IGNORED

Taking the plunge-Buying an Xbox One

I did see that one in the store the other day, and was thinking about it. I think (but don't quote me) I'll add Doom to my list for July, as it' looks great and I'm a long-time Doom fan from the early days. But then again, some of the remastered games are on my list (Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of them), so I'm not 100% certain in what order I'm going to purchase these games.

A was a little taken aback by the difficulty of Lords of the Fallen (so much so I was cursing by the third time I was fighting the first boss and getting my butt kicked by another "guy"). I think with some practice I'll get better, but for now I'm focusing on Fallout 4 and building my character up. The game is so immersive..more so that I was initially expecting it to be, and it's quite taken my breath away.

Congrats on the purchase! Definitely add DOOM to your buy list if you are a fan of the old ones. It's easily one of the best "reboots" I've played. The game kicks ass and you won't be disappointed. :)

Glad you are enjoying your new console. Now's a good time to get into it because so many of its better games can be had really cheap.

I game on an i5 4400 and a GTX 750ti. I have to play on low settings and sometimes even reduce resolution, but I could play dark Souls 3 with a very solid 60FPS, while both consoles play capped at 30FPS with lots of even lower framerates.

The only reasons not to go PC right now are: if you just really don't have the money on hand to do the initial investment, cause that is actually larger, but you'll save a ton in the long run, or if you just find PCs a hassle, and you just can't/don't want to learn how to operate and maintain a PC. Otherwise games on PC are cheaper, both day one and latter on, you don't pay the fees for online, you have more games, you have more controll options and mods.

Not to mention, it's very unclear what the lifespan of this new generation is going to be. Most likely not the same 6-8 years most people expect out of their consoles.

So first off you're readily admitting to reducing your resolution for the sake of framerate? Second, in terms of investment, my Xbox One cost me £250. The cheapest GTX 750ti I could find was £88.50, and the cheapest i5 4400 was £166.68.

Already you have just about hit the cost of the Xbox without a case, RAM, HDD, display, keyboard and mouse.

Given that PC hardware moves on very fast, and developers like to push hardware hard, it is likely you will find there are games you want to run, which will need you to upgrade your hardware in probably 3 years. This means another investment whilst the consoles are still pretty capable and consistent, plus during the life of a console, games available at the end of it's life, are vastly superior to those at the beginning, but still use the same hardware.

Look, I'm not trolling or flaming here, just sharing my experience. I used to be a PC owner and I spent a lot of money over the years just to have hardware to run the games I wanted to play.

But if you look at the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the PC or console, even if you include games and other accessories, such as controllers, which both will need, the PC will most likely come out more expensive, since the average lifespan of a PC is probably no more than 3-4 years before you need to upgrade, whereas consoles are 7-8 years these days, and the initial investment is much smaller with a console.

HOWEVER if you already have a PC, and you can spare the cash to regularly upgrade, stick with the PC.

I followed the PC path for a long time, but in the end I couldn't afford the regular upgrades at the time, so moving to a console, the original Xbox, made sense, especially since I was able to move away from a side room and take my gaming into the living room on a much larger screen.

I've stuck with Xbox now, and have all 3 models, and I don't regret it at all. I can spend whatever spare cash I do have on getting games I know will run consistently on the console, without a need to upgrade something or other.

Just my opinion folks.

• Like 2

Congrats on the purchase! Definitely add DOOM to your buy list if you are a fan of the old ones. It's easily one of the best "reboots" I've played. The game kicks ass and you won't be disappointed. :)

Glad you are enjoying your new console. Now's a good time to get into it because so many of its better games can be had really cheap.

I've noticed that some of the games are as good as $20 or lower, which actually surprised me, since I figured ALL the games would be at least $40 to $60 in price. This was a pleasant surprise and one that I welcomed, so I could build my new library fairly cheaply. Of course I am willing to pay $60 for a game I really want, but normally I hunt the bargains to have a nice diverse selection of games from most of the genres (especially 1st person and Action/RPG games).

