IGNORED

Should I Buy a Jaguar

bmadgames

You can score one off of eBay for $160 or less, generally in great condition. Take your time and maybe find someone on the forums with a nice used one that is willing to sell you directly without eBay scalping prices and you should be able to pick one up for about $125. If you're wanting the brand new in box experience, Best Electronics or MyAtari (B&C) are definitely both great choices and have been around forever.

It's a shame the Jaguar is so expensive now ... it's going to be a costly way to play a small library. I would get one with the AV cable if at all possible. Like Clint, I think a gently used one would be fine.

Best Electronics wants $250 for a new one (that's the launch price!) but they do have that wackadoo text website, which is worth something. http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

I have zero regrets about my Jaguar purchases over the years. It's my second-most played console (after the 7800) and well-worth the money (even at these inflated prices) just for Tempest 2000, which is, after all these years, simply amazing. I certainly have better consoles in my collection (I'm thinking about my Dreamcasts) that I simply don't play very often. My Jag still gets tons of action, though.

• Like 4

Being super brutally honest here... no, you should not.

If you have plenty of money, no real savings plan (you should), no kids to take care of, and no family... or you are already independently wealthy, or make tons of money in a great career... then don't even get involved in the Atari Jaguar scene.

I can't even believe how much a single Jaguar (by itself) goes for on eBay, let alone games that I bought at liquidation for $5 bucks each back in 1997 from KayBee Toys.

It's a lot of fun though, but man, it's not worth the money if you're not already invested in it.

• Like 3

It's a lot of fun though, but man, it's not worth the money if you're not already invested in it.

No doubt, it's like saying "should I get into TurboGrafx" or "Should I get into Neo Geo"

Well yest the systems are fun but you will spend thousands putting a solid collection together.

As I mentioned the upcoming SD cart should go a long way towards mitigating costs for the individual who just wants to game.

Thats how I play Turbografx....with a TurboEverdrive. I don't think I even own a single game for it. Just controllers and team tap!

Jag could be this way in 1-3 years. In the meantime don't pay $40-$70 for any of the crap games...here's looking at you DDV

• Like 2

No doubt, it's like saying "should I get into TurboGrafx" or "Should I get into Neo Geo"

Well yest the systems are fun but you will spend thousands putting a solid collection together.

As I mentioned the upcoming SD cart should go a long way towards mitigating costs for the individual who just wants to game.

Thats how I play Turbografx....with a TurboEverdrive. I don't think I even own a single game for it. Just controllers and team tap!

Jag could be this way in 1-3 years. In the meantime don't pay $40-$70 for any of the crap games...here's looking at you DDV

I had a very nice NEC TurboGraFX-16 system complete with docking station, RGB, and the CD drive... along with the multi-tap adaptor, and 5 controllers. I also had like 15 CDs and a few HUE cards or whatever they're called. The only games I ever played was Alex Kidd, Bonk 1 and 2, and the Ys Adventures.

I sold the entire thing on eBay for over $500 bucks... that was like 3 years ago I think. But I was glad to off-load it. I liked the games, but just too much stuff.

• Like 1

With Turbo or Neo Geo, you don't even need the original hardware. Emulation is quite nice for those machines, and many of their better games are for sale digitally. Jaguar is more of an oddity because you really need the original hardware, more so than anything else from that era.

But yeah, I think it's too late to have fun with it. If you have to ask, you'd probably be disappointed. A person should know what they're buying into.

Probably not, at this point it's insanely expensive to get into with IMO very little reward. OTOH if a Jag SD cart does come out, hardware sales could jump even more, which could spike an interest in the original games and those could jump even higher and there will be much fewer NIB/great condition CIB copies around. My advice would be to use a Jag emulator, download some ROMs and see if you think it's worth the investment. Unless you already have every other console you want I'd look elsewhere.

• Like 3

If you have a crap-ton of money and you've already exhausted other options, then sure, go for it. Otherwise, your money is better spent elsewhere. It's not that the Jaguar is a bad system, it's just too much of a financial investment these days. Many of us got into it when it could be had for under $50 and games were $10 to $20 a pop at the very most, CIB. There are better platforms for half the price it goes for these days, with far more extensive libraries.

This is one of the very few systems i have sold and re-bought every few years. I just can't figure out if i really like it or not lol. I ended up keeping it the last time i re-bought it a year ago cause prices were starting to really go up on system and games. I mostly play only 3 games on it: Raiden, Tempest 2000 & Defender 2000. There is a few others i play and some great homebrew that recently came out but overall i find myself not playing very many games on it. One thing i do notice is when people notice it sitting on a shelf they usually have some good memories to share about it.

Edited by cjameslv
  • Like 1

I admit, my TG-16/CD collection has cost me a pretty penny, but Neo Geo has an excellent alternative. Go onto Amazon and order the Neo Geo X...$250 and you can get the base system with all of the game expansions as well as a graphics update, and I will attest it is a remarkable facsimile of the actual article. I'm usually not a huge fan of emulators, but that one really won me over.

