IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

i'm curious as to what arcade games, if any, will be included this time.

later

We already know of 25 games that will be included. The list includes six of Atari's black & white raster arcade games from the late 1970's, a never released color game from the early 1980's, and Monte Carlo from 1980. Looks like a very intriguing lineup for compilation fans that have grown tired of the same old rehashes, so hopefully AtGames will be rewarded for taking the risk of going with a lot of lesser known games here.

• Adventure II (2600; Modern-day homebrew sequel)
  • Air Raiders (2600; M-Network release)
  • Aquaventure (2600; Never released 1983 prototype)
  • Asteroids (5200)
  • Astroblast (2600; M-Network release)
  • Atari Baseball (B&W 1979 Atari arcade release)
  • Atari Football (B&W 1979 Atari arcade release)
  • Avalanche (B&W 1978 Atari arcade release)
  • Canyon Bomber (B&W 1977 Atari arcade release)
  • Centipede (5200)
  • Fire Truck (B&W 1978 Atari arcade release)
  • Frog Pond (2600; Never released 1982 prototype)
  • Holey Moley (2600; Never released 1983 prototype)
  • Maze Invaders (Never released 1981 Atari arcade proto)
  • Millipede (5200; Never released 1984 prototype)
  • Missile Command (5200)
  • Monte Carlo (1980 Atari arcade release)
  • Pool Shark (B&W 1977 Atari arcade release)
  • Saboteur (2600; Never released 1983 prototype)
  • Sky Diver (2600)
  • Star Raiders (5200)
  • Star Strike (2600; M-Network release)
  • Super Breakout (5200)
  • Xari Arena (5200; Never released 1983 prototype)
  • Yars’ Return (2600; Modern-day homebrew sequel)

I've taken educated guesses on the Atari 5200 being the platform for some of these, since I doubt it's the computer/XEGS line featured here (And I've never heard of Xari Arena being in the works for the computer side).

And Millipede could conceivably be the 2600 GCC version that Atari didn't pick up in favor of their own in-house version (Like some Atari Flashback 2's featured), but I doubt it. If AtGames had any interest there or permission to use the GCC variant, they'd of probably snuck it in as an easter egg on a Flashback plug and play by now. So my money is on this Millipede being the 5200 port.

Hoping at least another arcade classic or two is yet to be announced for the other half of the collection.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

So we already know that it has six of Atari's black & white raster arcade games from the late 1970's, a never released color game from the early 1980's, and Monte Carlo from 1980. And Bill has already said that this should have approximately 50 classics, just like the earlier collections.

So perhaps another arcade classic or two is yet to be announced.

You pretty much nailed it, at least as far as the pseudo-leak goes. I'm really not sure when the full details will be revealed.

That sounds interesting. Old black and white games are old, but probably more playable than home stuff from the same era like Home Run and Football.

Will there be historical information, at least some title cards about what is what?

It's meant to match the overall look, feel, and features of the previous volumes.

Night Driver is a notable early microprocessor based Atari cabinet. Any hope for this one being one of the 25 yet to be announced titles, Bill?

That one and Fire Truck were the two black & white Atari cabinets at the top of my wishlist, although neither are going to be ideal fits for analog sticks or d-pads (A common complaint with Atari's arcade catalog).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

That one and Fire Truck were the two black & white Atari cabinets at the top of my wishlist, although neither are going to be ideal fits for analog sticks or d-pads (A common complaint with Atari's arcade catalog).

From what I remember about that one, it was a huge cabinet, that had a place to sit and steer (The front) and a place to stand and steer (the back of the truck)

I can vaguely recall playing that game a few times with my father at a mall arcade we would go to. I was pretty young though, and seem to recall not being very good at it.

I was curious what some of the other potential 5200 inclusions might be (If any). I think this is a fairly accurate list of playable 1st party titles that don't require outside licenses, based off the AtariAge rarity guide.

• Final Legacy (Prototype; Finished)
  • Meebzork (Prototype; Two drastically different but playable versions)
  • Micro-gammon SB (Prototype; Finished)
  • Miniature Golf (Prototype; Finished)
  • Realsports Baseball
  • Realsports Basketball (Prototype; Two different but playable versions, the latter in final form)
  • Realsports Football
  • Realsports Soccer
  • Realsports Tennis
  • Tempest (Prototype; Long shot in finished form, since it was only brought to a complete state just recently)

Hopefully a few more prototypes follow Asteroids (A problematic title back in the day that should benefit greatly from modern controllers), Millipede, and Xari Arena. And I imagine several of the Realsports entries are likely safe bets, unless they feel like the keypad use in them makes them undesirable.

Tempest if happens, I imagine will almost certainly be the unfinished prototype that will just be a curiosity (Like the 2600 version that appears on Flashback consoles and compilations). Too bad since it's a holy grail for the 5200 and a great conversion. This and Cafeman's Adventure II would've been neat to see.

