IGNORED

New XB Game: Wizard's Doom (In Progress)

adamantyr

• 1 month later...

Pushing to get it done...

I went through and increased experience for monsters across the board. I realized that requiring you to kill every single monster and find every treasure chest to max out experience was a bit excessive. :)

I also made one minor change that will likely greatly improve your survival chances; I had one-half of your experience factor count as armor. I figure if I'm bored and finding it ludicrously easy, it's probably just about the right difficulty level. :D

• Like 2

Okay, my changes seem to have worked... I have completed level 4 and am now on 5 in good health and in pretty good shape!

Level 4 was still a challenge... I got VERY lucky and obtained one of the most valuable items on the level immediately, which improved my survival chances. I started to think things were too easy again and then I got numbed by a ghoul and then into a pitched battle with a flying sword. Because I was numbed, it took SO many hits to kill it that I had to consume three healing potions to stay alive!

As part of my explorations, I added a new feature to the equipment screen: sort your backpack. This lets you sort them so that all weapons, potions, and whatnot are next to each other instead of scattered about. I may have to consider something similar for spells as well, or at least the ability to re-arrange spells so you can quickly cycle to your favorites.

Level 5 will be a very good test... if the monsters drop easily I'll make the monsters stronger rather than screw with the overarching formulas for combat.

• Like 2

Dumb question: Can I run this game from DSK2 or even DSK5? ....my DSK1 is pretty full, but my RAMDISK and 3.5" drive have some space left to play with

EDIT: I should explain I cannot get Legends to run from anything but DSK1, also my LOAD file that runs BOOT off DSK2, blah blah is on that...

Basically what I am saying is it would be a pain to swap out DSK1, would much rather just load this game on another DSK and add it to my BOOT menu :)

Edited by budz2355

I've gone ahead and added a "spell switch" option to the spellbook screen. (Which, interestingly, was broken in the beta release, oops!) That will let you move spells around so that you have your most used spells next to one another. I'm pretty certain this is going to be critical at the lower levels of the dungeon... And I definitely have to play the game as a magic-user to test them and make sure they can survive.

I'm still exploring level 5, but so far it's going well. I'm surviving all right, so I think the difficulty level is JUST right.

I'm strongly resisting the urge to tinker with anything. Just because I'm having an easy time of it is because I KNOW the mechanics!

• Like 2

Exploring level 6 now... I found that with a fully equipped and maxed out warrior, some of the last monsters were missing constantly, so I upped their attack power just a bit.

The REAL pain is when you lose your magic shield to an acid trap. Then suddenly you're getting pounded on!

And surprise surprise, ran into this fellow already...

post-17978-0-76593500-1475706401_thumb.png

• Like 1

Very nice. Very slick. Lovely graphics. Execution speed fine. Well done. :thumbsup:

I would change the triple-dot punctuation mark to two dots, so it doesn't stick to the last letter. Alternatively use 2 characters for three dots.

;)

Thank you! After I finish play-testing I am going to do some small minor graphics clean-ups... most of the monsters are fine, just a few I want to adjust a face or two, add some details, etc. I'll have a look at the triple dot. ;)

Success! I have met the Evil Wizard and slain him in combat...

post-17978-0-37829300-1475786977_thumb.png

I found a TON of bugs related to the final combat to fix. Some was just messy screen clean-up problems with text, another was that the wizard didn't actually DIE when I killed him at first, it kept resetting the encounter. Then I found an errant GOTO that took you to the bad ending when you killed him, whoops!

I didn't have to max out the warrior with full health and stuff to win the game, or even explore all of level 6. (You NEED to explore it for other reasons but that would be telling...) The Evil Wizard wasn't even able to hit him at first, until he corroded his shield away. I ended up using all my holy waters to remove negative states and with power potions, the warrior can basically kill almost anything in 3-5 blows. So while I'm kind of like "Eh, too easy", I'll resist making them tougher. ;)

So now I have to play the game over again with the magic-user. A big concern I had was that if I optimized the game for the warrior, the MU may end up getting skragged too fast. Time to find out...

• Like 3

Okay, so I'm going on vacation this weekend and part of next week, so I'm not going to be able to test the magic-user's prowess in the dungeon much.

So, here's an updated beta version that I KNOW is winnable with the warrior at least, and that all the final combat stuff is working as designed. :)

If anyone wants to play around with the magic-user and let me know how it goes, I'd appreciate it very much! I've cleared level 1 with him and so far, he's actually pretty powerful. The Bolt and Ward spells give him a decent edge and my mana consumption formula is fairly cheap at low levels. I almost didn't have to use a mana potion at all on level 1 but I suspect that will change as you go deeper and the higher level spells require more mana.

Zip: WizardsDoomBeta.zip

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize. I played this game once a few versions ago. I was completely blown away by it. Truth be told, it's on my top 3 list to play. if only I could make the time wiuthout putting anymore projects on hold.

I'm really waiting until it's done before I do this. Hopefully next time you pull the call out for testers I can jump on it..

I apologize. I played this game once a few versions ago. I was completely blown away by it. Truth be told, it's on my top 3 list to play. if only I could make the time wiuthout putting anymore projects on hold.

I'm really waiting until it's done before I do this. Hopefully next time you pull the call out for testers I can jump on it..

I know the feeling dude! Play games or write them? Rarely time for both! :D

I found my spell switching routine was busted anyway, so I fixed that. My plan at this point is to just go to full release, because the game is complete enough I'm not getting much from "free" testing. If your game is FULL of bugs you get lots of feedback. ;) "Fix your game so I can play it, damn it!"

Also, the game is VERY long to play a complete session, something I'm bearing in mind. Since each dungeon level gets progressively larger, it takes more and more time to complete them. My rough guesstimate on finishing a game is 4-6 hours of play. The save game feature is absolutely necessary.

• Like 1