IGNORED

Taking the plunge-Buying an Xbox One

As many times as I've said, "I'm not going with the newest gaming console", the opportunity is presenting itself for an Xbox One. With my trade in, some extra cash, I can get a unit and one game to start me on my adventures with the Xbone. There's a few of you around here that probably bought the console on day one of it's launch, then some of you that waited for a bit for Microsoft to iron out some "rough patches", but three years later I think I'm ready to try it out.

This won't be a brand-new unit, but a used one. I have a very specific amount to spend, and with the opportunity to buy Fallout 4 with it, I think I'll be happy with my upcoming purchase. I know there's talk within the community that Microsoft is making a "mini" model and a more "powerful" model (announcements at E3 most likely), but I'm not interested in VR or anything like that. This will be the first time in awhile I've actually "caught up" with modern gaming. My TV is also limited to 1080, and can't do 4K.

So, do you think that it's a good time? Do you recommend Fallout 4 for a good starter game to keep me busy for awhile? And not to mention that some of my Xbox 360 games will work on the Xbone. Also, we have a darn good internet connection so that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps I'll even multi play (perish the thought)!!

Thoughts on this upcoming purchase and beginning game would be welcome.

• Like 3

If it was me, I'd probably wait and see what happens over the next few days. I guess the caveat is if that deal is really good and won't be around after E3.

I've heard Fallout 4 is good but haven't tried it. Destiny: The Taken King is also a good choice if you like FPSes like Halo. There are currently a couple of sales for $30 for the legendary edition. A new current-generation-only expansion is coming in September. The only other game I play on XB1 is The Division, but I have a pretty low opinion of that buggy and poorly-designed (IMHO) game. While it has some fun aspects, I only really play it because it appeals to my stepbrother.

As an aside if you don't already have XB Live Gold, or need to renew soon, there's a $33 deal that I believe is still active: http://slickdeals.net/f/8816875-12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-card-digital-download-for-32-99-ac-newegg-com?p=85795239

And of course, if you have XBL Gold you can snatch up Goat Simulator whether you own an XB1 or not. :grin:

• Like 2

I was one who had the One on day one. I'll have to admit at that time I was less than impressed. It seemed like there were so many things my 360 could do that the One couldn't it was almost a step backwards. No voice messages, no custom soundtracks, no external hard drives, no backward compatibility, etc... You couldn't even play a 3D Blu ray in one. Little things that disappointed me. Most of that has ironed out and has been implemented. It's a much more versatile console.

I enjoyed Fallout 4. If you liked the older ones, it's pretty much more of the same with better graphics.I would also checkout Dead Rising 3 if you like those games. The Xbox One version is pretty cool. It was my favorite of the launch titles and I imagine pretty cheap these days.

• Like 1

The Xbone has been a super buggy console for me for a LONG TIME.. But I have to admit that now, it's much much better.

I still see some odd issues here and there (e.g. some of the free gold games I got constantly saying they can't be resume installed, try again later, etc.).. but that's a far cry from the maddeningness the console used to give me :lol: where it would go into endless menu loops, non-descriptive error messages, and constantly needing cache cleared, etc. I'm still a fan. Get one now that they're cheap

Edited by NE146

Thanks for the advice so far. I hadn't really considered one at all in the last week until just recently. The deal at Gamestop is too good to pass up, and I figured I could build up my library slowly, over time, and have a pretty good library by the end of the year. Question though: Anyone playing Elite: Dangerous? I've always enjoyed the Elite series and this seems like it might be right up my alley.

Yes, they do. It's a nice cushion in case the last person who owned it decided to drop it from their third-story window. Well, that's an over embellishment, but you get the idea. Usually in the past, I've never had any issues with used consoles. Most that I've picked up have been lovingly taken care of. Not sure, but it could be the case where someone wanted to return it to get a PS4, or some such thing. Gamestop might not be the most loved video game place out there, but my local shop does make sure everything works and is in good shape before reselling it.

