IGNORED

Retro-Bit Generations

Yeah I heard something about this. So far I heard just a specific lineup of games built in but not sure exactly which platform is it emulating, maybe if really cheap but then there is nothing on it I am sure I own be able to play just as well elsewhere. We will see. I am not seeing it provide anything over my Retrobit SuperRetroTrio and 3 Everdrives yet lol

I like that it has the 6 Button Genny model controllers... beyond that, yet ANOTHER emulation box...

Competition IS a good thing, theoretically it should lead to "perfect" emulation and then some with ehnancements, by one company trying to out do another, but is this ACTUALLY happening?

I ask, not sarcastically, because I've never used one and aren't really interested in them, but I CAN see their purpose, and no doubt one day these will be our best option for classic gaming..

I don't see any cartridge slots, so my speculation is that it's an Android-based emulation box. In other words, it's just like the RetroN 5 and Retro Freak, just without any cartridge capabilities. The included Capcom games (others pending) are intriguing, because it's like it's Capcom's B-level line-up, i.e., not their A-level games like Street Fighter II, etc.

Perhaps this unit will compete on price? Say $99 with two controllers and SD card support (I don't they could get much lower than $89, but who knows?).

I've asked some friends to check it out at E3 and see if they can report back any info they gleamed. Right now, that's the only way retro-bit is making info available.

I can confirmed we are involved in this project :D Should open the doors to homebrew developers. There a couple other large developers besides Capcom and Data East involved now. Should be the Atgames killer :D

I was instrumental about HDMI out and Regular sized 6 button Wired Genesis controllers. The Atgames ones suck.

I like that it has the 6 Button Genny model controllers... beyond that, yet ANOTHER emulation box...

Competition IS a good thing, theoretically it should lead to "perfect" emulation and then some with ehnancements, by one company trying to out do another, but is this ACTUALLY happening?

I ask, not sarcastically, because I've never used one and aren't really interested in them, but I CAN see their purpose, and no doubt one day these will be our best option for classic gaming..

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 1

Is there a SD card slot for extra storage?

That really seems to be the Million Dollar Question. Latest blurb on FB says it's an ARCADE emulator, with 60 built-in games. That's all well and good, but that means interest will be limited to how appealing those games are (I doubt many of my old favorites are on the list). But, if you can add to that with an SD card, and ESPECIALLY if you can add emulators for other systems, this is suddenly really appealing.

• Like 2

From http://retro-bit.com/generations.html :

Bring the power and entertainment of an arcade to your living room with the Retro-Bit GenerationsPlug and play console. Since 2007, Retro-Bit® has been at the forefront of the retro gaming world, introducing innovative and exciting platforms to re-experience a treasured vintage gaming era.

Continuing with that tradition, Retro-Bit Generations is packed with 60 retro titles from world-renowned pioneer videogame developers that brought you the Double Dragon series, Ghost N Goblins, Knights of the Round, Ring King and more!

Revisit and replay these classics on your own or with a friend with two retro-style six button controllers, for an authentic retro re-experience. Designed with a sleek user-friendly interface and an HDMI port, Retro-Bit Generations brings a new look for the old school gamer and delivers fun for all ages!

Retro_Gen_giftbox_3.jpg

Features
  • 60 Classic Games
  • Intuitive User-interface
  • Two Retro-style Six Button Controllers
  • Compact design
  • HDMI and AV outputs
Current Game Titles
  • Ring King
  • Captain Commando
  • Commando
  • Exed Exes
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • Ghost N’ Goblins
  • GunSmoke
  • Higemaru
  • Knights of the Round
  • Mercs
  • Side Arms
  • SonSon
  • Varth: Operation Thunderstorms]
AND MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED

That really seems to be the Million Dollar Question. Latest blurb on FB says it's an ARCADE emulator, with 60 built-in games. That's all well and good, but that means interest will be limited to how appealing those games are (I doubt many of my old favorites are on the list). But, if you can add to that with an SD card, and ESPECIALLY if you can add emulators for other systems, this is suddenly really appealing.

Plus the obvious questions of whether it's any good. I will keep an eye on this, thanks for posting about it.

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to see its price, I recently purchased the Capcom Jakks TV Plug and Play (1942 + Ghost'nGoblins + Commando) for ~30US$ used and without battery cover (and it's PAL only) so this thing is right up my alley depending on price (better be way lower than 100US$, way lower than that).

HW speculation:

Soc RPi zero class (BCM2385) OR C.H.I.P. class (AllWinner R8) + some SW emu stack.

[that would keep the cost really down, to be fair there are also dual core and quad core ARM A7 that are very cheap these days]

Anyone else cares to take a guess?

I'm not quite sure those specific chips, but it's probably a safe bet it's something similar. It also explains why it's using USB ports for the controllers and there are no legacy connectors or cartridge ports (at least based on the photos). With all of that in mind, as well as the little bit of info we already know in this thread, including the two wired USB controllers, they can probably get this out at a list price of $59.99, which would be quite agreeable. If they can somehow get it even cheaper, even better, but a challenge of course is having to pay for the license fees for the 60 games.

I'm also thinking this won't have SD card support due to needing a controlled environment, but if it does, again, even better (and more likely that the price would be at least $59.99).