurring the lines between PC and home console gaming, but obviously a bit too late to help in this instance.

If that happened, we'd suddenly be able to use USB track-balls since it's in essence just a mouse where the PC/console is concerned. It obviously won't help this release, but I hope the feature is utilized in the future by AtGames if that comes to pass.

And while the racing content so far requires free-spinning wheels which don't exist for consoles, I hope AtGames and their developer (Is it still Code Mystics handling this latest release?) realize that racing wheels have become relatively commonplace on Sony and Microsoft consoles. Was always a fringe accessory in the past, but if you're a racing game fan these days past Mario Kart and Wipeout, there's a good chance you also own a wheel/pedal setup or want to in the future.

Hundreds of classics like Pole Position, Roadblasters, Outrun, Hard Drivin', and Night Driver had it happened in this latest volume all would benefit from well implemented wheel support. A developer like Digital Eclipse back on the PS2 could be excused from expending resources there since so few back then had such accessories past PC racing sim fans, but not now.

Would be an unfortunate omission if such content is emulated in future Flashback volumes without full wheel support being offered.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

According to the Playstation blog, volume 3 will release later this week on the 29th. Will this third volume have a physical release later down the line or is it only digital?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/03/23/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-3-27-2018/

They seem to have backtracked on this. It now shows this for Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3.

Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 3
PS4 — Digital (Out 3/29)
Release date corrected.

They seem to have backtracked on this. It now shows this for Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3.

Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 3
PS4 — Digital (Out 3/29)
Release date corrected.

I've asked about any updates to the release date.

In terms of wheel support, I'm not sure what's involved in adding it cost-wise (again, budgets are tight on these), but I'm not sure I agree it's necessarily a common accessory. Still, I agree it would be cool to have.

I definitely wouldn't say they were common in the grand scheme of things. But in comparison to how it was just a couple of generations ago, they're far more popular today on home consoles than they ever were.

They're definitely not the rarity that they once were. If you're the type of gamer that finds yourself gravitating towards playing semi realistic and realistic racing games, there's a decent chance that you also own a wheel/pedal setup. They're also popular in arcade racers like Driveclub and Forza Horizon, but those are sadly few and far between these days.

They're still a niche accessory, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything past futuristic racers and kart racers this generation that doesn't have support programmed in. They're too popular for racing game developers to ignore like they did in the old days outside of PC racing simulators.

Edited by Atariboy

I definitely wouldn't say they were common in the grand scheme of things. But in comparison to how it was just a couple of generations ago, they're far more popular today on home consoles than they ever were.

They're definitely not the rarity that they once were. If you're the type of gamer that finds yourself gravitating towards playing semi realistic and realistic racing games, there's a decent chance that you also own a wheel/pedal setup. They're also popular in arcade racers like Driveclub and Forza Horizon, but those are sadly few and far between these days.

They're still a niche accessory, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything past futuristic racers and kart racers this generation that doesn't have support programmed in. They're too popular for racing game developers to ignore like they did in the old days outside of PC racing simulators.

I still have a nice Logitech G27 setup for my PS3, complete with attached stand for the wheel and pedals. At some point I need to buy an adapter to make it work on the PS4 (for all but manual transmission, sadly). It sucks that there are no universal wheels that work on PS/XB systems, as well as PC. It's always PS/PC or XB/PC, but never PS/XB. I get why that is, but it's still frustrating.

Anyway, it's one of those things that's kind of a pain to setup and use, so I rarely do it, despite how cool it is. Kind of like PSVR or the flight stick setup I have for PS3.

• Like 1

You might want to look into DriveHub. It will let your G27 be used on both the XB1 and PS4, including force feedback (Earlier wheel adapters and generic controller converters like the Brook Super Converter for USB PS2/PS3 accessories, don't transmit the force feedback inputs to the wheel). Sure beats buying everything all over again and letting a perfectly good wheel gather dust just because the platform holders are greedy.

I imagine the manual transmission is still out though.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

You might want to look into DriveHub. It will let your G27 be used on both the XB1 and PS4, including force feedback (Earlier wheel adapters and generic controller converters like the Brook Super Converter for USB PS2/PS3 accessories, don't transmit the force feedback inputs to the wheel). Sure beats buying everything all over again and letting a perfectly good wheel gather dust just because the platform holders are greedy.

I imagine the manual transmission is still out though.

That's nice. I was actually looking at this, which is half the price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302389752774 but it has fewer features than the DriveHub - https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/ . It looks like it supports the gear shifter too!

(EDIT: I just ordered it)

• Like 1

I wonder why Activision isn't in on one of these collections. I have the Activision Anthology Android app and it has been broken for some time. Such as no longer being able to access the instructions and such. Almost as if it has been abandoned. The advantage to these collections over a flashback console is just not having to have another box hooked to the TV. I can only guess they are putting together their own thing, not associated with AtGames.

