IGNORED

Nobody Cares About Intellivision

O2 better then Intellivision?

I have 20-30 O2 games.... Are any worth playing on that system? KC M. is ok not even OK... lower case baby!

Dude, would have expected a much bigger reaction from you..... Were is Eric when I finally want to hear him bitch about something!!! LOL

• Like 1

O2 better then Intellivision?

I have 20-30 O2 games.... Are any worth playing on that system? KC M. is ok not even OK... lower case baby!

Dude, would have expected a much bigger reaction from you..... Were is Eric when I finally want to hear him bitch about something!!! LOL

I think if someone besides me made this thread it would have more replies and reactions.

I don't want to put too much blame on the #CUPodcast guys. The perspective that "nobody cares about the Intellivision" didn't originate with them, and it seems to be the new consensus that is emerging about all the pre-crash consoles, not just the Intellivision.

The prevailing view seems to be that the NES was the first video game console that really "got it right," and that the pre-crash consoles aren't any fun to play anymore. They're just the early failed experiments and evolutionary dead-ends of the video game industry, and as BassGuitari said in another thread about collecting, are only worth revisiting for the purpose of considering the necessary mistakes which made the NES possible.

I'm sure I'll come up with a longer response later, but suffice it to say that I don't agree with this view at all.

• Like 2

Do you want a video game system that was promoted by a snooty old boring white guy that sounded like he swallowed 500 dictionaries and was probably only interested in polo and sailing? No! Do you want a video game system from a company that mangled the hell out of Pac-Man and held on to the 7800 until it was irrelevant? No! You want something loud . . . extreme . . . and totally rad to the max! You want the NES!

• Like 1

I'm one of these crazy people that never found anything interesting in the NES Super Mario game.

LOL! I know! My cousin had an NES and later an SNES, and I really didn't care much about the Super Mario games. I did fall in love with Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. I was just mesmerized watching my friends playing that game (I didn't have either console).

-dZ.

• Like 1

Stupid ergonomic nightmare controller. I SWEAR I'd own an intellivision if there was a decent alternative.

A "decent alternative" to the hand-controller? Hmmm... games that utilize only the disc seem to work rather well -- as long as they are programmed correctly. I agree that the side-buttons were designed as torture implements by demons, but the disc is OK.

There are many older games that suffer from frustratingly low-resolution input sampling, making them feel sluggish and infuriatingly unresponsive. However, that's just bad (or unsophisticated) programming.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Stupid ergonomic nightmare controller. I SWEAR I'd own an intellivision if there was a decent alternative.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I remember the Atari 2600 joystick being uncomfortable and it gave me blisters. I could play as long as I wanted on the Intellivision. Maybe if I owned an Atari 2600 my delicate hands would have gotten use to it. What's not ergonomic of the intellivision controller? A thumb directional pad is what everyone has standardized on now; It gives equal chance for left and right handed players; if the side buttons were less stiff it would have been even better.

edit:

Perhaps a lot of people have only tried the Intellivision II controller. I've never used one, but from what I understand, even though it looks similar, it is less comfortable than the original.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

if the side buttons were less stiff it would have been even better.

edit:

Perhaps a lot of people have only tried the Intellivision II controller. I've never used one, but from what I understand, even though it looks similar, it is less comfortable than the original.

You may want to try the Flashback hand-controllers: all the fun with none of the pain. :) They are precisely what you are looking for, less stiff and more sensitive.

• Like 3

Well, it's kind of true, though. Like it or not--and I don't, personally, but the fact remains--the definition of "classic gaming" has shifted to begin with the NES onward, and anything that came before is just stone age. For the most part there's only interest there to the extent that people they think they can make money on it. "You have an Atari?! You could sell that for, like, $500!"

But who cares if nobody cares? Some 24-year-old's opinion of (in this case) the Intellivision doesn't change my enjoyment of it.

I don't want to put too much blame on the #CUPodcast guys. The perspective that "nobody cares about the Intellivision" didn't originate with them, and it seems to be the new consensus that is emerging about all the pre-crash consoles, not just the Intellivision.