Oh yeah, thanks for the link. I never did read that 7-day return policy that closely. Duh.

you short on cash? Don't do the trade in. XBOX 360 is still a better system all around. Do have cash? Go PC. The library is massivbe, and PC will get every single xbox exclusive from now on.

Don't care? Get this thing and have fun, I guess. But before getting an xbox one I'd take a look at the GOG sale that's going on right now to have an idea how PC gaming is like. But then again, people don't really seem to care. PCs are just way too disgusting.

• Like 1

I only took the plunge since I wanted to play Fallout 4. I have some buyers' remorse. Still have my 360, but there seems to be zero games that I can run on the Xbox One. Nothing's listed for backward compatability.

Really missing the background music option, especially for time-heavy games like Fallout & Skyrim.

While there's a few nice features to it, I'm wondering if I should have bought a PS4. But, this is what I have. Now I'm just waiting for cheap games to show up that I would be interested in.

Still funny to get an error dialog on the XB1 that mentions using the Windows key on your keyboard to get past it. Uh, I can't.

you short on cash? Don't do the trade in. XBOX 360 is still a better system all around. Do have cash? Go PC. The library is massivbe, and PC will get every single xbox exclusive from now on.

Don't care? Get this thing and have fun, I guess. But before getting an xbox one I'd take a look at the GOG sale that's going on right now to have an idea how PC gaming is like. But then again, people don't really seem to care. PCs are just way too disgusting.

No no, PC gaming is pretty awesome, but I personally prefer consoles. Now before you hate me, it's just my preferred gaming device. I'm not knocking PC games. If I could realistically afford a nice PC system, I would. However, this deal is exclusive "trade", so I do not have the cash. And yes, I love my Xbox 360 and there are a ton of great games on it. This is something I'm considering, not 100% committed to at this time. As I said, all insights are appreciated and everyone's opinion here is valued.

If its the only system you have its well worth it, there's a lot of great stuff out there now. If you have multiple systems and still have a 360 hooked up its not really worth buying unless your a console fiend like me (I do game a ton on PC and generally favor that above all else)

I don't use it that much anymore, I basically only power it on for exclusive games and to try some older BC 360 games. Some games that I own multiple copies of don't perform as well on it (Rocket League etc) and the dash is somewhat slow and sometimes hangs for no reason. Again, I'm comparing this to my own faster Windows 10 PC and a PS4. If they release their games on Windows 10 it may be even less of reason for me to turn it on. If it weren't for exclusives like the upcoming Scalebound and the nice BC feature I'm not sure why I would use it other than just having it.

I would think if your going to get one just wait for the newer model.

The XBOX One actually seems like a solidly built console. I don't mind the bulk if it's reliable. I'd rather have a working console than a slim one!

The games I recommend (that I own) are:

Rare Replay (awesome collction)

Killer Instinct (wait for it to be a complete bundle though--for now you can download the free version)

Diablo III (very addicting)

Batman Arkham Knight (sooo underrated!)

Mortal Kombat XL (actually feels like a true next gen game)

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

Strider

• Like 1

Fallout 4 is more streamlined compares to the previous Bethesda entries. I personally think New Vegas has the best all around gameplay. The best experience for NV is on PC with mods, when they work right. Fallout 4 is fun if you want more of a FPS experience. I personally think it's too streamlined, but it has a lot of gameplay hours.

The first game I bought was Rare Replay, and I think it should be in everyone's library. It probably has the best value out of any XBoxOne game. There's just a lot of content and something for everyone. It's pretty cheap now so it's a must buy.

If you like Halo, get the Master Chief Collection and the ODST add on. The first two in the series have cheats/enhancements that make the games more fun or challenging.

Killer Instinct is pretty fun. I'm not a big fighter fan, but it's worth a play. It has the most in depth fighting tutorial in a game.

Dead Rising 3 is pretty good. It has a darker tone but still tries to be funny which is a bit strange. If you liked previous entries, it's worth getting. They made a lot of improvements on how you interact with the environment.

