IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

Hi Bill, this collection will have extras? And what are the extras in this collection? Like, cover history, game history, etc? Thanks! Already pre order from Amazon!

Just the usual stuff. Manual and flyer scans and a few extra images/photos here and there to look at. I do like the idea of cover histories (goodness knows Atari 2600 games had lots of variations) and other written histories (and even some video interviews), but that's not in the plan.

If that means that they're also not going to include multiple scans of cartridge labels and such for those titles that had later production runs with different label styles, one thing that slightly bugged me on the DS collections that would be easy to fix is the system's instruction manual. On both compilations, the exact same 2600 manual scan was included.

So if they're also going to include that here, it would be an extremely simple and nice touch if volume 1 perhaps included the initial manual from 1977 while volume 2 featured a later revision such as the one for the 4 switcher woodgrain revision that's best remembered today.

Then there's no duplication of scanned material and a little bit more of Atari's history is represented at the same time.

Edited by Atariboy

If that means that they're also not going to include multiple scans of cartridge labels and such for those titles that had later production runs with different label styles, one thing that slightly bugged me on the DS collections that would be easy to fix is the system's instruction manual. On both compilations, the exact same 2600 manual scan was included.

So if they're also going to include that here, it would be an extremely simple and nice touch if volume 1 perhaps included the initial manual from 1977 while volume 2 featured a later revision such as the one for the 4 switcher woodgrain revision that's best remembered today.

Then there's no duplication of scanned material and a little bit more of Atari's history is represented at the same time.

The issue with that is each volume is meant to stand alone, so there really wouldn't be a place for historical materials that call back to previous volumes. Again, that will become more obvious once we move past 1 and 2 and venture into new territory in terms of games and platforms.

I'm not sure that I understand.

I'm just nitpicking with a tiny suggestion on how to improve the bonus section of scanned materials for this upcoming pair of collections compared to how the same developer handled it in on the Nintendo DS a few years back. I wasn't saying that earlier Atari compilations should be referenced in any way.

In the bonus sections of Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2, they both included a 2600 manual scan. I believe it was the one with this particular cover. What I was saying was that if they do similarly here, they should mix it up slightly by at least including an alternative 2600 manual in the 2nd volume, such as perhaps this one.

Not including every iteration of a cartridge label and manual is one thing (I'm not even sure if the AA rarity guide has it all?). But while it really doesn't matter since so few would actually look through both of them, this small change would be so easy to do.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm not sure that I understand.

I'm just nitpicking with a tiny suggestion on how to improve the bonus section of scanned materials for this upcoming pair of collections compared to how the same developer handled it in on the Nintendo DS a few years back. I wasn't saying that earlier compilations should be referenced in any way.

I was referring to this:

I thought you meant different manuals for games initially, but now I see what you mean. I don't think they're including 2600 console manuals based on what I've seen. Like Atari Vault, this really won't be heavy on historical materials. Future volumes will follow a similar model. These will primarily be focused on gameplay and simplified UI over the extra presentation elements you sometimes find in collections like these.

I can't say I mind either way myself. Ultimately even though I obviously love the history, I do really just want to play the games in the end.

• Like 1

I can't say I mind either way myself. Ultimately even though I obviously love the history, I do really just want to play the games in the end.

Alas, I suspect that most people fall into that category -- those of use who care about the documentation of classic games are a small minority within an already small niche. And we already know where to go for this type of information.

One of the first of these compilations -- Intellivision Classic Games, on the original PlayStation -- includes some interview footage with the original programmers. I wonder how many people who bought the disk ever watched that content. (I certainly did...)

Commercials were cool too....I think Activision Anthology had those. Konami Arcade Classics and Tecmo Arcade Xbox had nice menu's\GUI's. Midway collections on PS1 had some rare games like Moon Patrol. The Taito collections were fantastic.

Would be nice to see a website or some wiki page with information on arcade collections. Everything that was released and what they contained, just because. :P

Years ago I picked up the Taco Bell Atari collections for PC which I think were done with Adobe Air.....wasn't Curt or someone involved with those? :)

Would be nice to see a website or some wiki page with information on arcade collections. Everything that was released and what they contained, just because. :P

This list is limited to PS 2 compilations because, well, that is what I have:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ab443/arcade_games.htm

If someone wants to expand upon it, please feel welcome -- but please remember to give credit.

• Like 1

Happily since it means that there's a lot more classic compilations that qualify for inclusion in North America, you missed a fair bit of stuff with that one, actually.

If it's of any help to you or anyone that reads that, a quick scan of it shows 2001's Namco Museum from Mass Media as absent. Only the much later Digital Eclipse produced compilation that was subtitled 50th Anniversary is listed, which was the first for Namco that utilized emulation and which had a different and much expanded game lineup.

There should also be Metal Slug Anthology and several dedicated fighting game collections from SNK down. Capcom also had at least two Street Fighter arcade compilation on the PS2, besides the inclusions of a few titles in the Capcom Classics line which you did list.

Also don't see two of the five unlockable arcade games in Sega Genesis Collection listed nor is Mega Man Anniversary Collection's pair of unlockable arcade games listed. And Midway pulled Mortal Kombat from Midway Arcade Treasures 2 to include in Mortal Kombat: Deception, although this one doesn't qualify as a compilation of any sort.