The prevailing view seems to be that the NES was the first video game console that really "got it right," and that the pre-crash consoles aren't any fun to play anymore. They're just the early failed experiments and evolutionary dead-ends of the video game industry, and are only worth revisiting for the purpose of considering the necessary mistakes which made the NES possible.

Took the thought straight out of my brain. In fact, I've used almost those same words to make this same point in other threads. :)

And Pat & Ian aren't saying "nobody cares about the Intellivision" because they don't like it (I think I remember Ian saying in a different podcast that he actually thinks it's kind of cool), or because it's some agenda they're pushing. They're saying it because that's what they see happening in the wider gaming community (which consists of more than AtariAge, which may come as a shock to some of us here :P ). And they happen to be right. Doesn't have to be a bad thing, though; there's something to be said for smaller, more closely-knit communities.

• Like 2

I'm one of these crazy people that never found anything interesting in the NES Super Mario game.

I'm with you. I had the NES in the early '90s, but I was playing things like Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy and Ultima IV. Super Mario and games based on that IP never interested me (and still don't).

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in that camp, too. Had a roommate in college who had an NES. I watched him play a lot, but it never drew me in - neither the platformers nor the strategy type games he loved (Nobunaga's Revenge? Ambition? Whatevs.). In fact, I was still ordering games from INTV Corp at the time (Thin Ice, Tower of Doom, Thunder Castle, Defender, you get the idea) and just never felt drawn to the NES.

If it wasn't an Inty game, then I'd play PC games.

In the time since, I've picked up a small number of NES games, but still nothing has "set the hook". Guess it's a right place, right time kind of thing.

• Like 1

My first true console was an NES and I have a top-loader along with one of the Retron clones being made, but I rarely ever play those anymore. I'm actually more apt to pull out my Intellivision, Atari, Vectrex, Colecovision, etc nowadays than my NES. I don't know why, but NES games became bland to me over time. I've still got my stuff if I want to play, but it collects dust 99% of the time.

The INTV only holds any interest to me because I rarely saw one as a kid. Everyone had an Atari, and there was always just that one weird kid in the neighborhood that had an Intellivision. Once in a while, you'd go play it, so it was just "different". None of the games are any fun to me except Astrosmash, and the Atari version is even better. :)

As far as the NES- I already had a C64 for years when it came out, and an Amiga shortly after that, so who would care about the NES? It was just for little kids that didn't have computers.

Edited by R.Cade

I wish there were more systems that no one cared about. I was lucky that my dad was into thrifting in the late '90s, and I ended up with all of the old systems he picked up really cheaply. Some of them are . . . not so cheap, now.

I don't remember how much I spent for my Intellivision, and I certainly would like to end up with a complete boxed collection. Maybe I should do that now while no one still cares. :)

It's just a classic case of the Ignorance of Innocence. I can see the point though. After attending two PRGE you see what a small world the Intellivision enthusiasts are. We can all go to the same restaurant for dinner! What we need to get our Intellivision CosPlay happening. Those could be very exciting costumes. :-)

The two happiest days in a retro video game store:

• Buying a bulk pile of Intellivision games
  • Years later, selling the bulk pile of Intellivision games

I, of course, love the Intellivision. Unfortunately, it just doesn't sell well for vendors. It is probably due to its popularity back in the day but being #2 in the market means younger folks don't remember it as well (ex: kids know Atari 2600 but not Intellivision, they know NES but not Atari 7800, etc).

I joke that I need to wear kneepads at retro game expos like PRGE since my question of "Do you have Intellivision?" is either met with "We left it back at the store" or "Well, uhm, I think it's in this bin under the table.

Anyways, that's what I am figuring the CUPodcast folks were joking about. I appreciate that they gave a light plug for the Intellivision at the end of the podcast.

<p>

The two happiest days in a retro video game store:

• Buying a bulk pile of Intellivision games
  • Years later, selling the bulk pile of Intellivision games

Is that a rehashing of the old saying, "the happiest day in a guy's life is when he bought his boat... The second happiest day in his life is when he sold his boat"

• Like 2