IGNORED

Taking the plunge-Buying an Xbox One

Just becareful when buying an external,it needs to be usb 3.0. dont think 2.0 works at all.

And have you guys tried out PacMan 256? Its now available on the X1 and probably other platforms I'm guessing. Pretty damn fun,found myself playing it all evening and upgrading the power ups you earn by earning points(eating everything around the maze.) $5.00 well spent for me.

I love PacMan 256! Much better playing it on my XBO than my phone.

• Like 1

Storm Surge - Yep. I held off buying it on my phone too. Its glorious on a huge tv set and with a good controller in your hand.

Game gets tough though. You sorta hit a wall because as the game goes on more ghosts fill the maze. And then there's 256th key virus that follows you from the bottom of the maze,it gets nerve wracking as it makes its way up towards you. I find myself playing again and again,earning points to upgrade the power ups. Its the only way to get good at the game,lots and lots of replay value in the way its designed. Only one person on my friends list has the game,meh....I wish more would buy it cause its fun to compare scores. But that one person thats on my friends list that owns the game....Phil Spencer. Dude in an all out gamer,love that.

DS Dude - Yep, same here. I have all all the pacman games on my XBox too,along with Frogger,Golden Axe,Asteroids,O find myself playing these as theyre quick and relaxing games. Cant beat the classics. :thumbsup:

I love PacMan 256! Much better playing it on my XBO than my phone.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

I was leaning towards a WiiU for my (late) Next console purchase. I spent some time after renting a slew of games for both WiiU and XboxOne to play at my work's new "recreation area" where they have both a WiiU and and Xbone. After wrestling with the nightmare of having to install all the games I wanted to play (and having to delete other people's games in order to play them on the work Xbone), I gotta say I'm in with the Xbone. Nothing against the WiiU, but the controller is interesting in both good and bad ways. And the Xbone controller is several steps ahead of the 360's. I played Mortal Kombat X, Defense Grid 2, and Doom, and am definitely a fan of the graphics, the interface, and it just impressed me very much. Even though it was constantly pestering me about Xbox Gold which I've no interest in whatsoever (sorry to the peeps clamoring for XB Gold; never had it, don't want it, probably won't ever get it - really hate their "free games!" promos that always seem to be games I would never ever purchase, and don't play online).

Now the question is how long can I wait for it to perhaps drop to $250... And/or will I finally get to selling some of my older stuff that I don't fully appreciate anymore to finance the venture.

But I'm super glad to hear the OP's enjoying his XbOne so much - and I'll soon be joining you in the plunge. :)

• Like 1

Ever since the PS2, PS3, and 360 I've been untrusting of used / refurb systems from MS or Sony. Has the reliability been better for the XbOne?

I will likely rustle up some scratch & do some hardcore rationalizing & go for a new NameYourGame bundle with Rare Replay, but I am interested to know how they've fared.

Now the question is how long can I wait for it to perhaps drop to $250... And/or will I finally get to selling some of my older stuff that I don't fully appreciate anymore to finance the venture.

Now the XBox One S has launched, I know the price has started dropping in the UK for the original system, so you may be in luck sooner than you think :)

Edited by atarifanboi

Yeah, I think you can get an Xbox One (original) with a 3.5mm jack controller for 219 of memory serves right. That's the 500gb model, but the 3.5mm jack is a sure fire way to guarantee that you get a newer model console/controller. Launch controllers, for both ps4 and xb1, are utter garbage for reliability.

My impatience and rationalizing has cost me; yesterday morning I ordered the 1TB Gears Rare Ori 3.5mm headset jack controller pack from Amazon for $296, rationalizing it with my $40 in Amazon points / credit plus the $9 I'll get for using my Amazon visa to buy it. Wish I would've waited and saw your post, PlaysWithWolves; I basically lose out on Halo 5, extra controller, and possibly another game (though I wasn't really interested in any of what I read was offered). I honestly didn't even think about checking the Microsoft store, grrr. I don't think it's enough of a difference to return the one I'm getting (already on the way) which would require I pay the shipping back, but I did think about it. So thanks for the advice, I will be checking the Microsoft store for future Xbox goodies.

