IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

18 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Popped in volume 2 today for the PS4 and discovered what I think is the first game that hasn't been emulated to my satisfaction in these Atari collections from Code Mystics. Something is terribly off with the audio in Night Driver for the Atari 2600. 

It surprises me since I know for certain I've played it on another platform before and it sounded as it should (I'm thinking it likely was the all-in-one collection for the Vita). I even deleted it and tried it unpatched just to see if something inadvertently got broken with an update, but it still sounded poor.

The original sounded pretty poor, so I don't know how much of improvement there would be.

later

10 hours ago, Halycon275 said:

achievements for atari games? no thanks

Achievements are the modern day high score chase. It's a perfectly wonderful addition to gaming with zero downsides in my opinion. I especially like achievements retro fitted on classic games. It creates a whole new way to play well-worn favorites. It's like how we added online leaderboards to arcade games on the Legends Ultimate home arcade. It's there to use if you want it, but changes nothing if you don't.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Achievements are the modern day high score chase. It's a perfectly wonderful addition to gaming with zero downsides in my opinion. I especially like achievements retro fitted on classic games. It creates a whole new way to play well-worn favorites. It's like how we added online leaderboards to arcade games on the Legends Ultimate home arcade. It's there to use if you want it, but changes nothing if you don't.

loved your book by the way, very informative. i'm a writer myself you know?

On 5/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, negative1 said:

The original sounded pretty poor, so I don't know how much of improvement there would be.

later

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about sound accuracy. Night Driver on the PS4 didn't sound the other evening like I thought it should. 

I'll have to pull out the paddles soon and revisit it on a real VCS, but it seemed quite off in the audio department. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 6:10 PM, negative1 said:

cool, would like to see some reviews of it,

since it will be awhile before i get it.

hope the new versions are worth it.

later

and.... almost 2 years later.

i'm buying the physical edition of volume 3 for the xbox one. i could have gone digital like i did for the first 2..

but its cheaper buying a disc. 

i'm also clearing out some of the achievements from volume 1 and 2 that i hadn't got too.

still, lots of tough ones in there, and i'm expecting volume 3 to have some more hard ones also.

later

• Like 1

I think you'll be pleased with volume 3. Was a big pleasure seeing an era of Atari's arcade history that's typically ignored finally being represented on a commercial classic gaming compilation. And even better, most of the arcade games play surprisingly well with a modern gamepad and were a joy to experience on this release.

I haven't personally spent much time on the 2600/5200 side with volume 3, but it of course was also nice to see 5200 games finally making an appearance and there's several good 2600 games like the modern Adventure II (Even though the arcade and 5200 games steal the show).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

I think you'll be pleased with volume 3. Was a big pleasure seeing an era of Atari's arcade history that's typically ignored finally being represented on a commercial classic gaming compilation. And even better, most of the arcade games play surprisingly well with a modern gamepad and were a joy to experience on this release.

I haven't personally spent much time on the 2600/5200 side with volume 3, but it of course was also nice to see 5200 games finally making an appearance and there's several good 2600 games like the modern Adventure II (Even though the arcade and 5200 games steal the show).

I've already played all the games on it.

I really liked the unreleased prototype for maze invaders. It's a great game,

I'm surprised it wasn't released.

i was just too lazy to buy it, and was going to wait for a sale. But since i found

a physical copy. I figured it was a good time to get it.

doesn't look like there are leaderboards for the games, that's too bad.

later

I'm sure there's leaderboards for the arcade games. The PS4 counterpart definitely has them and were still active not long ago.

There have been patches on the PS4, so I'd double check that the XB1 version is fully updated. 

Edit: Leaderboards still active over on the PS4 this morning and a total of four patches were released for this version. So I really think the lack of leaderboards for you on the XB1 probably is because you've not updated it to the latest version. 

Edited by Atariboy

6 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I'm sure there's leaderboards for the arcade games. The PS4 counterpart definitely has them and were still active not long ago.

There have been patches on the PS4, so I'd double check that the XB1 version is fully updated. 

Edit: Leaderboards still active over on the PS4 this morning and a total of four patches were released for this version. So I really think the lack of leaderboards for you on the XB1 probably is because you've not updated it to the latest version. 

thanks, i'll check again when i get the disc.

later