IGNORED

ColecoVision with F18A (VGA Mod)

Yurkie

I just installed a F18A in a ColecoVision today, since I have had several requests to offer this as a mod service. Quality is great like everyone has said. I was also pleasantly surprised that the F18A simulates scanlines. I added a switch to turn scanlines off and on. I'll sell this console and include 12' VGA cable with breakout 3.5mm audio for if anyone's interested. Here is full screen pic of Donkey Kong and a zoomed pic, sorry about the glare in the full screen pic.

post-23318-0-32418500-1464996302_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-12257000-1464996320_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Got my VGA to HDMI converter today. Very impressive I expected picture to be washed out in analog to digital conversion but it is pixel perfect. Now just deciding if HDMI converter should be internal, or maybe both VGA and HDMI port on the back of the console. Perhaps even a power switch to power on and off the HDMI when not in use.

• Like 1

@vazquezrick: The F18A outputs a standard VGA 640x480@60Hz video signal, which is a 4:3 aspect (as Yurkie and Bmack36 confirmed). If you plug the F18A into a wide screen TV/monitor, the display might stretch the image. Many TVs have an option to show 4:3 aspect input video with left/right borders and maintain the original aspect. However, it seems many people would rather stretch the video to fill the screen.

@ColecoNoob: The virtual scan line option was added in the V1.6 firmware update. The scan lines can be enabled by removing a jumper, or new software specifically written to take advantage of the F18A enhanced features can enable them programmatically.

There are four “User Jumpers” on the F18A:

USR1: Selects the power-on default maximum number of sprites on a line:
On = 32 sprites can be displayed on a single line
Off = 4 sprites maximum can be displayed on a single line

USR2: Select simulated CRT scanlines:
On = no simulated scanlines
Off = enables simulated scanlines

USR3: Pin-37 GROMCLK / CPUCLK select:
On = GROMCLK output on pin-37 (9918A/28/29)
Off = CPUCLK output on pin-37 (9128/29)

USR4: Pin-38 CPUCLK enable:
On = disabled (Hi-Z)
Off = enabled

VDP        USR3 USR4
9928/29     on   on  pin-37 GROMCLK
                     pin-38 Hi-Z (disabled)

9918A/9118  on  off  pin-37 GROMCLK
                     pin-38 CPUCLK

9128/29     off  on  pin-37 CPUCLK
                     pin-38 Hi-Z (disabled)

not used    off off  pin-37 CPUCLK
                     pin-38 CPUCLK

Yurkie,

Have you tested this out with the 2600 adapter? I doubt it will work since it does not with my F18A modded Adam, but I thought I would ask anyways. Thanks!

The F18a replaces the video circuitry. I believe the 2600 module will still display via the RF and thru composite mod if added. But no VGA Atari.

• 6 months later...

Yes. I do them, Yurkie and Bmack36 do it as well. I suggest you contact them as I am not available to do these until around April-May.

Rey

Yes I do them as well. I also offer a HDMI output version as well that incorporates a HDMI scalar inside the system as well as uses an off the shelf 5V supply to power the system. If you have any questions feel free to ask. You can check out my FB page or store in my signature as well. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

With the F18a the colecovision video only goes out the VGA or HDMI output. EM1 atari module compatibility can be done in 2 ways: With the VGA mod you can get the EM1 video output out of the RF output. The HDMI mod requires a separate composite video mod to get the EM1 output, since the RF box is removed. The composite mod would only be for the EM1 as the colecovision output would be going out of the HDMI.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks