IGNORED

DoubleDown back from the grid!

doubledown

Long time no type. I realize that this "topic" really doesn't belong in this forum per se, but as most of you perhaps wondering what the hell ever happened to me are ColecoVision/Adam collectors, this seemed like the right place to be. Al and staff, feel free to move this as you see fit. So it's been what 6 or 7 years since I've been around here and yes I'm still alive and the reason for my disappearance...well any number of reasons I suppose. The main reason for my initial disappearance was buying a house. Which as you can imagine required the boxing up everything I owned, including all my video games, tools, and ColecoVision kiosk, and moving it all...after the long search for a house of course. After I bought the house, there were lots of things to do, and the video games, as boxed, got neatly stacked wall-to-wall, and floor-to-ceiling in my 3rd bedroom; where believe it or not still remain to this day. The kiosk however is set up in my downstairs family room, in case some of you were wondering. I guess too I got a little burnt-out and/or bored with the ColecoVision mods and such, and just needed a change. Additionally my work schedule, mostly in regards to my travelling for work, keeps me busy out of town more than 24 weekends a year, which sometimes leaves me just enough time when I am at home between jobs, to mow the lawn, do the laundry, and take care of a few other things before I have to head out again.

Over the years I've gotten e-mails from AA as I would receive the occasional PM about something I posted years ago in regards to something I was selling, some mod I did, or if my services were still available and the likes. A few of you I answered, most I simply ignored as I was not set up, or at the time available and/or interested, to really provide any mods, hardware, or services. I've gotten a few more than the usual PMs recently so I decided to check out the forums to see what's been going on in my absence and noticed the occasional thread about me or something I did years ago, and they all end up with "don't know what happened to him" type of comments. That all being said, I'd like to say hello to all of you that I considered friends, and thank you to all of you who respected any/or purchased any of my work.

At this point in time I'm not sure if I'll get back into ColecoVision mods or not, I do occasionally miss the creativity of it, so who knows. Maybe another round of custom controllers, or a Mini ColecoVision or two could happen if there is still a demand for them. Well thanks for reading, and live on with the knowledge that I'm still alive and kicking.

• Like 15

Well I'm glad to see that some of you are still so interested in my precious ColecoVision kiosk! Maybe another one will show up on ebay some day for you all to fight over. Other than a little dust on it right now, it's as big and pretty as ever. Looks like a lot of stuff going on in the CV homebrew hardware and game world these days. At this point I can't even imagine what I could do that isn't being offered by any number of others around here right now. Seems like about 100 new games have come out since I left, plus the SGM, the F18A, and the Colevision Flashback and Rasberry Pi emulation crap...what the hell is left to do?!? Can't anybody else make a Mini ColecoVision or proper modded and/or themed controllers? Being away for 7 or so years now, I just don't know what anybody here is looking for that's not already available. Another set of "game themed" controller sets could happen if anybody could think of a game worthy with 2 complementary color/game schemes like the ones I did for Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Junior. Like I said, being away all these years, I really don't know where the current collector marketplace "holes" lie. I almost hate making custom controllers if people aren't going to use them...seems like a waste. You all tell me I guess, what isn't already around that I could possibly do?

how about a homebrew supersketch compatible product

Trust me the Super Sketch is best left shrink-wrapped in its box on a shelf! What would a compatible product be, a new program for the peripheral, or a new peripheral for the program? To be honest I haven't touched a Super Sketch since way back in the day when my buddy Sammy had one with his ColecoVision. As an adult I've never had one to take apart to see exactly what is inside it.

I think most of the market is covered except Mini CV with F18a and SGM.

Perhaps SGM could be built in?

And I think a few are still on a look out for a really good component video mod.

The Mini CV with F18A and built-in SGM is simple enough, just need the hardware and someone willing to pay the price I suppose. I don't know how hard the F18A and SGM are to get a hold of these days. Mini ColecoVisions cost some big money last time I made one, more than most were willing to pay. I only ever sold 2, the first one, as pictured in my avatar, I sold on ebay, and the other was the Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man arcade Mini commissioned by Ax. I know I have another case around here somewhere, but I don't remember if its the "flat-top" or the "sloped" arcade style. I think it was the arcade style as I was planning on making a DK/DK Jr. version next, but never got around to it.

Edited by doubledown

F18a you can buy here:

http://codehackcreate.com/store

SGM is being sold on AA store (as pre-order)

What was the going price for Mini CV?

Perhaps more CV Mini's could be sold by selling a kit? i.e. cut shell, stickers, and perhaps power supply. NKK switches, db9 ports and perhaps some other parts could be purchased from Digikey, this way customer can use their existing CV system board.

Not sure if Mini CV was expensive due to a ton of wiring. If you think a custom PCB would help let me know. I've made about 100 different PCBs for various projects over the last few years.

• Like 1

Trust me the Super Sketch is best left shrink-wrapped in its box on a shelf! What would a compatible product be, a new program for the peripheral, or a new peripheral for the program? To be honest I haven't touched a Super Sketch since way back in the day when my buddy Sammy had one with his ColecoVision. As an adult I've never had one to take apart to see exactly what is inside it.

The Mini CV with F18A and built-in SGM is simple enough, just need the hardware and someone willing to pay the price I suppose. I don't know how hard the F18A and SGM are to get a hold of these days. Mini ColecoVisions cost some big money last time I made one, more than most were willing to pay. I only ever sold 2, the first one, as pictured in my avatar, I sold on ebay, and the other was the Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man arcade Mini commissioned by Ax. I know I have another case around here somewhere, but I don't remember if its the "flat-top" or the "sloped" arcade style. I think it was the arcade style as I was planning on making a DK/DK Jr. version next, but never got around to it.

I would buy any controller mod set and most certainly the mini-cv and pay in advance. It's not just about what everyone else is doing, but about who is doing the work. But also, I would guess it would come down to the interest or passion 'you' might feel for a particular project (would doing this be fun). It would seem gauging interest in a project on AA would be fairly easy, and even taking pre-orders (works for TPB, CV and Opcode)... and then there's the kick-starter route which has been hit and miss...