IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

Too bad they don't give any details. I guess there are other games they've left on the table.

I just played a few rounds of Centipede on the PS4 using the touchpad instead of the Dpad or joystick. It almost works well!

Let's just say it's both interesting and disappointing. It's not exactly how I wanted it to come together, but this one is more on Atari's insistence.

Then it would be called Activision Flashback Classics. This is still Atari stuff.

That is kind of interesting and disappointing. I can't think of many Atari 2600 games that weren't in the first two discs that aren't 3rd party or licenses. The more iconic arcade games have been done as well. I can't think of what would be on it besides games from the 5200 or 7800.

That is kind of interesting and disappointing. I can't think of many Atari 2600 games that weren't in the first two discs that aren't 3rd party or licenses. The more iconic arcade games have been done as well. I can't think of what would be on it besides games from the 5200 or 7800.

To clarify, this new volume features one new Atari platform and incorporates one company's third party 2600 stuff. It's not Activision, though. I merely meant that an Activision edition would be able to stand on its own, much like we're doing for other companies (and no, we're not doing an Activision one at this time). Only Atari-centric volumes will have the Atari label. That likely means 3 will be the last in this specific Atari series given the duplication of the available (meaning what they own) games across other Atari platforms, in addition to the relative lack of more marquee titles that would appeal to a wider audience. I have no other info at this time to share.

• 2 months later...

B&W arcade games like Fire Truck? All I can say is that it's about time. I've been whining about their absence since the mid 1990's when Digital Eclipse was releasing a new compilation every few months. :)

Too bad that Breakout is pre-microcessor. It's a small loss since it wouldn't play well of course with modern controllers and the previously included 2600 port was well done, but it always felt like a hole in the lineup when the 2600 games and arcade Super Breakout would be included but no arcade Breakout. And I assume that none of the Tank games used a microprocessor? Something like Tank 8 would've been neat to see, but if there's no game code, it obviously can't be emulated.

I wonder if Adventure 2 is the 2600 homebrew, or Cafeman's 8-bit Adventure 2? I sure hope it's the latter, even though the former is most likely since it has appeared in other AtGames products. And I wonder if Millipede is the GCC proto for the 2600 or Atari 8-bit.

Hoping for Battlezone, even though I know it's almost assuredly out. Such a notable classic and its absence was a significant one in recent releases, all thanks to its short sighted sale a few years back to a publisher that thinks Battlezone history started in 1998.

That is one that I hope AtGames gives serious thought to attempting to license down the road. It's good enough to go out of the way for and pay a bit extra to secure, if the IP holder has a realistic view on the value of the arcade and 2600 versions.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm surprised they only have the partial list (the ESRB application has been posted for some time, by the way). Yes, it's for both PS4 and Xbox One at this time (that PlayStation-centric site tends to ignore other platforms). Adventure II is the homebrew. No Battlezone (not Atari anymore, nor in AtGames' catalog). There is a new Atari platform on there as well in addition to the usual arcade/Atari 2600 stuff. I guess I'll leave that as a surprise (although I guess you can easily figure it out from one of the games on the partial leaked list).

I suspect this will be the last new Atari-specific volume. We have other non-Atari volumes in the planning/works.

I'm surprised they only have the partial list

Glad to hear this isn't the full list. Here's what PS Blog posted.

Here’s the list of confirmed games (50 games were in each of the prior compilations, so it’s likely that more will be available in the full game):

• Adventure II
  • Air Raiders
  • Aquaventure
  • Astroblast
  • Atari Baseball
  • Atari Football
  • Avalanche
  • Canyon Bomber
  • Fire Truck
  • Frog Pond
  • Holey Moley
  • Maze Invaders
  • Millipede
  • Monte Carlo
  • Pool Shark
  • Saboteur
  • Sky Diver
  • Star Raiders
  • Super Breakout
  • Xari Arena
  • Yars’ Return

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/01/07/atari-flashback-classics-volume-3-revealed-view-game-list/#uSPW52Ic72RC2EHo.99

Astroblast is the M Network (Mattel) version of Astrosmash from the Intellivision, and we've seen a bunch of their stuff on the Flashback consoles.

Yes, it will be 50 games (assuming no unforeseen issues in development). It wasn't easy getting there this time. While I don't think the value is necessarily there for the mainstream market like it was for the first two volumes (although $19.99 or less (with sales) is not exactly a high barrier to entry), this is definitely more of a fan service release. Hopefully it at least breaks even.

The other, non-Atari volumes will once again be more mainstream interesting.

Adventure II is the homebrew.

Wouldn't both Adventure II's be considered homebrews?

Are you confirming that it's the Atari 8-bit version? I don't recall the 8k Adventure hack for the 2600 appearing before the Flashback 2, with regular appearances on subsequent AtGames releases. So if the term homebrew was attached to only one of the two, Cafeman's original creation for the 5200 seems to be the one with a less commercial foundation.

Yet it's the 2600 hack that has made it out on the Flashback plug and play line, so I imagine it's this one that's included.

Edited by Atariboy

If you don't mind another question, any chance that the arcade version of Food Fight is here, Bill?

That saw a Game Room release on the Xbox 360, the only Atari coin-op on that service that wasn't drawn from the usual standbys like Centipede and Asteroids.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Too bad about Food Fight. Hopefully you guys can manage that in a future arcade collection, even if it's not an Atari-centric one. It's commonplace arcade hardware with a Motorola 68000 cpu at its core, unlike the exotic hardware of I, Robot.

If AtGames ever manages a licensing agreement with Warner for the Midway/Williams/Atari Games catalog, emulating this hardware is going to be necessary for several flagship Atari Games releases. So I hope they'd consider cheating and sneaking Food Fight into such a Midway release if it ever occurs, even if it this particular title predates the split-up of Atari Inc and wouldn't quite fit the theme.

Does this mean it's not Code Mystics handing development this time? They take partial credit for the Midway Arcade level pack for Lego Dimensions, which includes games that used this arcade hardware (Badlands, Blasteroids, and Klax). So I presume they handled all the actual arcade emulation there, since I believe Backbone Entertainment (Midway Arcade Origins) was already shuttered at this point and the new Digital Eclipse was just getting started with Mega Man Legacy Collection.

That means Code Mystics already has emulated the hardware that Food Fight runs on.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1