IGNORED

New to TI-99 Excited to be here

bushnrvn

Hello everyone! I picked up a TI-99/4A at a flea market last week and I've just received a stocked PEB in the mail. I am coming for the Apple II scene, and I've never used a TI machine before this past week.

I am looking for a copy of TI Extended Basic and the Editor Assembler. That said, I've read there are many different version of Extended Basic - some that are third party, some that are buggy, some that are basically clones.

Getting started, I think TI Extended Basic might be best for me. I am wondering if there is any obvious way to distinguish the buggy version from the the less buggy version?

Also - Is it possible to load a "cassette" file from an iPod?

• Like 4

Welcome to the fold! On the various Extended BASIC variants, you are correct in that there are a lot of them, but the variants are pretty much supersets of the TI Extended BASIC cartridge, allowing you to remain in pure TI Extended BASIC mode until you decide to try out some of the additional commands. The most common variants out there right now are Rich Extended BASIC 2015 (which includes the Editor Assembler functionality, so you get a nice twofer there) and Tony Knerr's Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite (this one includes the Editor Assembler as well, along with a host of other utility software--like Disk Managers and GPL Assemblers). RXB also supports use of the SAMS memory card. Most of the folks in the community have one or the other of these, sometimes both (I have both, along with several other, more obscure dialects of Extended BASIC). Either cartridge can be obtained directly from me or through the Arcadeshopper Web site.

The buggy version of Extended BASIC actually came from TI. Most copies of the defective module were recalled and replaced with a corrected version of the cartridge (making the original, buggy version a bit of a collector's item today). About 99.9% of the Extended BASIC cartridges out there are the later version, so there is little likelihood you will accidentally purchase the early one.

On the iPod question, I believe that some others have tried it, but I don't remember the results off the top of my head. I do know people use computers to output the cassette tones regularly, but success is often a matter of having a sound card with the right characteristics to produce sounds the TI will recognize.

• Like 2

Hello everyone! I picked up a TI-99/4A at a flea market last week and I've just received a stocked PEB in the mail. I am coming for the Apple II scene, and I've never used a TI machine before this past week.

I am looking for a copy of TI Extended Basic and the Editor Assembler. That said, I've read there are many different version of Extended Basic - some that are third party, some that are buggy, some that are basically clones.

Getting started, I think TI Extended Basic might be best for me. I am wondering if there is any obvious way to distinguish the buggy version from the the less buggy version?

Also - Is it possible to load a "cassette" file from an iPod?

Hey fellow TI-n00b!! Where did you get your PEB?

Bookmark THIS site:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/Extended-Basic-2-7-Suite/p/44354005/category=15846004

And consider the F18A video chip upgrade here:

http://codehackcreate.com/store#!/F18A-V1-7-Video-Board/p/14022176/category=0

Good question about using an iPod to feed cassette software, that sounds possible. I have a modified Starpath Supercharger and CDROM full of games for my Atari VCS, and it works great.

• Like 1

Welcome to the TI world! It's nice to see new people trying out the system. Sounds like you have serious intent if you are getting a PEB!

I recently came back and am waiting on one of the Extended Basic 2.7 carts. Since you will be using that and Disk Manager the most, any cart that has both will mean less swapping time.

I would say the F18A is the most essential next piece of hardware as you will be amazed by the results.

I'm also new around here and coming from A2 as well. From what I can tell, XB 2.7 suite is presently the state of the art for doing all the things you'll want to do with the machine, regardless of your configuration. The only thing remotely in contention is RXB, which is under active development and was really cool at FestWest.

I don't think Greg's got any XB 2.7 suite carts in stock or I'd say it was THE thing to get hands down though--there's just so much in there. RXB may replace it and if you're interested you should look into that, but the suite is definitely the way to go for the moment.

Edited by iKarith
  • Like 1

All of the new XB carts (and several others) are based on the UberGROM board hardware-wise. The XB 2.7 Suite uses all of the available ROM and GROM space on those boards. It took me a couple of years to get those boards working exactly right on the hardware side and due to the demands of life, it also took Tursi about the same amount of time to get the software loader for it polished enough for routine use. Gazoo built the XB 2.7 image before the loader was ready using a brute force approach, so there may still be some weird hooks in there that would trip up anyone trying to modify it further.

• Like 2

Welcome to the fold! On the various Extended BASIC variants, you are correct in that there are a lot of them, but the variants are pretty much supersets of the TI Extended BASIC cartridge, allowing you to remain in pure TI Extended BASIC mode until you decide to try out some of the additional commands. The most common variants out there right now are Rich Extended BASIC 2015 (which includes the Editor Assembler functionality, so you get a nice twofer there) and Tony Knerr's Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite (this one includes the Editor Assembler as well, along with a host of other utility software--like Disk Managers and GPL Assemblers). RXB also supports use of the SAMS memory card. Most of the folks in the community have one or the other of these, sometimes both (I have both, along with several other, more obscure dialects of Extended BASIC). Either cartridge can be obtained directly from me or through the Arcadeshopper Web site.

