IGNORED

What do you do with your Apple II these days?

Keatah

Like it says on the box, what do you do with your Apple II nowadays?

We, from time to time, use it for sentimental reminiscing, word processing, recreational programming, and archiving and preserving old software.

This latter part is heavily augmented with ADTPro, CiderPress, AppleWin, CFFA3000, and other amenities provided by an x86 PC - like scanning and internet connectivity and disk image manipulation.

• Like 1

I use my GS strictly for the game play. Haven't had the cash to add any extra ram or a hard drive so it's fairly basic. My three daughters like to play the games as well particularly Hard hat Mack and Lemonaid stand.

• Like 1

Mine are sitting right now, mostly due to the lack of space to keep more than one system at a time set up.

That's my problem as well. I'm working on a solution, but I think ultimately what I want are some small/cheap restaurant shelves big enough to hold the machines I'm not actively using now, and then space for one machine that is always connected. That machine would be my IIgs, which these days gets mostly used for testing joysticks and discovering that yes they are indeed in need of replacement buttons. *grumble*

• Like 1

I am working on making a Network Library to connect Multiple Machines.

I am starting with Games, creating a few "new ones", like a Maze Game, but also reviewing Classic Games on the Apple ][ and other Platforms, ( like Dungeons of Daggorath on the Tandy Color Computer ). I am thinking that bringing old favorites, back with Networking would be a real cool way to Share the Classic Computing experience with other, "like minded people"...

MarkO

• Like 1

Mark, what're you using for a protocol? Just two machines over serial, or are you planning a client/server setup of some kind over AppleTalk for //e and IIgs systems? (Can that be done for the //e? Dunno, I have yet to get my //e card connected to something to start looking at what it can do...)

Mark, what're you using for a protocol? Just two machines over serial, or are you planning a client/server setup of some kind over AppleTalk for //e and IIgs systems? (Can that be done for the //e? Dunno, I have yet to get my //e card connected to something to start looking at what it can do...)

Thank You for Asking... I should have been a little more specific..

Initially, TCP/IP, for the Hardware.. But I am Flexible... ;)

I am trying to be far thinking here, so I was starting with the OSI 7 Layer Model, which allows for Abstraction of the Layers, so that the Hardware can be changed out and everything will still operate...

For the Hardware, I was starting with the Apple ][ with the Uthernet II as a Starting Point, but want to Include the Lantronix UDS 10/100/1000 as an Alternate Hardware Layer, and thought that I should "throw in" Nada Net as another possibility..

The Lantronix UDS Modules use a RS-232 Serial Port, so an Apple ][ with a Super Serial Card, the Tandy CoCo with the Built-In Port or the RS-232 Cartridge, ( or a Commodore C64 with the RS-232 Cartridge, I have one of these too ) could become Network Enabled.

The Software Protocol, I am "making up, as I go", I am Starting with a Maze Game, but anything with X, Y, Z Coordinates should be adaptable...

References:

My Retrochallenge Challenge Page

Lantronics Information

Getting your CLASSIC COMPUTER on the Internet BBS's

Lantronix UDS-10

What is the Lantronix UDS-10 and what can it do for me? (Modified 2/3/16)

Nada Net

NadaNet: A Native Network for the Apple II

Building a NadaNet Adapter

MarkO

• Like 1

Aside from playing great games, I pull up directory listings and stare at the ultra-cool green text (complete with the neat-o horizontal lines).

Sometimes I pretend that a timer is counting down and if I don't do something before it runs out, something bad will happen.

That and I make levels for Lode Runner.

I'm considering running VisiCalc, just to put computer spreadsheets back into old-skool context again.

• Like 2

I've never been a fan of the 7 layer cake thing. It just isn't really ideal. TCP/IP functions really as a four layer system, and it won out for a reason.

TCP/IP is still in the Seven Layer Model...

SLIP or PPP for TCP/IP over Serial, verses Token Ring, or Ethernet or Fiber, or ATM or ????

You don't remember the days when you Built a Driver for a given Chip Set and Protocol... And when you change the NIC, you build a New Driver.. ( re, 1980's, Netware 2.x )

MarkO

Aside from playing great games, I pull up directory listings and stare at the ultra-cool green text (complete with the neat-o horizontal lines).

That is cool.

I'm considering running VisiCalc, just to put computer spreadsheets back into old-skool context again.

That's yet another unspoken and valuable use of old software. Sometimes it's good to see where you've been so that you may be better focus on the future. Sometimes there were things you wanted to do with old software and systems, but couldn't because of whatever limitations were in place at the time. And eventually you'd give up on it. But running old software may remind you of those unfinished tasks that can be done easily on today's rigs. And sometimes It's just plain fun to watch and track the evolution of a franchise.

• Like 3

It's taking up space on my floor at the moment.

I have one Under the Dinning Room Table, ( on the Floor ), One in the Living Room, ( on a Box, on the Floor ) and Five, Under my Bed, ( on the Floor ), and One Under my Desk in my Bed Room, ( on the Floor )...

So I Totally Understand....

MarkO

My IIe is sitting on my desk at its own place :) I don't have much time to play, but when I can I love to play text adventures like Infocom's Planetfall and Starcross, or Masquerade. I also started a game of Bard's tale (1), and recently learned how to display a picture, for fun :

http://www.gamopat-forum.com/t86577p120-t-shirt-gamopat-concours-photos#2351354

I won the contest with this picture ! 8)

Mark, you can always send me an extra //e. :)

Actually, the thing I really need is drives. I have 5.25 drives, but none with an Apple logo. And my 800k drive is broken. Appletalk and CFFA pretty much are how I get anything done at all.

That I can help you with... ;)

Do you want a ][e??? Do you like the Classic Disk ][s or the Unidisks??

MarkO

• Like 1