As for Elite Dangerous, get it for PC with a HOTAS joystick if you can. I use a $50 Thrustmaster T Flight I got used on eBay that works great. Some people can play it with a controller, but after playing with a joystick I can never go back. People put crazy money into making "cockpits" for that game for good reason.

I had serious buyers remorse when I got it as it sat untouched for months. I very busy then though. My son hogs the PS4 and the main TV, so the Xbox One sees a lot more use. It is the console I use to play Fallout 4.

As for Fallout 4, be sure to wait for a good deal. It's pretty good. I got into the settlement building part of the game a lot more than I thought, so if you end up liking that part, you have endless hours of play. The DLC went way up in price earlier in the year, so buying the core game at full price plus the DLC is pretty expensive. I often see the core game on sale though.

Well, an after-buy report is in order. At first, I had a helluva time with trying to get it hooked to the internet down in my man cave. The solution was to MOVE IT 3 inches to the left. I've had no problems since! Weird how the signal is "stronger" only a few inches from where I initially set it up. Finicky little machine, but once that was done, it's smooth as glass. So besides my initial confusion on how things worked, with a few trips to the internet, I learned rather quickly how to shut it off, how to put it into power save mode, and how to navigate around the menus. Much more "not" user friendly than the 360, but once I got the hang of it, it was okay.

And yes, this is the only console I have now, so I'm going to make the most of it. Fallout 4 and Diablo III: Ultimate Evil edition were the two games I got for it to tide me over until July and another purchase. She's heavy, bulky, but I like the look. Reminds me of the Atari 5200 in that respect. The "streamlining" for Fallout 4 is pretty fun, as I'm trying to figure out how to survive and have already died a few times. I'm still working on the settlement building thing, as that's completely new.

She works like a charm and I've had no issues after the initial internet problem. Transferred over my user profile to it and the games that were linked to it as well, but not Kingdoms of Amalur, which doesn't work on the One. Overall, I like this system and over time it'll grow on me as I procure some more games for it over the course of the next few months. Out of my 20 games for my 360, only ONE will work on the console (Dead Space...I do love that title). I'm also looking forward to the new South Park game due out in December.

Elite: Dangerous is not able to run on my current (slow) laptop, so the only option for that game would be for the Xbone. I hope they release physical copies for it, but I'll download it if that's going to be the only option. We'll see, as there's several other games I'd like to get first that are a higher priority on my list. Dying Light looks pretty good (anyone play that around here?), and the new Gears also looks pretty awesome. I'll probably also get the Handsome Jack collection, as I love Borderlands.

Well, folks, thank you for your tips, concerns, cautions, and advise.

• Like 2

It's only a question of time untill all consoles start being produced in the 14nm finfet technology. It will make the systems consume less power and reduce the cost of cooler and enclosure. There is no reason not to use the newer technology. The only question is how much they can produce in the factories. But overall the more the better, cause volume will also tend to bring prices down and dissolve development costs, and generate more income for new research.

I think the xbox one is a joke. The console is big just because there's a ton of unused space. It was just quickly slapped together and rushed to market to be out together with the PS4 that is a much better thought out system. That said, for the prices an XBOX one is going for right now, and with the reasonable ammount of games out for it it's not a bad buy. The fact the xbox one is selling much less than the PS4 dropped the price a lot and made MS really invest in making the experience better.

Still, with the ridiculous library o games I have on the 360 I don't see myself "upgrading".

For people who feel t´hey've played their 360 to the last drop it's a good decision. I just happen to be a person that never felt like he was done with a console. Specially not one with the amazing library the 360 has.

I've been a long term XBox owner, and still have my original, an 360 and now the One.

Personally the main thing that has kept me in the Microsoft camp, was that I just didn't get on with the Sony controller, which might seem trivial to some, but when it's an item you'll spend an awful lot of time holding, it's worthwhile making sure you get on with it.

I've had my XBox One 2 years this christmas, and I can say without a doubt that what it is now is very different to what it was at the start, it has definitely matured over that time. Probably what has been the best aspect for me, is the backward compatibility mode, which has allowed me to keep playing some of my XBox 360 library, and is ever expanding with a lot of titles.

