IGNORED

Should I Buy a Jaguar

bmadgames

Hehe, come to Atari Age and ask if you should buy a jaguar

I say YES, get the scart cable, never use regular av.

And grab a few games like

Alien Versus Predator

Defender 2k

SuperBurnout

Wolfenstien

Tempest 2k

These games alone are worth a jaguar :)

Welcome to 64 bits of tom and jerry gaming

• Like 1

I think most people would be happier with the ports to Android or Sony consoles than with a Neo Geo X (it's just an emulator, and not a great one) or the Neo CD (single speed waitathon)

Yes, especially if you love very long load times. :cool:

NeoGeo CD is slow loading but only relatively to fighting games (each stage and some games each bout) but for the rest (and there's quite a few games that are not fighters [around 2/3 of the library is non fighters]) it's usually a 30-40 sec ordeal on first load and then it's smooth sailing (there's a couple of non fighters that are not that forgiving).

So a NGCD is not that bad aside fighters loading times (that can honestly get excruciating).

Hehe, come to Atari Age and ask if you should buy a jaguar

I say YES, get the scart cable, never use regular av.

And grab a few games like

Alien Versus Predator

Defender 2k

SuperBurnout

Wolfenstien

Tempest 2k

These games alone are worth a jaguar icon_smile.gif

Welcome to 64 bits of tom and jerry gaming

Aliens Vs. Predator was slow when it came out 20+ years ago, slow framerates and Wolfenstein 3D-style right angles everywhere. It's not going to be "fun" except for historical purposes, as atmospheric first-person shooters have evolved quite a lot from this old thing. Wolfenstein 3D itself is cute on the Jaguar because of the updated sprites (as seen on the Mac and 3DO versions), but very short, many fewer levels when compared to the PC versions. I mean no disrespect to your preferences, but neither of those seem like a reason to pick up a Jaguar.

Super Burnout is fast and smooth and not available anywhere else, but it's also super generic. I'd rather play the Sega arcade games that inspired it. The same money could go towards a New 3DS and all of the Sega 3D classics released to date. You could even get the cartridge collection of a bunch of them if you're into that sort of thing. Plus its portable and plays a zillion other nice games.

Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 were my personal reasons for hanging on to a Jaguar, but I gave them up in an eBay sale several years ago and haven't really missed them. Tempest 2000 is available elsewhere, as described above. Defender is super fast and smooth, too, and this version isn't anywhere else. I'll give you that one. :-) But life is too short to play one old expensive game. If you disagree, be sure to put in the secret codes for Flossie mode and Plazma Pong. I'm still waiting for the next big thing from Jeff Minter since his ignominious departure from iOS, saying that going back to mobile would be like "returning to the scene of a mugging." So I guess the next version of Tempest will be on some $600 first-gen VR rig. Sigh. You could probably get an Oculus instead of a Jaguar, which I guess would be marginally smarter purchase. I guess.

NeGeo CD is slow loading but only relatively to fighting games (each stage and some games each bout) but for the rest (and there's quite a few games that are not fighters [around 2/3 of the library is non fighters]) it's usually a 30-40 sec ordeal on first load and then it's smooth sailing (there's a couple of non fighters that are not that forgiving).

So a NGCD is not that bad aside fighters loading times (that can honestly get excruciating).

Neo Geo without fighting games? Do you hear yourself? I guess that's Metal Slug and a bunch of shootemups, which is something, but that does not seem worth giving up on emulation for an expensive, fragile, watered-down tradeoff.

Neo Geo without fighting games? Do you hear yourself? I guess that's Metal Slug and a bunch of shootemups, which is something, but that does not seem worth giving up on emulation for an expensive, fragile, watered-down tradeoff.

Believe it or not I spend most of my time on the NGCD on non-fighters, even my AES is used more for "the rest" than fighters.

I know it's weird but there's quite a few shooters that are very fun to play, a few puzzlers as well and some more .... I understand your point of view but there's plenty to be enjoyed outside the fighter genre on the SNK platform.

[disclaimer, my AES is playing from a 161-in-1 only as I spent too much on the console + an MVS to AES adapter (MagicKey)]

• Like 1

I love the Jag and have a good deal of nostalgia for it (and most of the original games and some new ones) but it's really a fool's game to start from scratch these days. I'm not particularly logical about it and buy most things for it, but the prices really make me wince (although there are bargains to be had if you're patient). PS TV / Vita and TxK are lovely, I'm really impressed with the way it looks on a 60" plasma.

As far as the Neo Geo goes, I have the Neo X and Neo CD (about $50 in Japan :) ), the games are quite cheap (~$10) and the loading times were much exaggerated by the press (they're fine, seriously they don't bother me at all), but if I was going for an original I'd go a console version of the MVS...or just get an MVS :D. There are multicarts with ~100 games for not much at all (dealextreme or aliexpress have them I think). Legit? Probably not. Whether that matters if you're in it to play not 'collect' is up to you

I've got an extensive Neo Geo collection and it only contains one fighter. There are plenty of excellent non-fighters on the system.

• Like 2

I bought my two Jags about ten years ago for $35 each off eBay. I took a look at some completed auctions the other day and was shocked at the prices some Jaguar items fetch now.