Doom looks phenomenal from what I've seen so far on YouTube. It's one I aim to get probably in a few weeks, and there's games that were announced at E3 that I'm interested in as well (namely Gears of War 4, which looks spectacular and has some new elements of game play that peaked my interest further).

But if you look at the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the PC or console, even if you include games and other accessories, such as controllers, which both will need, the PC will most likely come out more expensive, since the average lifespan of a PC is probably no more than 3-4 years before you need to upgrade, whereas consoles are 7-8 years these days, and the initial investment is much smaller with a console.

You don't believe me that's fine. I am saying from the start PC gaming and console gaming have changed. What was true for the last gen isn't anymore. You don't have to upgrade your PC every 3-4 years, and even if you do upgrade it's likely going to be only the GPU.

Now as far as the consoles lasting you 8 years, the next xbox one is officially announced with release due 2017. New games will still run on the old hardware. Just like they will still run on my PC.

I am not here to convince you of anything. I am just here to warn people about the objectively inaccurate things you'Re claiming based on the state of PC and console gaming 10 years ago that just aren't true anymore. Next generation of intel processors is rumored to have marginal performance improvements. Considering the last generation got 5-10% improvements, I wonder how much this next one will do 3%?

With higher resolutions and framerates being pushed it's easier than ever to keep your old hardware still running the games.

I suggest people do some research to understand the actual state of PC gaming in terms of hardware and development before simply asuming buying a console is cheaper and will last you more.

^ yeah

I have a PC like the one leods uses, it cost me $600 two years ago and can play anything I throw at it. PC gaming is cheap nowadays, and it's been that way for a while now. While you CAN upgrade to the latest $800 video card every six months, the actual improvements on most games you can buy nowadays aren't going to be visible -- most games don't/can't use more than 8GB of ram, either.

Unless of course, you're looking to be on the bleeding edge of 4K video and VR, but that's not going to be economical for several years. 1080p on the TV is plenty of dots for me.

Naw, not really sure or even really know what 4K is, and VR is slightly intriguing, but not so much as to rethink my whole "old Xbox One" console purchase. I was mildly amused by Microsoft's announcement, and yeah, even I could tell you that the slim was due for a release, but the Scorpio? Meh. If I can buy new games that work on my current console, then I'm happy. I can play all my favorites and have my hands rubbing together in anticipation over games such as Gears of War 4, the new South Park game, a remastered Skyrim, and many more.

PC gaming is just not something I want to get into. I don't have the budget to pursue building a gaming machine. And the only reason I got the Xbox One is that I could trade a system in to get one in the first place. Otherwise, I wouldn't have one. It was a calculated (down to the penny) trade, and even then I had to scrape up an additional $50 to get two games with it. I just saw an opportunity and I went for it. I do that sometimes, well, a lot of times.

I'm trying to get behind a gaming console I'm NOT going to trade off in 3 months. I have a bad track record of doing that (as anyone who's been around here long enough can attest to), so if I can get the games I loved in another form or remastered, or a sequel for the Xbox One, I'm in like Flynn. I loved the show Microsoft put on at E3, and my jaw dropped a couple of times (yeah, call me easily impressed, I suppose). But it makes me HAPPY, I love the thrill of a new game reveal, how it makes me go, "holy crap!". Just like a kid again...the excitement of that game you heard your friends talk about then you actually get to experience it for yourself.

Now as far as the consoles lasting you 8 years, the next xbox one is officially announced with release due 2017. New games will still run on the old hardware. Just like they will still run on my PC.

I suggest people do some research to understand the actual state of PC gaming in terms of hardware and development before simply asuming buying a console is cheaper and will last you more.

Look I'm not going to argue the toss anymore, I've simply been pointing out my own personal experiences having been both a PC and Console gamer, starting off with 8086 PCs. People can make up their own minds.

And I can tell you, I do research before I post anything, and the new Xbox One, and the Scorpio which will follow are out of step with normal console development, as is the PSP4.5. I smell somebody trying to make more money here.

