IGNORED

HERO Improvements

MrFish

XEX please! :grin:

Heh... I knew that was going to be one of the first reponses. :P

I actually was going to work on the XEX and post it first -- to preempt the XEX request. But I had a change I wanted to make; so I figured I'd copy everything over once I'd made the change. Unfortunately the planned change is going be more involved than I'd anticipated. So since I most likely won't get around to that for a while, no reason to wait on the XEX. It did take me a few minutes to find an "unpacked" copy though. There is one small change between this and the ROM I posted (slight adjust to the "W" in "POWER").

HERO (6-4-2016).xex

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

HERO (6-5-2016).bin

First time I'd played the 5200 version. It's unique in one particular way: pushing up to fly responds much quicker than in the 8-bit version. This is pretty helpful in a lot of situations. The 8-bit version looks to be matched with how the 2600 version responds. I never really liked the response time in the 2600 and 8-bit versions, although I suppose it's all part of the overall difficulty factor for the game, and I have gotten used to it over time. I may take the time to tweak the response time for the 8-bit version, just to see how the difference works out. I'm guessing it was added to the 5200 version in order to make up for the added difficulty of using the 5200 stock controller, which I've heard did not lend itself to well to playing this game in particular.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifHERO (6-5-2016).bin

First time I'd played the 5200 version. It's unique in one particular way: pushing up to fly responds much quicker than in the 8-bit version. This is pretty helpful in a lot of situations. The 8-bit version looks to be matched with how the 2600 version responds. I never really liked the response time in the 2600 and 8-bit versions, although I suppose it's all part of the overall difficulty factor for the game, and I have gotten used to it over time. I may take the time to tweak the response time for the 8-bit version, just to see how the difference works out. I'm guessing it was added to the 5200 version in order to make up for the added difficulty of using the 5200 stock controller, which I've heard did not lend itself to well to playing this game in particular.

Interesting... I didn't know there was a difference between 5200 & 400/800 versions.

Is there a port of 5200 version for 400/800 ?

I saw how much MetalJesus loves this game on the 2600 so much, so I tried it...well your version, I don't play 2600 games. Wow, it is quite difficult.

Yeah, I've seen his review and he's definitely a fan. I am too; it's one of the greatest action games on the system.

• Like 1