IGNORED

New XB Game: Wizard's Doom (In Progress)

adamantyr

The game is complete enough I was able to play the Warrior... I got all the way to level 3 before breaking out for some fixes.

Specifically, the game was too easy. Once my warrior got a hold of a decent shield and accrued enough experience, monsters were just not able to hit him at all. I checked and my formula to calculate attack rolls for monsters just wasn't able to overcome the warrior's defense. Sure, they'd hit like 1 time out of 20, but they rarely got more than 4-5 attacks. It's weird because before I reduced the number of monsters per level, my first seed random dungeon was kicking the warrior's ass! Specifically, he had no weapons or armor for a long stretch of corridor he had to fight monster after monster through.

It's a tricky thing, balancing, as I need to make sure all three classes are viable... in all honesty, by the time I'm done, the adventurer class is probably going to have the hardest time of it; the hybrid spellcaster/warrior role will be tricky to keep in balance.

• Like 6

We are getting close! Close enough that I have commissioned a print shop to print the manual cover. :)

With the help of Owen and his son Buck, I've gotten a lot of good play-testing done over the last few days. (Thanks guys!) Per their request, I've added a save game feature. It probably would take 4-6 hours to complete a full game from beginning to end, so this is necessary so people can take a breather or even recover from a disastrous encounter.

Before I make a general release available, I intend to beat the game with the two core classes (warrior and magic-user) to ensure that both can survive all the way to the end. (My main concern here is that the magic-user may end up too fragile to survive.)

• Like 1

Quick update, still play-testing. :)

It's been a real trial to get the numbers just right! I want the game to be challenging but not impossible. At one point, both me and Owen were dying by level 3 because attrition was just too much. I've had little issues crop up that forced me to abandon saves which meant starting over a lot.

I definitely want to win the game before I put it out there. I'm feeling a bit guilty because Aperture is actually NOT possible to win; the last level relied on some in game physics that got changed later. I don't want this game to have that problem!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so work is keeping me SUPER busy and I just haven't had time to play the game properly... so I'm going to put my beta version up for download here so I can get some assistance. :)

Just unpack all the zip files into the DSK1 folder of your emulator and let Extended BASIC auto-load it. Instructions are included in a text file in the ZIP. I haven't tested the full game on real iron but it should work there.

I've mainly been playing the warrior class, so I haven't had much chance to test out magic user or adventurer. Nor have I reached level 5 and beyond, so I'm not sure if the final encounters will work. I highly advise saving your game at the start or end of any given level so you can restore it if needed.

If you encounter a breaking bug, list the line and print out all the variable values and post here with the data so I can investigate and determine what happened.

Wizard's Doom: WizardsDoom.zip

Edited by adamantyr
  • Like 2

And of course, the moment I start playing I find a game-crashing bug. :P To fix it in your local copies, copy and paste the following lines and re-save the main game file as WIZDOOM.

1170 T=90-LV*10 :: IF EC THEN 1110 ELSE GOSUB 2270 :: GOTO 1110
2295 FM,FI,CI=0 :: I=LEN(ER$):: ER$,EC$=""

I also updated the ZIP file to have this fix.

Edited by adamantyr
  • Like 1

Started a game as a magic user the night before last. It did not go well. LOL!!!

I should be able to post some screenshots tomorrow.

Buck has been playing alot of Oregon Trail and SimCity2000 as part of his homeschooling, so his computer time has been used mostly for schooling this past week.

Still have not beaten level 5 as any type of player... Those knights are bad dudes. :)

Oh yeah, you NEED to use your spells to survive as a magic-user. I haven't played as much with the numbers for spells so there's probably some calibration needed. (Longer duration, more potency, etc.) If you decide to do a magic-user, let me know if you think you need stronger spell effects or more potions or whatever to increase your chances of survival.

I've already made some minor changes, greatly increasing the amount of health and magic restored by potions. I probably want the game to be "too easy" for me, the creator who knows EXACTLY how to play, to make sure it's not impossibly difficult for everyone else. :)

• Like 1

Okay, I fixed some major bugs with monsters approaching you from adjacent chambers. I'd re-written this code a bit ago to move all the chamber processing into viewing calculations, as I hated the noticeable "lag" every 30 seconds or so when it tried to figure out if a monster was nearby on the fly.

Unfortunately, any major change like that has to be tested, and it turned out I had a ton of little bugs, and even mis-configured data causing it to look at the wrong chambers. No wonder it seemed like monsters weren't really moving towards me as much! :P

But it's fixed now. As you go deeper, monsters will be more aggressive in moving towards you from adjacent chambers. Plus I gave healing and magic potions much more oomph than they had before, so hopefully your survivability will be greater!

Please note: This is a beta version of the game. It is more or less complete and SHOULD be winnable but that has not been confirmed. I'd appreciate feedback on it!

Zip file: WizardsDoomBeta.zip

• Like 2