That feature, plus the ability to download up to 2 titles a month for free with XBox live Gold has allowed me to get my game library up to 27 games all told.

Plus adding an extra 2TB of drive space was really easy, I simply plugged in a USB 3.0 external drive and formatted it.

I've been gaming a long time, and went from 8 to 16 bit computers, to 16 bit consoles, to PC, and have swung right back to consoles. For me PCs just cost too much to keep up with, every new game that arrived and demanded extra horsepower, meaning a new hard drive, memory, CPU, graphics card or display.

So if you want to play games, and want the total cost of ownership to not escalate i.e. you're like most normal folks and have budgetary constraints, then a console is a great way to go, as it allows tight control over hardware costs over the lifetime of the console, and if you don't have to have each new blockbuster title on release day, and can wait for used or discounted games, it's even cheaper.

Gameswise, the Tomb Raider titles are brilliant, Destiny, Masterchief Collection, Alien Isolation, Fallout 4 (Comes with a free download for Fallout 3 XBox 360, runs on XBox One) all float my boat, and visually they are way ahead of the 360.

I guess I sound a bit like a Microsoft rep, but I think they've done a great job over the years, and OK, even if the PS4 does have a little more horsepower, the One is a very good console from my perspective.

Slighty off topic, but the nVidia Shield console looks to have real potential in a very small package if you don't wish to clutter up your living room :)

Edited by atarifanboi
  • Like 1

It's only a question of time untill all consoles start being produced in the 14nm finfet technology. It will make the systems consume less power and reduce the cost of cooler and enclosure. There is no reason not to use the newer technology. The only question is how much they can produce in the factories. But overall the more the better, cause volume will also tend to bring prices down and dissolve development costs, and generate more income for new research.

I think the xbox one is a joke. The console is big just because there's a ton of unused space. It was just quickly slapped together and rushed to market to be out together with the PS4 that is a much better thought out system. That said, for the prices an XBOX one is going for right now, and with the reasonable ammount of games out for it it's not a bad buy. The fact the xbox one is selling much less than the PS4 dropped the price a lot and made MS really invest in making the experience better.

Still, with the ridiculous library o games I have on the 360 I don't see myself "upgrading".

For people who feel t´hey've played their 360 to the last drop it's a good decision. I just happen to be a person that never felt like he was done with a console. Specially not one with the amazing library the 360 has.

I due tend to agree with you about the size. The Atari 5200 is a monster console...this seems to put it to shame. However, I don't mind the size, and have room for it to sit as a centerpiece for my entertainment needs. I don't disagree with you about the 360, either. I still have mine and will set that up as well, then sometimes get more games for it. However, I suppose you could say I'm in the Microsoft "camp" and enjoy my new-used Xbox One. The previous person who owned it took good care of it.

So in the end, I don't regret my decision. I like the looks of it, the interface, and the game play that I've experienced so far. So much so, I just bought another game for it under $20. I can score deals like that every once in awhile and buy a more expensive game as my "fun budget" permits. I don't hate any system in particular, but the urge to get one was pretty strong and I had the trade means to get one. Some people don't like the artwork or cases...I actually like them being about 1/2 the size of the 360 games, but that's just my personal preference.

Looks like I'm in the Xbox camp, for both the 360 and the One.

• Like 2

Glad you're having fun with it. I got one in a special bundle deal last year with Halo collection from an online grocery store...it wasn't really something I needed or even badly wanted, but it's fun to have backwards compatible 360 games and the Gold freebies with a nice new controller. Ea Access is a great deal too, they give you tons of freebies. I don't care much for sports games but I do like to see what modern consoles can do.

Cuphead and Crackdown will be day one purchases for me.

• Like 1

Probably what has been the best aspect for me, is the backward compatibility mode, which has allowed me to keep playing some of my XBox 360 library, and is ever expanding with a lot of titles.

>>>best feature of a console be backwards compatibility is not a very good sign...