The buggy version of Extended BASIC actually came from TI. Most copies of the defective module were recalled and replaced with a corrected version of the cartridge (making the original, buggy version a bit of a collector's item today). About 99.9% of the Extended BASIC cartridges out there are the later version, so there is little likelihood you will accidentally purchase the early one.

On the iPod question, I believe that some others have tried it, but I don't remember the results off the top of my head. I do know people use computers to output the cassette tones regularly, but success is often a matter of having a sound card with the right characteristics to produce sounds the TI will recognize.

Wow! Very cool. Unfortunately, it looks like the store is out of stock on all those carts. I'll keep an eye open.

Hey fellow TI-n00b!! Where did you get your PEB?

Bookmark THIS site:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/Extended-Basic-2-7-Suite/p/44354005/category=15846004

And consider the F18A video chip upgrade here:

http://codehackcreate.com/store#!/F18A-V1-7-Video-Board/p/14022176/category=0

Good question about using an iPod to feed cassette software, that sounds possible. I have a modified Starpath Supercharger and CDROM full of games for my Atari VCS, and it works great.

I've read a bit F18A upgrade - didn't seem like it was available at this time.

What is this SAMS memory card everyone is talking about and why do I need one? Does it replace the 32k RAM card?

For transparency - my PEB has a 32K card, RS-232, Disk controller with a full height drive.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I love my Apple stuff, but the TI is something new for me. It really seems like a very interesting machine.

The SAMS is a 1MB expansion board that replaces the 32K card. Software that is designed to find SAMS memory space will recognize it and be able to use it, all other software sees it as a standard 32K card.

On the Arcadeshopper site being out of stock, I just sent him 10 assembled UberGROM boards this morning, so he should have them available again sometime next week. . .

• Like 3

Wow! Very cool. Unfortunately, it looks like the store is out of stock on all those carts. I'll keep an eye open.

I've read a bit F18A upgrade - didn't seem like it was available at this time.

What is this SAMS memory card everyone is talking about and why do I need one? Does it replace the 32k RAM card?

For transparency - my PEB has a 32K card, RS-232, Disk controller with a full height drive.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I love my Apple stuff, but the TI is something new for me. It really seems like a very interesting machine.

Actually RXB 2015E has some features for SAMS you can use:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - went ahead and grabbed the 3 in 1 XB cart https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/Extended-Basic-3-in-1-Contains-Ti-XB-XB2-7-and-RXB2015/p/58077057/category=15846004

Pretty excited to start hacking away on this thing.

Gazoo was a miracle worker with the UberGROM. If he was still with us I have no doubts he'd probably have alrady figured out a way to shoe-horn Cortex BASIC 80 into there as well.

What I find truly amazing? After all the decades, and all these different computer languages, nobody has ever came up with a version of BASICA / GWBASIC for the TI. Now that we have the hardware like the F18A for 80 columns, monster cartridges to store the program, and mega memory to use, it looks like it's time has passed.

I don't think another BASIC for the TI is what we need. We need TI BASIC, which is kind of RXB I guess.

I kinda wouldn't mind seeing a successor to the XB 2.7 suite built around that.

We're closer now to a One Cart To Rule Them All, but we're not there yet.

You have at least seven evolved forms of TI Extended BASIC on the TI: Mechatronics Extended BASIC II Plus, incorporating the APESoft Expanded Graphic BASIC routines; Triton Super Extended BASIC, which incorporated most of the GRAM Kracker extensions to TI Extended BASIC; Myarc Extended BASIC II, which added a few commands but which rewrote the entire thing iin Assembly; Winkler's Expanded BASIC III, which corrected a number of bugs in TI Extended BASIC, rewrote some routines in Assembly, and added a number of commands; Rich Extended BASIC, which also sprang from the GRAM Kracker extensions and went a whole lot further with many useful extensions; Knerr Extended BASIC 2.7, which added a lot of routines Tony found useful; and Wilhelm's XB 256, which adds a whole lot of additional stuff designed to really assist game programmers and folks using the graphics capabilities of their TI in creative ways. Note I only listed cartridge-capable versions of TI Extended BASIC here--there is also Cortex BASIC, a descendent of Power BASIC from the TI-990 computer series. Once you get beyond cartridges, you also have Advanced BASIC for the Geneve (a very powerful BASIC dialect that is compatible with TI Extended BASIC), SXB from J&KH Software, and Torpedo BASIC from Hagera. There are probably more that I've missed too. . .like Wilhelm's TML or the Toolbox routines from CorComp.