Edited by Atariboy

I believe Atari owns 2600 Adventure II, but they dont own the ROM for Adventure II 5200. They allowed me to use the name, but under strict rules, and in fair trade I gave Curt's team design info to create that 8K 2600 version. Thus, I think Atari doesn't even consider using the 5200 version.

Flashbacks in the past did use 2600 homebrew games like Atari Climber, so I'm not sure why 5200 homebrews wouldnt be considered as desirable extra content on one of these game compilations, especially since they are now including other 5200 games and must have the emulation down pat. It would be interesting to read a more informed explanation for how these decisions are made.

• Like 2

I believe Atari owns 2600 Adventure II, but they dont own the ROM for Adventure II 5200. They allowed me to use the name, but under strict rules, and in fair trade I gave Curt's team design info to create that 8K 2600 version. Thus, I think Atari doesn't even consider using the 5200 version.

Flashbacks in the past did use 2600 homebrew games like Atari Climber, so I'm not sure why 5200 homebrews wouldnt be considered as desirable extra content on one of these game compilations, especially since they are now including other 5200 games and must have the emulation down pat. It would be interesting to read a more informed explanation for how these decisions are made.

Simple. Original homebrews don't have the same type of nostalgia that original games do. The exceptions are the hacks and homebrews grandfathered into the physical units. Beyond that there's no interest at this time in including them on the disc-based console compilations. In fact, for 2018, you won't see any homebrews built into any of the Flashback products anymore (with some notable exceptions). They'll be available separately (for free, just not built-in).

thanks for all the information everyone.

i am looking forward to leaderboards for ALL the games, not just the arcade ones. (the console games didn't have leaderboards last time unfortunately)

another feature that would be great, is to have replays of the games, that way hackers and cheats

would be easier to see.

later

I was hoping for this new collection to have Atari 7800 games included. Especially since acquiring some of the original games are quite expensive nowadays such as the NTSC versions of Fatal Run and Motor Psycho.

Looking at the Atari IP list they publish on their investor website, they do own a bit of 7800 games such as Centipede, Asteroids, Basketbrawl, Scrapyard Dog, Alien Brigade, Planet Smashers, Ninja Golf, Fatal Run, Dark Chambers, Desert Falcon, Food Fight, Meltdown, Sentinel, Motor Psycho, and Realsports Baseball (may have missed one or two others). It's too bad none of these will be available in Vol. 3. Guess I'll continue the hunt for the two mentioned above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just playing Enduro on Game Room for the Xbox 360. If we ever get an Activision Flashback Classics on home consoles, I hope AtGames does the same thing that Microsoft's developer did here.

Instead of pushing back on the joystick to brake, it's mapped to a button of its own. No accidental triggering of your brake pedal can happen then just from steering.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I was just playing Enduro on Game Room for the Xbox 360. If we ever get an Activision Flashback Classics on home consoles, I hope AtGames does the same thing that Microsoft's developer did here.

Instead of pushing back on the joystick to brake, it's mapped to a button of its own. No accidental triggering of your brake pedal can happen then just from steering.

If I recall, Activision was not interested in pursuing that at this time. Never say never, though.

That's Activision though, so won't be here.

But one would hope that if AtGames and Activision do eventually agree to doing a console compilation, that AtGames would take advantage of this 5200 emulator by including those versions alongside the 2600 versions where possible (And include those that aren't on the 2600 of course, like Dreadnaught Factor and Zone Ranger).

Same if they've happened to do anything with other platforms like the Colecovision on modern console hardware by that point.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Was bored and figured I'd see what other M-Network titles are possible inclusions here (We already know about Air Raiders, Astroblast, and Star Strike). These are the remaining Mattel games that were on the Atari Flashback 8 plug and play. I imagine all 7 are safe bets.

• Armor Ambush
  • Dark Cavern
  • Frogs and Flies
  • International Soccer
  • Space Attack
  • Super Challenge Baseball
  • Super Challenge Football

Sea Battle and Sword Fight also appeared, but are listed in the AA rarity guide as Intellivision Productions. I assume they're likely here as well. The rest of the M-Network library are ports of arcade games, games based off someone else's IP, or prototypes that aren't being allowed out.

And these are the remaining 1st party Atari 2600 titles from the Atari Flashback 8 Gold that weren't already in the first two collections or are currently known to be included here. I imagine several of these will make the cut, joining Aquaventure and the like that weren't included in the first two volumes.

• Fun with Numbers
  • MotoRodeo
  • Solaris
  • Wizard
Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

To clarify on that last bit, I mean non-licensed 1st party Atari 2600 games. The Atari published Jungle Hunt port made an appearance on the Atari Flashback 8 and Atari Flashback 8 Gold (But not the Activision Edition model).

Whether or not something like that is carried over to here remains to be seen, and is anything but a sure bet.

Edited by Atariboy

just a note in case anyone knows.

i've been playing atari collection part 1 on the xbox one.

i had some previous scores on the leaderboards for some games.

i just recently played and did better, but the scores didn't update. are the servers down? or it is only for gold members (i'm a silver member)

just wondering.

later