IGNORED

Why VR is so DIFFICULT & EXPENSIVE & should gamers CARE?!

Dave Nunez has a PHD in Computer Science & Virtual Reality (VR) & helps answer the questions:

Why is VR so hard?

Why is it so expensive?

And which VR setup should gamers get?

What are your thoughts on VR? Will it die like it did in the 90s? Or is now the perfect time for VR to become....reality?! ;)

• Like 4

Why is VR so hard:

It's not, really. People are just lazy and expect ease of use so strapping a device to your head just requires way too much effort. Pfft... as if.

Why is it so expensive:

It's not, really. You can toss your phone into a cardboard box and strap it to your head now. It's ridiculous how convenient and easy it's become. It's also ridiculous.

And which VR setup should gamers get:

Real gamers don't even VR because PC MASTAH RACE.. wait, hold that thought....

It's not, really. People are just lazy and expect ease of use so strapping a device to your head just requires way too much effort. Pfft... as if.

You might wanna watch the video a bit closer... as Dave lays out just how tough it actually is to do VR and not make the majority of the public sick.

Also Google Cardboard (or ViewMaster VR which is what I have) is only good for about 20 minutes before the eye strain kicks in from the cheap optics.

• Like 2

Yep technology has improved, but reports i've read still point to there being a long old road to travel before it's there to really deliver the true VR experience people are expecting.

Until they can deliver the CPU power, along with 4K displays at a consumer friendly price and fit it all around hardware that can track the postioning of the players body, without needing a fair old whack of empty space around the tracking cameras you need on some of these to be set up, i think it's still firmly in the great potential, but consumer level products are still some way off.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong though :-)

Phenomenal video! You found the perfect guest for this one and it was really interesting and informative to hear the thoughts and opinions of someone who has a PHD in the field and is truly qualified to discuss VR in depth (all puns intended). Anyone can share their opinions on a subject, but to hear the thoughts of someone professionally qualified to talk about it was just fantastic.

As far as my own perspective on VR goes, sadly I'm among the 30% or so of the population who gets violently ill from just a few minutes of VR use so I'm definitely going to pass on the current VR trend. On the upside of things, I don't have any problem at all with the stereoscopic 3D effect on the 3DS and I love the sense of immersion it creates. So while I may not be able to comfortably insert myself into a 3D virtual world I can still enjoy viewing 3D virtual worlds from an outside perspective, and I really hope that Nintendo carries this technology over to whatever they have coming NeXt. :)

• Like 1

You might wanna watch the video a bit closer... as Dave lays out just how tough it actually is to do VR and not make the majority of the public sick.

Also Google Cardboard (or ViewMaster VR which is what I have) is only good for about 20 minutes before the eye strain kicks in from the cheap optics.

My apologies, I was just being a sarcastic ass and meant nothing more of it =D nevermind me... and you're right, the mobile phone VR headsets make me sick.

Phenomenal video! You found the perfect guest for this one and it was really interesting and informative to hear the thoughts and opinions of someone who has a PHD in the field and is truly qualified to discuss VR in depth (all puns intended). Anyone can share their opinions on a subject, but to hear the thoughts of someone professionally qualified to talk about it was just fantastic.

My mind was being blown during the filming of this video as well... which was a lot of fun to make. The comment about the lenses really explained a lot!

• Like 2

Not watched the video yet. But the reason is simple and twofold. 1- It's too expensive and the tech isn't there. 2- People keep trying to use it for applications that don't benefit from it.

Good VR has been around in flight simulators for the past 30 years.

Dave Nunez was a great guest! I've admired his tiny 3D printed classic consoles on Etsy. I like how he laid out his skepticism for consumer VR. It does seem that vehicle simulations, where you're natuarally seated while operating a car or spaceship, would be best. Perhaps the folks who are most amped for this prefer that kind of game as well?

• Like 1

I feel like VR is skipping a step. I have seen a variety of video glasses on places like eBay and YouTube that promise to provide theater like experiences where it is suppose to look something like a 100" screen levitating in the distance of a dark void. The main problem with them though is that since they are online I have no way to test them out to see how well, if at all, they work. Anyway, I think they should focus on making devices like that to use for consoles, televisions, computer monitors, etc. that you can try out in stores. People like big ass screens and since they would essentially be the video equivalent of audio headphones with maybe 3D there wouldn't be as many issues to solve compared to VR. What I'm getting at is that first I think they should focus on just all purpose monitors for our heads with the selling points of providing screen sizes that can't practically fit in a home and to provide the same privacy as headphones do for sound. Then once it is common to see something like everyone in a living room with a headset on to watch TV and therefore already used to headsets move on to upgrading the experience to VR.

I just want 3D from my favorite gaming chair and this guy is talking about flight simulators, smells, and running around in 3D space.

Playing a game on my 3DTV using polarized glasses actually worked great for a lot of games but it takes a really big TV to give any real sense of immersion.
A headset that lets me look around would be awesome for FPS, and I used one back in the 90s to play Mechwarrior (THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY MECHWARRIOR IMHO!). But the unit was $600+, I think the resolution was 320x200 or less, and there were only a couple games that supported it.
Based on that experience, I'm not sure 4K resolution is required in order to have a great VR experience... but HD would certainly be easier on the eyes than that old model I got to use.

Dave is right on the optics. After using that 3D headset for Mechwarrior for a half hour I was definitely ready for a break.

One serious problem with VR is making people sick. If you get the 3D rendering wrong or even if a person's eyes are spaced differently enough than another's, you can make a person sick. We looked at some badly rendered 3D in my computer graphics class that would make some people dizzy or nauseous very quickly.

Very good video and confirmed my believe that VR will probably not go mainstream. There are too many factors that will make it fail. Many companies tried and failed before, probably like your guest said do to our senses not syncing to the game play / immersion. A lot of people were and are getting sick from VR sickness while playing games.

I would also agree that for racing and flight simulators VR would be and is perfect for that. I have a racing chair and steering wheel and I really enjoy the racing games. The only thing I'm missing is the G Forces and VR helmet for full immersion.

• Like 1

I have seen some new VR game previews on Youtube, not good at all, it's like Wii games all over again.

I don't know if it's that bad, but then again the latest attempt at VR is probably the biggest push it's ever gotten so far. The tech can certainly get better, and so long as it survives it likely will. I tend to think that if it fails, it'll be more because the companies making the hardware end up making it fail by alienating their user base with retarded decisions.

Latest VR gig is wearing a helmet thing while riding a real rollercoaster.

I guess you can put your phone in a holder and tie the holder around your face too or something.

If they say it's cool it must be cool.

attachicon.gifI2016-06-08-56E0A89D7E4C_600x300.jpg

I experienced a VR coaster last week at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio). They have added VR to the Superman Krypton Coaster. While not perfect, it was pretty damn cool, and the park can swap out the VR experience periodically for new ones. The loading and unloading process takes MUCH longer than normal, which is the biggest drawback. Plus, it required considerably more ride operators than normal, including people to sanitize the headsets after each ride!

..Al

Ermm.. Motion sickness on a rollercoaster..!

Actually, this should give you less motion sickness than sitting in a chair at your computer and running a VR roller coaster simulator. As long as what is displayed through the VR headset matches the motion your body is experiencing on the roller coaster (and it did in my experience), then you probably won't experience any more motion sickness than you would without the headset. VR and roller coasters are a great pairing exactly for this reason.

..Al