IGNORED

Missing power cord

DaNDeE

Hey guys,

I recently got a TI Silent Type 745 Terminal, but it is missing the power cord. It seems to be something old from the 70s and as I live in Germany, it is kind of hard to get information about it. Anybody's got a clue what kind of cable this is, and how it is called, or where to obtain it?

The plug is about 3cm wide, with is about 1.1inch and has three terminals.

Thanks.

falk

post-35745-0-68210900-1465910530_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I recently got a TI Silent Type 745 Terminal, but it is missing the power cord. It seems to be something old from the 70s and as I live in Germany, it is kind of hard to get information about it. Anybody's got a clue what kind of cable this is, and how it is called, or where to obtain it?

The plug is about 3cm wide, with is about 1.1inch and has three terminals.

Thanks.

falk

Doing a bit of Googling on the Silent 700, it looks like it uses a transformer between the wall socket and the machine to drop mains voltage to about 20 Vac. It doesn't take mains voltage directly. Just making sure you're aware!

Stuart.

Doing a bit of Googling on the Silent 700, it looks like it uses a transformer between the wall socket and the machine to drop mains voltage to about 20 Vac. It doesn't take mains voltage directly. Just making sure you're aware!

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

thanks fot the hint and "uuummpf"... this will be hard to track down. I wonder how it would be carried around, as there is no space inside the case and nothing where to put such an external PSU into.

On the manual I couldn't find any note about it as well (http://passthrough.fw-notify.net/download/021081/http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/pdf2/TI%20Silent%20700%20Model%20745%20Operating%20Instructions.pdf).

On page 10 it says that you should just plug it directly into the wall socket (115V).

There are other models of the TI 700 Series... probably you got another one?

best,

falk

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ksarul, thanks for the hint.. count me stupid or probably it's just because of our second kid was born on monday and sleep has become somewhat of rare thing to happen. I can't find any section 2... and how does the part number help me any further? With this number I could only approach TI directly, or does it give a clue on how that cable or connector is called?

Here's picture of the serial.

tiser.jpg

I'll be really happy for further help.

cheers,

I've gone hunting all over, and there isn't a named description of the connector, other than round-pin Type U connector, which doesn't seen to show up anywhere else except in that document. What you could do is replace the connector there with an IEC 320 C14 socket (like the ones that were used in the later versions of the 745). Then you just get a standard IEC 320 C13 cable and connect it to the device and you're done. Looking at the pins, they are in the same positions as the IEC 320 C14, but using round pins and an oval socket. You'd just have to verify where the three pins go power-wise, and the maintanence manual should show that somewhere in the schematics. I did see one plug of this type for sale online (it was listed as being used for older vacuum tube equipment, but it was already sold when I found the reference).

Section 2 refers to the pages numbered 2-XX in the manual.

• 3 months later...

Do people collect these silent 700/745/750 terminals? I just picked up a very small silent 700 because it was $25 from an estate sale. I already had a larger one with the acoustic coupler built-in.

There was a big old 700 in a locking case that is probably still there, in the Boston area. If anyone wants more details I'd be glad to pass the info on.