I wonder why Activision isn't in on one of these collections. I have the Activision Anthology Android app and it has been broken for some time. Such as no longer being able to access the instructions and such. Almost as if it has been abandoned. The advantage to these collections over a flashback console is just not having to have another box hooked to the TV. I can only guess they are putting together their own thing, not associated with AtGames.

We offered to do one with Activision, but they declined at this time. Part of the reason is probably they can just do one themselves if they so chose, but I don't believe they are.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about picking this up but I saw one comment say that the audio is a little off on Centipede 2600.\

Is that true? Can anyone tell me which part sounds off?

Are there any other inaccuracies? Graphical, or otherwise? Just judging by eye I thought the gameplay I've seen posted seemed a little sped up more than usual.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro

I like the idea of these but the cheesy borders just ruin them for me. Can't do it. If there is a way to full screen the games and/or at least turn the borders to black I would be interested. Still....tough to justify when I have most of these carts, and on everdrive, and on emulator... another thing aimed at casual gamers with a touch of nostalgia.

Don't know if this is known yet, but according to Atari's strategic presentation from April, the Nintendo Switch version of Atari Flashback Classics will have 150 games. So pretty much everything from volumes 1 to 3, I suppose. I like how it's all in one package as opposed to switching from one disc to another on Xbox or PS.

http://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/PRES-ATARI-2018-04-US-VDEF2.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Query one: has there been any announcement about volume 3 recently? Like at the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Query two: why are some of these achievements so *(%*)*^ hard? I am down to needing two each on the first two volumes, but I do not think I will ever get them all. I think I might be able to get the For All Insectkind! (300,000 points on Yars' Revenge) achievement, but the Digging Deep (finish level 81 or higher in Tempest without losing a life), Unrocking Your World (reach 50,000 points in Asteroids Deluxe without losing a life), and Red Sunset (reach level 19 in Missile Command) ones are pretty much impossible. I sincerely hope the achievements in volume 3 are easier.

Query one: has there been any announcement about volume 3 recently? Like at the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Query two: why are some of these achievements so *(%*)*^ hard? I am down to needing two each on the first two volumes, but I do not think I will ever get them all. I think I might be able to get the For All Insectkind! (300,000 points on Yars' Revenge) achievement, but the Digging Deep (finish level 81 or higher in Tempest without losing a life), Unrocking Your World (reach 50,000 points in Asteroids Deluxe without losing a life), and Red Sunset (reach level 19 in Missile Command) ones are pretty much impossible. I sincerely hope the achievements in volume 3 are easier.

I believe I saw some limited coverage. It's still targeted for later this year. I've been playing the latest builds on the PS4 and Xbox One, and it's pretty much the same quality as the previous volumes. My main concern is making the controls for the 5200 games better. Otherwise, I have no complaints. In terms of achievements, it's not something I've personally focused on, so can't say if they're any easier. I don't believe they are.

Vol 3 is coming out later this fall.

I like the hard challenges, thats kind of the point. Most of the original atari games on the xbox 360 have achievements that only 1 person has got (250k on asteroids deluxe) or none at all (yellow levels on tempest).

You do know that there are cheats, and options for some of those games. So you can start on level 81 for tempest, but its still hard to finish without dying,

later

Edited by negative1

• 1 month later...

here is the achievement list for vol 3 on the xbox one, don't know most of these games:

=========================

There are 20 achievements worth a total of 1,000 Gamerscore, none of which are secret:

There are 20 achievements worth a total of 1,000 Gamerscore, none of which are secret:
Name Description Gamerscore
A Full Belly Scored 100 or more in Frog Pond 20
Shark Attack Clear an entire Rack in Pool Shark 80
Unearthed Tried every game 20
3-Alarmer Get Extended Play in Fire Truck with two players 20
Victory Lap Get Extended Play in Monte Carlo at Medium setting 20
Sabotage Savant Reach a score of 20,000 or higher in Saboteur 40
We Don't Actually Need a Photograph Complete all 32 levels in Xari Arena 40
I Have a Headache Get to round 10 in Holey Moley 40
Salvage Master Retrieve at least 6 treasures in Aquaventure 40
Excavation Clear the level in Canyon Bomber 40
Maze Evader Get to the top of the local leaderboard in Maze Invaders 40
Safety Patrol Clear the level in Avalanche 40
Skywriting Spell SKYDIVER 40
Clean Sweep Shoot at least 15 objects in a row in Astroblast without any score penalties 40
Undefeated Finish Adventure II without dying once 80
Triple Ace Score at least 65 before refuelling and at least 90 overall in Air Raiders 80
Imp-ressive Do 99 points of damage to the Imp 80
Commander Achieve a Commander rating in Star Raiders 80
8-Bit Slugger Beat the computer in Atari Baseball 80
Yars Strike Back Achieve a score of 300,000 or higher in Yars' Return 80

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1