I had a very nice NEC TurboGraFX-16 system complete with docking station, RGB, and the CD drive... along with the multi-tap adaptor, and 5 controllers. I also had like 15 CDs and a few HUE cards or whatever they're called. The only games I ever played was Alex Kidd, Bonk 1 and 2, and the Ys Adventures.

I sold the entire thing on eBay for over $500 bucks... that was like 3 years ago I think. But I was glad to off-load it. I liked the games, but just too much stuff.

Alex Kidd? You mean Keith Courage?

I will say there are a lot of AWESOME games on the TG-16, particularly if you like shooters. Blazing Lazers remains a favorite, and it has a lot of other gems that really make me wonder if the system could have done a lot better had NEC not had such crap advertising (look up some old TG-16 ads...they're awful) and bothered to import the best games from Japan, where it took a large market share from Nintendo and Sega. On that note, there is a guy on eBay that does system repairs who can add a region free card so you can play imported games, and those are some of the best ones out there.

• Like 1

look up some old TG-16 ads...they're awful

Yeah haha they tried to do the "cool suburban kid with tude'" like SEGA! but failed miserably...lol

I will have to look into the Neo Geo X. I have heard of it in the past but didn't know the whole Neo Geo hierarchy and how the various machines fit together. Seems like an affordable option to experience the system when the original (to me anyway) is unobtainable at this point. If I were loaded i'd get an AES but the X seems more appealing to me than the MVS systems which are just too odd, and still rather pricey for that matter.

If I were loaded i'd get an AES but the X seems more appealing to me than the MVS systems which are just too odd, and still rather pricey for that matter.

Actually, the AES system isn't entirely horrible...pretty much costs about what it did in its heyday. And yes, that's still not cheap (I've seen them CIB for around $600, about $300-400 loose), but not totally out there in context. The games, however, are what kill you, as they typically average $200+.

I would say YES. Playing Super Burnout and Tempest 2000 only posible on it and believe me this two are incredible games at a decent price.

Enviado desde mi A0001 mediante Tapatalk

A decent port of T2K is available on Saturn so unless he plans to also buy a modded controller with rotary support it can play it cheaply if he so desires on a cheaper platform.

Regarding Super Burnout there are alternatives (not the same game) that are as exhilarating depending on taste ... Manx TT Superbike again on Saturn comes to mind but to each his own, I also enjoy playing Super Hang-On on MD (or any Sega retro-collection that has it) ... once more not the same game but plenty of fun to be had.

[my point being I would not suggest to buy a Jaguar for Super Burnout .... it's a nice game for the platform (likely a "must have") but not a killer app]

Not to question but why buy a Jaguar at this point really. If you got nostalgia for it I get that for sure but it does seem lately to be more of a monetary investment which might be settled better elsewhere. Although its a fairly small library to get collection out of if that be the goal but depending on what else you might have you may want to spend the funds elsewhere.

The Saturn T2k is about as pricey as the Jag one these days; i'd barely call the Saturn a "cheaper platform" :)

A chipped Saturn with RegionFree BIOS is around 100US$, at that point T2K is the price of a CD-R unless you NEED to collect the original (which I have by the way).

And you are correct the price of the 2 is pretty much the same on eBay .... it was not the case when I bought mine long ago (I own both Jag and Sat versions just to make it clear).

A chipped Saturn with RegionFree BIOS is around 100US$, at that point T2K is the price of a CD-R unless you NEED to collect the original (which I have by the way).

And you are correct the price of the 2 is pretty much the same on eBay .... it was not the case when I bought mine long ago (I own both Jag and Sat versions just to make it clear).

My friends always poke fun at me casue i own a Saturn or 2 ( one of them is special $%^$modded%^%$^) and a Jaguar. i bought my Saturn near launch and the Jag when they closed out the sales. No though I don't ever consider really buying too many more games unless they fall in my lap for the Saturn. The good ones are just way too pricey. Almost the same for the Jag at this point and I don't have all the decent games for that yet.

Alex Kidd? You mean Keith Courage?

I will say there are a lot of AWESOME games on the TG-16, particularly if you like shooters. Blazing Lazers remains a favorite, and it has a lot of other gems that really make me wonder if the system could have done a lot better had NEC not had such crap advertising (look up some old TG-16 ads...they're awful) and bothered to import the best games from Japan, where it took a large market share from Nintendo and Sega. On that note, there is a guy on eBay that does system repairs who can add a region free card so you can play imported games, and those are some of the best ones out there.

Yeah, it was a while ago, getting it mixed up with my SMS.

Honestly though, only games I really bothered to play much were Ys. They were awesome.

If I remember correctly, the CD drive stopped working. It would spin for a second and fail... seemed like the power connector in the back went bad. I still sold it for over $500 in that condition because there was so much stuff it came with. I don't remember what I paid for it, I think it was like $100 bucks.

Don't buy a Neo Geo X, just play Neo Geo games on whatever emulator you want. Don't buy an AES, the console is somewhat reasonable but aside from a handful of early games, everything is ridiculously expensive. I feel like I've mentioned this here in the past, but your best bet is a consolized MVS and MVS carts. Even those have gone up drastically in the last 5 years, but even popular games like Metal Slug can be had for around $50 vs thousands for literally the same exact thing on the AES.

• Like 3