So, it ought to be here Tuesday, and I am quite pumped for it. :) Gonna immediately download PacMan 256 and Defense Grid 2, and Mortal Kombat XL is on the way to me too.

• Like 1

I've been loving my Xbone since the initial purchase, and haven't looked back (except to play some BC Xbox 360 games). Just recently added Elite: Dangerous to the mix, and the game plays great after the initial steep learning curve, however, connections to even get playing are a nightmare. Getting booted 4 times in a row isn't exactly a fun experience, either. At that point I gave up and went back to Fallout 4 (need to get to level 15 to get the Automatron DLC activated, anyway). Don't get me wrong, the game is stellar (see the pun there?), but many times I was either disconnected or couldn't get on at all. Frustrating.

the crown of my gaming library is Fallout 4. I mean, how much "fun" is it when you're sent to investigate something, run into a pack of super mutants, and get splattered all over the Commonwealth? Priceless.

• Like 1

And despite my missing out on a better deal that PlaysWithWolves mentioned, I'm so stoked for this I can hardly contain myself. Been putting it off for years for various reasons, all just mind games to save cash etc. Castle Crashers Remastered, Geometry Wars 3, Killer Instinct, and the stuff I previously mentioned, all for me soon.

What do folks think of Killer Instinct, btw? I'm a bit thrown by the pricing structure (free, but if you want anyone good or any extras, you buy the packs, which run up to $60 for the whole enchilada), but definitely intrigued. Wasn't very good at the older games, but I've heard it has the best tutorial ever in a fighting game which gives me hope for improvement.

The base Killer Instinct and the old game were given away via Games with Gold, but I haven't bothered to play it yet because I never liked the original. Tekken Tag Tournament 2, however, which was given away during e3 a few weeks back, is sublime. It's an XB360 game but it looks better than that on the Xbone.

Killer Instinct is great and it's come a long ways since release. If you are a fan of the originals, I don't think you will be disappointed, it's one of the better reboots in that regard.

Also, if you buy the Ultra Editions of Seasons 1 and 2, you also get the arcade KI games (the first for Season 1, the second for Season 2).

I've been loving my Xbone since the initial purchase, and haven't looked back (except to play some BC Xbox 360 games). Just recently added Elite: Dangerous to the mix, and the game plays great after the initial steep learning curve, however, connections to even get playing are a nightmare. Getting booted 4 times in a row isn't exactly a fun experience, either. At that point I gave up and went back to Fallout 4 (need to get to level 15 to get the Automatron DLC activated, anyway). Don't get me wrong, the game is stellar (see the pun there?), but many times I was either disconnected or couldn't get on at all. Frustrating.

the crown of my gaming library is Fallout 4. I mean, how much "fun" is it when you're sent to investigate something, run into a pack of super mutants, and get splattered all over the Commonwealth? Priceless.

Argh...I'm too late. I was going to tell you to get Live on sale for $30-$40 before getting Elite. Not sure why Elite is giving you problems. Elite is a big time time sink of a game. You will spend a couple of hours just getting take offs and landings down. The game has built in YouTube tutorials for all the basic maneuvers.

What is your Gamertag?

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

Loving the XbOne so far! :)

Stuff I am loving - Castle Crashers HD is $4.99 and is up to 60 fps, which is sweet. Mortal Kombat X(L) is even better than I expected and I can't wait to get more time with it, I've only played a bit of Defense Grid 2 but DG was always one of my favorites and I'm loving the sequel. Love the graphics, and think I like the interface of the system as a whole. Love the easy and simple way to record videos, and seeing short videos made by friends of games they're playing. Big fan of what I've played of Killer Instinct, trying to decide if I go in for the whole $60 game eventually or just buy it in bits and pieces as I see fit (was always terrible, just terrible at the old games but think I might be passable at the new one). Rare Replay is just simply insane. So many games, so varied and so cool; I can't imagine someone not finding a game or two or five or twenty they love on this compilation, and I've not even played most of them. Loving how quiet the system is, and how smoothly you go from one area to another. Seems much improved vs the 360 in those ways.

