IGNORED

Should I Buy a Jaguar

bmadgames

i wish i still owned mine i bought one back when i was collecting and burning money in like 2010 or so. they do seem expensive these days but if you can afford it why not you want one and have for years and yes buying used should be fine the system seems quite reliable its the cd add on that died on me those seem to be about as reliable as an xbox 360...

• 4 weeks later...

I have yet to buy one. I have been looking for a few years for one as it is the last of the retro consoles that I would love to have, but without an "everdrive" type cart it is hard to justify. I can play tempest on an emulator. Hopefully they come out with an sd cart for it and then it would be a much more feasable purchase. Yes, I have a turbo grafx and a pc engine duo, but with the everdrive availability, made it much easier/cheaper to consider purchasing. I continue to look at our local craigslist but nothing up. maybe someday.

I'm huge emulation fan, and i will say there's something to owning the jag. Sure there might not be a ton of games for it. But i bet you'll find something you'll like (except RPG). It's a unique system with some good titles that you won't find anywhere else.

I see Jaguars going for a minimum of 170 for the system, 1 controller and cords, is this about right? i would love to own the system, but that's pretty high, especially since you'll need a 2nd controller and at least Tempest, if not another game or 2. your looking at 250 - 300 probablly by the time you get it, is this right?

Here's a lot that doesn't seem that bad compared to what else exists at the moment. 2 controllers, 5 games, most of which are pretty decent, auction starting at $200. Might get lucky and get the lot for closer to $200 than the $300 BIN. Definitely a decent lot to experience the system and decide if you want to hang on to it or sell it on after a couple months.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Console-w-2-Controllers-5-Games-Wolfenstein-3D-/331923168710?hash=item4d48299dc6:g:mwkAAOSwXrhXnAV0

• Like 1

JUST TO POINT THIS OUT...

I left this open on my screen when I went to work today, just curiously. Wanted to see what it sold for. Well... here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Game-Lot-/191931647557?_trkparms=aid%3D0%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37470%26meid%3Db145ff0b40974358b9edf25b6c920bc8%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D122061710227&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=IP8Vak7nYdb%252FqN7jou2%252Fq9uLP8I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Just proves, that if you're patient, wait, make smart purchases etc... you can still get Jag stuff at a good price. For example, this bundle worked out at less than £15 per item... which is amazing tbh! Well done... whoever that was btw :)

EDIT: Sorry, for my friends over the pond, just under $20 per item :)

Edited by NeoGeoNinja

I see Jaguars going for a minimum of 170 for the system, 1 controller and cords, is this about right? i would love to own the system, but that's pretty high, especially since you'll need a 2nd controller and at least Tempest, if not another game or 2. your looking at 250 - 300 probablly by the time you get it, is this right?

It depends on where you're looking.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean I get it paying 200 bucks for a 20 year old system and some games does seem high but, it is cheaper than the newer wave of systems.

I just don't get it, either you want a unique system with most games averaging 50 or less for ok to crap games 80 bucks for good games.

Now yes I do see the I have 200 to 300 bucks and many choices for old video game hardware what should I buy.

Best bang for buck is probably sega saturn, or dreamcast...maybe an Xbox or 360 nowadays. Better games, lots of games to choose from.

Jaguar has a 90's feel to it, has a jag cd that will cost you. But the good news is at this point you can buy play for 2 years and get most of your investment back or even make a couple bucks very few systems can claim that

One of the fun reasons to own a Jaguar is there's a handful of games to experience (some good, some "bad") that, most likely, won't end up being available digitally or on compilations / other systems. But, I just don't think I'd get the same kick from collecting for the Jaguar if I hadn't previously played it / owned one as a teen in the 90's.

• Like 1

Yeah, the issue with Jag collecting is that is mostly a tale of disappointments.

There's a handful of reasonably good games, no question, but the bulk is not worth the money, that is until the SD based cart comes out, at that point if it hovers around the 100US$ or less it makes the bulk become much cheaper per title .... but we're talking about playing games rather than collecting per se.

(and that is where disappointments sets in as well, it's just cheaper that way and one won't feel like a fool for spending 80US$ for Atari Karts, oh ... that was me)

On a side note I would hope the SD cart solution would be welcomed by CJ/Albert as a mean to get to play those ST ports cheaper, I am not sure what a fair price would be (I'll leave it up to them to decide), but I still would love to pay CJ or whomever for the work done if I decide to play his ports (or at least a subset of them, the one that I will end actually playing and not just staring at for a couple of minutes and then move on) .... this is a really convoluted sentence to allow for digital downloads (and pay) for those.