Good luck whichever platform you're on, both are excellent, and suit different peoples needs. Enjoy your platforms :)

Edited by atarifanboi

There's plenty to like about the One, especially now that it plays a bunch of old 360 games too. Congrats, I'm jealous of how happy you seem about it! :-D

It feels like the time (years ago) that I got the Genesis console system with the pack-in game, Starflight (yes, that was the game with the system...there were multiple bundles and I was a BIG Starflight fan back in the day). I was sooooooooo excited to open and hook up my Genesis. It feels also like the first time I laid eyes on my boxed Atari 2600 when I was six, after opening it on Christmas morning.

I didn't get that feeling with the last system I owned. It's nice to play the remakes and remasters of games I grew up with in the late 80's/early 90's.

Edited by DS Dude
  • Like 2

It feels like the time (years ago) that I got the Genesis console system with the pack-in game, Starflight (yes, that was the game with the system...there were multiple bundles and I was a BIG Starflight fan back in the day). I was sooooooooo excited to open and hook up my Genesis. It feels also like the first time I laid eyes on my boxed Atari 2600 when I was six, after opening it on Christmas morning.

I didn't get that feeling with the last system I owned. It's nice to play the remakes and remasters of games I grew up with in the late 80's/early 90's.

I'm VERY jealous of you now! I have an Xbone but only like it, just don't love it.

I'm drowning my sorrow in the big Nintendo eShop sale. Surely throwing money at it will make me happy, right? :-D

Something tells me, no..lol But I understand where you're coming from. So much "not love" for various consoles I've had in my life. I weep for all the money I've spent over the years being not quite satisfied with my purchase/trade. I've been looking for a long time for a system I will love, like I do my Atari 2600. I feel the same way about my Xbox 360, hence I set it up and it's alongside my Xbox One.

Finding time to play it whenever I can squeeze it in is neat, like a guilty pleasure. Saying things like "Hm, I really should be doing this. One more game first" then realizing three hours has disappeared....priceless.

Edited by DS Dude
  • Like 1

I'm VERY jealous of you now! I have an Xbone but only like it, just don't love it.

I'm drowning my sorrow in the big Nintendo eShop sale. Surely throwing money at it will make me happy, right? :-D

If there is something that doesn't make me happy is throwing money at Nintendo Digital stuff. In this aspect I have to admit Microsoft is number one. Their online account system works well and with the new backwards compatibility they have a pretty decent edge. And right now people with an xbox one gets the xbox one and the 360 freebies. That's pretty cool.

I've "discovered" that you can go to the store then confirm a demo purchase (free of course), and it'll install on your Xbox One at home immediately if it's on or be waiting for you to download when you turn it on. Now...folks might forget that I'm about 10 years behind everyone else in some of the tech stuff consoles and PC';s can do these days. I was absolutely amazed at this "feature", which I'm sure everyone else already knew about. :D

• Like 1

If there is something that doesn't make me happy is throwing money at Nintendo Digital stuff. In this aspect I have to admit Microsoft is number one. Their online account system works well and with the new backwards compatibility they have a pretty decent edge. And right now people with an xbox one gets the xbox one and the 360 freebies. That's pretty cool.

I know what you mean, a unified account system like every other platform would be nice, but honestly I don't care anymore. I'm only going to have one system at a time, used exclusively by me, and it's not like my kid is going to want to play all these dino games when I'm gone. I'd rather have a microSD card at risk* than a zillion stupid little DS game cartridges.

*the risk of losing my stuff is relatively small, I'm careful with my things and I think Nintendo would grant me re-download privs for all the stuff I've bought from them over the past 5 years.

I wasn't aware that they are having a sale, but knowing Nintendo, I bet it isn't all that much off (too lazy to look at the moment). Have had some decent finds with PSN flash sales. If it is only a few dollars, having it as digital doesn't bug me too much.

The 360 freebies are a plus... so now there is a digital pile of shame. When it is free or $5.00... great. When it is a $50-$60 dollar Nintendo game that is $10.00 off ... not so good.