Someone recently paid over $800 US (!) for a Skunkboard! W-h-a-t-!

I put hundreds of dollars into getting my Jag collection in the early 2000s, and I got hundreds of hours of play time out of it. Years ago I recommended them highly, but I can't really recommend buying a Jaguar now. To get a working machine with a half-dozen commons could easily cost you five hundred bucks. I've thought recently that I could sell my collection off and bank perhaps a couple of thousand (or more) dollars, but then I'd never be able to justify buying those items back if I missed them.

• Like 1

To simplify:

if you already have MD/SNES as well as PS1/Saturn/N64

then of the in-between generation (Jaguar, 3DO, CDi, FM Towns Marty, CDTV, CD32, PC-FX) the Jag is probably the best bet (3DO not being that bad either), but if you have the guts the NeoGeo (any form) is a platform with more fun games imho (avoid the NGCD if you care for fighters).

This assumes you don't care for 8 bits (NES, SMS, 7800, PCE) or pre-crash (CV, INTV, 5200, Creativision ....) or you already have them and you don't care past the N64 or again you already have them (DC, GC, XBOX, PS2), if NOT then there's more systems with fun games to be had before the Jag.

[i personally care very little for pre-crash systems and only have a CV, but I do have NES, SMS, 7800 and PCE to get the 8bits out of my system ..... which they do aplenty, actually the PCE is one of my preferred systems, being mostly "16bit" quality]

Then again I do have a Jag + CD and given it does not have a flash cart yet I also have likely the second highest count of carts of my "collection", the first being an N64 for whatever reason as later I did by an Everdrive but never got to sell the actual carts I already had ... so maybe you should just take the plunge and if you don't like it just sell afterwards ;-)

NeGeo CD is slow loading but only relatively to fighting games (each stage and some games each bout) but for the rest (and there's quite a few games that are not fighters [around 2/3 of the library is non fighters]) it's usually a 30-40 sec ordeal on first load and then it's smooth sailing (there's a couple of non fighters that are not that forgiving).

This. Many Neo-Geo CD games have about 60 seconds of loading at the very beginning, then never load ever again (or in the case of something like Aero Fighters 2, have two seconds between levels). It's bad information to label the entire platform as a slow loading mess. Not even all the fighting games are bad--The earlier ones like Double Dragon, the first Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury load quickly.

The system alone would cost almost as much as the X with a full game library. Besides, there's something authentic to the experience of playing with those reproduction joysticks.

Incorrect. You quoted $250 for a Neo-Geo X. At that price, a Neo-Geo CD system with a controller is about $100 less. You don't have to deal with emulation issues, peaking sound issues and screen tearing, and you also get the benefit of CD audio in many of the games. Games won't cost the user anything if you go the CDr route, and you have a larger library at your disposal (the Neo-Geo X is locked down and a pain to hack if you wanted to go that route). You also have a piece of hardware and a controller that feels solid, whereas the X just feels cheap.

In terms of cost, the Neo-Geo CD is the best way to experience the Neo-Geo on a television without selling an organ to the black market.

.... and yes us NG(CD) fans realize this has nothing to do with buying a Jag ... well' if it comes down to either an NG (CD/AES/MVS) or a Jag then I'd say go the NG route first. It can get expensive but not so much given current Jag prices, if you are ok with the 161-in-1 kind of deal. The AES/MVS do "require" the Unibios to be fully enjoyable imho, I have not tried the recent UniBIOS CD though (too much hassle) but something tells me I would enjoy aplenty considering it removes the anti-copy protection (all kinds) ..... but given I "fixed" my CDr already that particular feature wouldn't matter much (NeoGeoCD copy protection removal kit).

Incorrect. You quoted $250 for a Neo-Geo X. At that price, a Neo-Geo CD system with a controller is about $100 less. You don't have to deal with emulation issues, peaking sound issues and screen tearing, and you also get the benefit of CD audio in many of the games. Games won't cost the user anything if you go the CDr route, and you have a larger library at your disposal (the Neo-Geo X is locked down and a pain to hack if you wanted to go that route). You also have a piece of hardware and a controller that feels solid, whereas the X just feels cheap.

I've enjoyed my NGX immensely, and would recommend it regardless. Don't forget the NGX is a handheld system that can be utilized as a console.

• Like 1

The OP gave no parameters, so I emphatically say 'yes!'

I don't spend much money on video games because I only buy newly published Jaguar games and pick up the occasional odd cart (just found Cannon Fodder in the wild). The best thing about the Jaguar is that it has a great library of 16-bit ports (like Flashback), some funky exclusives (like Skyhammer), and some titles that really capture the essence of the era (like Doom).

I mostly commit to beating a game - so I get a ton of hours out of something like Rayman. I also like going for the high-score in a game like Impulse X. I just hosted a Brutal Sports Football tournament (8 player bracket) and had a blast.

The new ST ports are looking nice and an original like Rebooteroids is going to be very cool.

Edited by Schmudde

Gee, I feel special. I bought my Jaguar at a used video game store about 5 years ago. I doubt I paid more than $60 or $70 for it. But it's wise that I bought it because I have seen ZERO consoles or games "in the wild" since. Now I'm glad I kept it, especially after reading how it's apparently valuable.