IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

Does anyone havea problem with the "paddle games" on the Xbox One Atari compilations? I tried Warlords and Breakout, and to get he genuine experience, and the ability to "dial any posiition" I selected absolute posiitioning. Otherwise it feels like a "joystick replacement" version of it.

This setup would make the Atari 5200 controllers a welcome edition. Because when you try to finely dial a position, you have to actively HOLD it in postion, instead of a 2600 paddle or 5200 stick of moving to the postition and relaxing. You're actually using muscles to fight centering resistance.

That's why self centering would be a bad thing in most analog 5200 games, even though it would come in handy in digital 5200 games.

I tried purchasing something that lets you plug in Atari 2600 paddles. Apparently the Xbox One doesn't support it. Too many of the games are too controller-specific, whether it be paddles, spinners, trackballs, flight yolks, or light guns.

Some of these games are unplayable with a standard controller, especially paddle games.

WOW volume 3 is literally a museum piece -- there are ancient arcade games on here from the 1970s that I've never seen collected before. There are the same Mattel games we have seen on the plug and play collections, and --a first I believe-- are some 5200/8-bit games.

For me, the highlights are the "5200" (they're all labeled that way even if they're computer ports) of the 2600/arcade games I know so well -- Super Breakout, Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command. They remind me how just how transitional a system the 5200 was, and give me a newfound appreciation for volumes 1 and 2.

Controls for anything that needed more than a stick and a button or two are buried in menus. There's a reason most of this stuff hasn't appeared before or elsewhere. It's mostly inaccessible, ugly, and aged. That's not a problem for me because I'm curious about this stuff, but as you might expect, this one won't be well received by places like Metacritic, and is for the colllectors and historians only.

Recommended for "people like us" but the normies will want to stay far far away.

• Like 6

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/atari-flashback-classics-vol-3/bqzxbczxhhmp?ocid=periscope&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Found it in the store online, but when I tried to search from the Xbox One itself it didn't pull up anything except for Vol 1 and 2. Weird.

I went to buy it last night, and the store says "currently not available." ???

... And now it's completely gone from the Xbox store.

Flojo, how did you buy this? Or are you trolling us? :-D

I assure you that if I were trolling you, you'd know it. :D I bought it from the link Moycon provided on Thursday, and posted my impressions about it soon after trying it out on Saturday. The link might not be searchable, but it's clickable and says "not available." I quoted it above.

Something similar happened with Tempest 4000 on the Playstation 4 -- it was (accidentally?) put up for sale for a brief moment, then taken down again. The physical shipment was delayed, and comments on the Llamasoft discussion board led me to believe it was because of certifications or localization work on the Xbone version.

I am guessing they are trying to line up a simultaneous release for the PS4, Xbone, and Switch versions, but I don't know. I can try to answer questions about the Xbone version but as you saw from my comments, waiting for a wide release of this one won't hurt much.

PS4 file size for the first two were under 400 MB.

With economies from integration, under 1 gig seems legitimately possible for a combined collection. With the smallest (cheapest) cartridge being the 1 GB size, it's hopefully safe from a day 1 patch.

Luckily there's not a 512 MB option...

Edited by Atariboy

PS4 file size for the first two were under 400 MB.

With economies from integration, under 1 gig seems legitimately possible for a combined collection. With the smallest (cheapest) cartridge being the 1 GB size, it's hopefully safe from a day 1 patch.

Luckily there's not a 512 MB option...

which is still a mind-bogglingly large cartridge capacity by 1970s/1980s/1990s standards ... especially for a collection of games that are under 8kb in capacity each

post-2410-0-84977900-1539807832.jpg

Man, this seems killer! Perfect for the Switch. Ideally it will have ad-hoc multiplayer between two nearby Switches.

played all the single player games. the sounds on the 5200 arcade ports, missile command, centipede, and millipede

sound arcade perfect but the games aren't.

why didn't missile command have 3 bases. the framerate for the millipede is too slow, but the rest of the characters are fine.

the centipede game plays decently.

the arcade games are all hit and miss, and have leaderboards.

the game that makes the collection is : maze invaders 1981 - prototype

WHY WASNT THIS GAME RELEASED.

i love this game, and will buy it just for this game, it is amazing (no pun intended).

i can't get enough of this game.

later