And the listed Sega Classics Collection is a collection of remakes, with none of the efforts attempting to remain faithful to the original source material. Doesn't really belong with the others, in my opinion.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Well, if you were talking about collections released as plug-n-play systems, my website would have you covered. Clearly, then, you are in the wrong for asking the wrong question. ;)

Years ago I picked up the Taco Bell Atari collections for PC which I think were done with Adobe Air.....wasn't Curt or someone involved with those? :)

Yes--specifically, they were coded by Marty Goldberg as a Legacy Engineering production. I remember him telling us, in the thread about the Taco Bell promo, that some people asked him to sign their copies when he mentioned that he was the developer of the games (this was when he was at a Taco Bell to get copies for himself).

onmode-ky

• Like 1

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Atari Flashback Classics: Volume 2"

Estimated arrival date: October 04, 2016

"Atari Flashback Classics: Volume 1"

Estimated arrival date: October 04, 2016

Woot!!

I fired up the old Xbox Game Room last night in anticipation. Even snagged a few new medals. Kinda wish you could still buy games.

• Like 2

I fired up the old Xbox Game Room last night in anticipation. Even snagged a few new medals. Kinda wish you could still buy games.

Me too :(

I wanted to add Pressure Cooker for the 2600, Thin Ice and Shark! Shark! for the Intellivision, and some more Konami games like Battlantis and Missing in Action. But I dragged my feet and can't now, although I at least have most of what I wanted.

Hopefully the PS4's Arcade Archives line eventually at least will get all of these Konami titles. Unlike the 2600 and Intellivision lineups, some real rarities appeared here not to mention favorites like Pooyan that haven't appeared on consoles in the West since their first compilation on the PS1 20 years ago.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Will this be physical versions only? With Sega updating their Steam collection with a game room interface, I would love to see that done with Atari for Xbox One/PS4.

A digital shelf with your collection of purchased games. No need to use separate disks for a different set of games (unless it installs the games into your collection). DLC packs for future volumes.

Edited by romeoteknik

Hopefully the PS4's Arcade Archives line eventually at least will get all of these Konami titles. Unlike the 2600 and Intellivision lineups, some real rarities appeared here not to mention favorites like Pooyan that haven't appeared on consoles in the West since their first compilation on the PS1 20 years ago.

I actually discovered Pooyan on a pirate Famicom multicart, and enjoyed it enough that I tracked down the original. Now I've got it for both 2600 and Famicom. I think the 2600 games was it's only release inside the united states??? Fun little title.

As stated earlier, this is a regular console release in every way, which includes a digital release. However, at this time, there are no plans to have a unified interface for all of the games regardless of whether you purchase this on disc or digitally. Each volume, whether it's 1, 2, 3, 4, or beyond, will be a collection of 50 games (plus DLC) in a stand-alone set.

And yes, leods, I'm sure there will be regular updates and patches for the games just like every other game on modern console, PC, or mobile. No reason not to take advantage of being able to tweak things or make things better post-release.

I actually discovered Pooyan on a pirate Famicom multicart, and enjoyed it enough that I tracked down the original. Now I've got it for both 2600 and Famicom. I think the 2600 games was it's only release inside the united states??? Fun little title.

Pooyan actually saw quite a few 8-bit computer releases, but, unfortunately, no pre-Crash console releases back in the day other than for the 2600. It's a pity too, because it's one of my favorite games, although I did at least get to play the heck out of it on my C-64.

• Like 2

Pooyan actually saw quite a few 8-bit computer releases, but, unfortunately, no pre-Crash console releases back in the day other than for the 2600. It's a pity too, because it's one of my favorite games, although I did at least get to play the heck out of it on my C-64.

Well I guess Famicom being released in 1983 counts as pre-crash, or not really since there was technically no "crash" in Japan... :P

Many of the early NROM Famicom games (1983-1986) are very arcade-like in nature. It wasn't until the advanced mappers came along that games got a lot more complex. A fair number of quite good arcade ports and arcade-like Famicom games released in Japan that never made it to the NES. Those early games that did make it became known as "black box" titles in the US, with actual pixel artwork on the labels. A few of them that didn't eventually got ported to VC in the west.

Well I guess Famicom being released in 1983 counts as pre-crash, or not really since there was technically no "crash" in Japan... :P

Many of the early NROM Famicom games (1983-1986) are very arcade-like in nature. It wasn't until the advanced mappers came along that games got a lot more complex. A fair number of quite good arcade ports and arcade-like Famicom games released in Japan that never made it to the NES. Those early games that did make it became known as "black box" titles in the US, with actual pixel artwork on the labels. A few of them that didn't eventually got ported to VC in the west.

Yeah, I wasn't counting non-North American releases. Speaking on NES black box titles, I have a fondness for those early NES/Famicom games. They seemed to suit the hardware especially well and certainly appealed more to my sensibilities then (and I suppose now).

And yes, leods, I'm sure there will be regular updates and patches for the games just like every other game on modern console, PC, or mobile. No reason not to take advantage of being able to tweak things or make things better post-release.

My question was not wether there would be any updates, but wether the disc alone will play without requiring any patches.

My question was not wether there would be any updates, but wether the disc alone will play without requiring any patches.

I don't know. I imagine like anything else, if you don't update at some point you can't do any of the online stuff or score achievements, etc.