Triton's Super Extended BASIC also incorporated the Draw'n'Plot routines. The John Guion 64K EPROM "Multi-Mod" kit for it added Editor Assembler; TI-Writer; and Disk Manager 3.0 -- using 32K as the second GROM bank.

Where can I find information on the John Guion "multi-mod" kit for the Triton Super XB. I have one I would like to get it on.

Edited by Cschneider

Hope you have an actual kit to install. As they haven't been available for a long time (mid 90's).

Found the SEB pics, scans, and docs.

Being well used the front label looks disgusting. Drill holes in the top kept the cart cool, as it heated up over long periods of use. This also helped when I got the Navarone Widget -- it was too late for the label at that point.

Also found an alternative soldering point in the widget fix. You can find it by comparing my pics to the docs (too lazy to edit the photo at the moment).

SXB with MultiMod (Pics).zip

Multi-Mod Manual (Scans).zip

Multi-Mod Manual (OOO Word Doc).zip

Edited by Torrax
  • Like 1

Found the SEB pics, scans, and docs.

Being well used the front label looks disgusting. Drill holes in the top kept the cart cool, as it heated up over long periods of use. This also helped when I got the Navarone Widget -- it was too late for the label at that point.

Also found an alternative soldering point in the widget fix. You can find it by comparing my pics to the docs (too lazy to edit the photo at the moment).

Cool. thanks. Now does anyone have the EPROM bin file ?

You have at least seven evolved forms of TI Extended BASIC on the TI: Mechatronics Extended BASIC II Plus, incorporating the APESoft Expanded Graphic BASIC routines; Triton Super Extended BASIC, which incorporated most of the GRAM Kracker extensions to TI Extended BASIC; Myarc Extended BASIC II, which added a few commands but which rewrote the entire thing iin Assembly; Winkler's Expanded BASIC III, which corrected a number of bugs in TI Extended BASIC, rewrote some routines in Assembly, and added a number of commands; Rich Extended BASIC, which also sprang from the GRAM Kracker extensions and went a whole lot further with many useful extensions; Knerr Extended BASIC 2.7, which added a lot of routines Tony found useful; and Wilhelm's XB 256, which adds a whole lot of additional stuff designed to really assist game programmers and folks using the graphics capabilities of their TI in creative ways. Note I only listed cartridge-capable versions of TI Extended BASIC here--there is also Cortex BASIC, a descendent of Power BASIC from the TI-990 computer series. Once you get beyond cartridges, you also have Advanced BASIC for the Geneve (a very powerful BASIC dialect that is compatible with TI Extended BASIC), SXB from J&KH Software, and Torpedo BASIC from Hagera. There are probably more that I've missed too. . .like Wilhelm's TML or the Toolbox routines from CorComp.

N00b hat on, that's too many. It's confusing, and people can't easily keep all that straight. Moreover, I'm rather aware that multiple carts now exist that contain multiple versions, and for some like RXB there are multiple releases. When I talk about barriers for new users, this is the kind of stuff I mean.

Not only that, at $35-50 a pop for these things, the idea that you need half a dozen different versions of BASIC makes it financially very unattractive. This one personally affects me. Especially since some of them are still in active development and I'm not sure they can be upgraded if you have an old version?

It is more than possible to upgrade any cartridge built on the UberGROM board. That list is so long mainly because of how long the system has been around--and due to the fact that several different communities existed at one time or another that had very little interaction with each other. In the case of things under active development (like RXB ,XB 256, and Cortex BASIC), it is easy enough to burn a new EPROM (Cortex BASIC) or flash a new ROM and update the GROM code in the Atmel 1284 (RXB or XB 256). The important thing to note with all of the variants out there is that each one was written to solve a set of programming problems that were important to the programmer. Due to the sheer number of differences, it is not possible to turn them all into a single-monster image that contains them all (among other things, that would seriously exceed even the capacity of the UberGROM, as it pretty much reaches its limits once three flavors of BASIC have been loaded into it at the same time). Most of the folks out there would never need to go beyond the bounds of TI XB, RXB, and XB 2.7, all of which are in the Triple XB cartridge. The others are useful, but not strictly necessary. That keeps you down to one $45 cartridge. . .expensive, but usually within budget for folks.

I was recommended the XB 2.7 suite, which I understand to also use an UberGROM cart. That's what I got, and it appears to have a lot of tools I don't yet understand, and a lot of games most of which I suspect run just FR99. Two carts isn't too much to be able to do most anything that can be done without plugging expansions into your TI (though don't some of those require at least more RAM?)

Perhaps in my own case I should've gone with the triple-BASIC cart, I dunno. I suspect there'll eventually be advantage to having both, but I'm slowly trying to build the knowledge base needed to educate a new user about what they need to get started. I'm just trying to avoid too many expensive mistakes in the meantime.