IGNORED

Price Check: 5200 Console

hizzy

Hi,

I came across a very nice 5200 console in my town recently. It's very clean. The metal band across the console has no marks on it. It comes with 5 games: Mario bros, Pac-man, Congo Bongo, Super Breakout, Space invaders. The seller wants 250.00 us dollars. Is that crazy? What does a 5200 sell for typically? I have never seen one in a store. Are they especially rare?

Thanks!

Perfect condition, with two working controllers, and CIB...all games CIB and in perfect condition...maybe $200.

Bare console, broken (or no) controllers, bare games...maybe $100.

Shipping the 5200 isn't cheap. So I'd be willing to pay more locally than on the web.

• Like 1

No way a used 5200 system from sum guy can be "perfect". Talking about the controllers here at the very least. Assume they are bad or will be shortly after you start playing. In MOST cases, super clean 5200 systems look that way because they broke long ago. ;)

That said, I wouldn't pay much more than $50 for said system, knowing you're going to need to refurbish the controllers which is going to run you about $100 from Best.

Seller thinks $50 is too cheap? That's okay, he's doing you a favor by passing. Pick yourself up an Atari 8-bit computer instead and laugh all the way to the bank as you discover a much better library and much more reliable system for a lot less. A LOT less.

What's an Atari 5200 got to do with an Atari 8-bit computer you ask? Look it up :grin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the OP's location, the 5200 was quite rare. I do not believe any french language packaging was ever even made to sell them in Quebec. Most were sold through importers near the US border and I have heard of Robinson's carrying them for a bit.

That matters much less in this day and age where you can find just about anything online.

Edited by zylon

What would a completely restored 2 port 5200 with AV mod and restored working controllers be worth?

Maybe $150 if the controllers are restored with gold parts from Best. You might get $300 on eBay for it from someone who can't solder.

Coming from the Atari 8-bit computer side, a lot of us aren't very timid when it comes to modding our gear. The 5200 is basically a 400 with no keyboard or PIA. I own a 5200 but it's more of a novelty, the 48K 400 and heavily upgraded/modded 800XL see much more use.

Hi,

I came across a very nice 5200 console in my town recently. It's very clean. The metal band across the console has no marks on it. It comes with 5 games: Mario bros, Pac-man, Congo Bongo, Super Breakout, Space invaders. The seller wants 250.00 us dollars. Is that crazy? What does a 5200 sell for typically? I have never seen one in a store. Are they especially rare?

Thanks!

I'm selling a s-video / composite video modded unit for $120 + shipping - controllers don't work, console works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Just today, I spotted a 2-port with 12 common games and two allegedly-working controllers for $150 in a local shop, though it may have been missing the dust cover. There's another one a half hour north of the city for the same price but no games, and I don't know how many controllers.

But I got a 4-port (minus switchbox) for $20 at a store across town (to be fair, they were giving me a "good neighbor" price, so it'd probably sticker for a little more). I saw one a few months ago at yet another shop for $80, but only spotted it behind the counter, so couldn't get a good look. Seems like right now, prices can vary here in New England.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks!

I live in Canada and I recently won an auction for a almost complete in box 5200 for $13.00. It was missing the original cardboard boxes that hold the controllers. Shipping was about $80.00