That feature, plus the ability to download up to 2 titles a month for free with XBox live Gold has allowed me to get my game library up to 27 games all told.

>>>You know that on the xbox 360 all games you download "free" on the gold program are yours to keep forever, but on the xbox one they are "yours" to play as long as you keep paying for the gold membership?

I've been gaming a long time, and went from 8 to 16 bit computers, to 16 bit consoles, to PC, and have swung right back to consoles. For me PCs just cost too much to keep up with, every new game that arrived and demanded extra horsepower, meaning a new hard drive, memory, CPU, graphics card or display.

So if you want to play games, and want the total cost of ownership to not escalate i.e. you're like most normal folks and have budgetary constraints, then a console is a great way to go, as it allows tight control over hardware costs over the lifetime of the console, and if you don't have to have each new blockbuster title on release day, and can wait for used or discounted games, it's even cheaper.

I game on an i5 4400 and a GTX 750ti. I have to play on low settings and sometimes even reduce resolution, but I could play dark Souls 3 with a very solid 60FPS, while both consoles play capped at 30FPS with lots of even lower framerates.

As far as spending money goes, I bought Dark Souls 3 for 32 euros, and SFV for 35. That was ridiculously expensive, because I bought them quite early on. Right now on GOG.com you'd build a library of great games, paying around 5 bucks a piece, all DRM Free. Some are old, some are new. PC gaming is only as expensive as you want it to be. It is not as it used to be that every 2 years tech would have advanced so much, you just can't keep up anymore. Games are way more scalable than before, and hardware manufactureres are hitting some walls in terms of increasing performance. Yes right now there is a big leap with the "new" 14 and 16 nanometers for graphics cards, but intel still only gets around 5% improvement to their processors every year. It's negligible. There are tons of people playing brand new games with 4 year old processors and having a great experience at that. I am not saying you have to play on the PC, you do whatever you want. But it's not true that PC gaming is expensive. And considering how good the indie scene and the mod community are, PC gaming might be actually cheaper, since that same Fallout game will give you 3x more content on PC. And the indies are often cheap and way better than these "AAA" games out there.

The only reasons not to go PC right now are: if you just really don't have the money on hand to do the initial investment, cause that is actually larger, but you'll save a ton in the long run, or if you just find PCs a hassle, and you just can't/don't want to learn how to operate and maintain a PC. Otherwise games on PC are cheaper, both day one and latter on, you don't pay the fees for online, you have more games, you have more controll options and mods.

Not to mention, it's very unclear what the lifespan of this new generation is going to be. Most likely not the same 6-8 years most people expect out of their consoles.

Love the X1 also. Have had one since launch and the system keeps improving. The dash, the elite controller, the 1st party games, and games with gold each month make it the best buy out there for my money. I'm not really sure I'd ever buy the next XBox upgrade day one though,because i dont buy that many games on day one. I'll probably just wait a year and see how the new one looks to me,game wise.

E3 in Monday and I'll be watching closely on what they speak about of new games and hopefully a hint of the new XBox will be fun to watch. Overall I've felt very satisfied with my purchase the last 3 years.

Microsoft have transitioned allot from just putting out hardware to focusing allot more on games over the last 15 years of XBox. Very night and day now. Games like Cuphead, Recore,ScaleBound, and Sea of Thieves have me looking at E3 very closely. Enjoy your new XBox dude,great time to own one with all the great games it has.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

I really am enjoying my Xbox One at this point. Purchased Lords of the Fallen Complete edition last light and added it to my meager library of three games. lol But I really am liking that game, even though it's going to take some practice before I get "good". But the other game I bought (with Fallout 4) is Diablo III: Ultimate Evil edition. Am I correct in assuming that sometimes they do patches on it? This is my main "go to" game, as I've always loved Diablo from the very beginning.

I like the fact that everything is working great, and that I believe overall I made a good purchase, even though it was all trade in money but $50. And Fallout 4, in my opinion, is a really great game with lots to do. More of the same, sure, but it's pretty darn awesome.