IGNORED

Do Atari 5200 controllers not auto center?

goldenpp72

I figured i'd ask here, I actually finished installing the kits today, and from what I can see all looks good, and the buttons do feel great indeed. The only thing I was confused about by the instructions, it mentions using Missile Command to ensure the crosshair starts center, but that is never the case for me, but the controller seems to work fine otherwise. Does anyone have a more dumbed down version of what the concern is there?

Like I said the games I tried seem to work good, I played missile command, Ms. Pac-Man, Mario and Dig Dug with no issues aside adjusting for the auto center thing.

The concern is that a very few games may have control issues if the console isn't well calibrated. Popeye springs to mind as being especially problematic. But if it isn't giving you problems, I wouldn't worry much about it.

• 3 weeks later...

No they have no true auto center. If the boot is in good shape they kindof. Do. If the boot is worn it can be wonky and if its missing altogether it wont at all. The boots are round though so if it bothers you you can rotate it a bit and maybe help some. (People play a lot of one game and it may be worn inappropriately for the games you've selected)

Oh depending on the game you could track down a trackball. Just be warned its almost as big as the console itself lol.

Edited by Video