Downsides: Lots of installing (including an update to the -controller-??!?) took up my first night with it, and still getting used to it. Had my internet being fritzy tonight, and while playing Mortal Kombat -in single player offline mode- the game would give me a message about Xbox Live not being connected and send me back to the menu, resetting all my wins and progress through the tower mode. Very strange, hate being so utterly reliant on internet connectivity. My #1 complaint is the dearth of playable demos. That was honestly my favorite thing about the 360 - every single XBLA game had a playable demo,and there were scores of demos of full games.

An odd and difficult question - do most people go with the "Instant On" power mode, where it's basically sleeping and powers up quickly... or is it recommended to go with the Energy Saver mode which actually causes it to completely power down when off? I'm thinking about going energy saver but... I know that with PCs and such it's a back and forth argument over whether shutting the system completely down is harder on it in terms of reliability, as opposed to what you spend in the extra electric bills / environmental impact etc of keeping it basically on but in a sort of "sleep" mode. So any input appreciated on this little bit.

Edited by Curious Sofa
  • Like 1

Had my internet being fritzy tonight, and while playing Mortal Kombat -in single player offline mode- the game would give me a message about Xbox Live not being connected and send me back to the menu, resetting all my wins and progress through the tower mode. Very strange, hate being so utterly reliant on internet connectivity. My #1 complaint is the dearth of playable demos. That was honestly my favorite thing about the 360 - every single XBLA game had a playable demo,and there were scores of demos of full games.

Go to Xbox.com, login with your Live credentials, and make sure your Xbone is set to be your home console. It should be by default, but if it's not you will get kicked out of games if your internet goes out. If it is set to your home console, you should be able to play most games (with exceptions) offline. The exception is that it seems to be developer/game-dependent. For instance, if I play The Pinball Arcade and get knocked offline, I get kicked out of the game. It sounds like it may be the same with MKX. Most other games are fine and can be played offline as long as your Xbone is set to be your home console.

Argh...I'm too late. I was going to tell you to get Live on sale for $30-$40 before getting Elite. Not sure why Elite is giving you problems. Elite is a big time time sink of a game. You will spend a couple of hours just getting take offs and landings down. The game has built in YouTube tutorials for all the basic maneuvers.

What is your Gamertag?

Gamertag is Trekkie66. I'm not into the game much, since I can't really play it for extended periods of time. Either I can't reach their servers, or something goes belly up with Xbox Live during the middle of the game. Most frustrating, tending me to shut the game down and go on to something else. Once in awhile, however, my connection is spot on and I can play for hours. I checked my internet connection at these times and it's solid, so it's either Xbox Live or Frontier's connection/servers dinging me.

As far as the power mode goes, I keep it on energy saver. Even though it takes longer to get going, the whole unit and power brick shut down, which I prefer versus the power brick being on all the time.

Well, quick follow-up regarding Elite: Dangerous. Seems to be playing much better and is more stable now. Actually had a wonderful session the other night and stayed online with nary a hiccup. Not sure if the last update fixed some issues, but I'm not complaining.

Since everything IS plugged into a power strip, the energy saver mode seems most practical for me, anyway. Sometimes LIVE takes a few moments to kick in, but other than that, seems to be running great. No problems at all, except I'm starting to run out of space (40% used as of this text). I think I need to invest in an exterior hard drive soon, and a recharge dock. Eating AA batteries like no tomorrow.

Get some Eneloops man. :)

sanyo-eneloop-charger-001.jpg

Else, there's also the Xbone play and charge kit..

Yes, it's time. But it's going to have to wait until later on this month...spent too much on games already! :( but I really need to invest in this..overall it seems to manage the power consumption better than my Xbox 360. Anyone else notice this?