IGNORED

Retro-Bit Generations

HDMI at solid 60fps with proper sound and I'm in. In my experiemce cheap MAME boxes compromise on performance; but it's 2016 and cheap fast hardware exists.

So true, the BCM2837 (64bit ARM of the RPi3), the AllWinner A64 (64 bit ARM of the PineA64) and the AmLogic S905 (64bit ARM of the Odroid C2) are all well below 20US$ a chip.

So HW is aplenty, I will really be curious on the first tear down ;-)

Hyperkin showed their Gameboy thingy, as well as a giant Xbone controller styled after the Duke from the original Xbox.

Off topic, but could you post a link to that duke pad? I've wished for a modern version of that controller.

And I agree with others. As a nes/ snes / gen box, who cares. But if it's indeed an arcade emulator, and it's not hard to put rom sets in it that actually work (unlike mame which is a pita) if buy this, straight up. Especially considering USB ports nearly guarantee other controller / joystick support.

• Like 1

Companies with IP to "protect". Companies that want a console to stay limited for fear of it not becoming obsolete or running a game that [the company] will release at a later date. They wouldn't want the system to become too versatile and limit future sales.

It's like the early Motorola cellphones, the first ones to play music "ipod style". The ones that limited you to 50 or 100 tracks. The ones where music was required to be stored inside the phone, encrypted and locked, not on the microSD card, because of irrational fears of the record companies thinking mass duplication would ensue.

Why don't any ATgames flashbacks have SD slots?

What companies? These little soac systems and handhelds use them all the time.

These little multi-game systems and similar are all made by small no-name companies that have nothing at stake. In fact they want SD slots and want you to get romz from the internet. Nintendon't! Sony is phony.

I don't think Retro Bit has much to fear. If hackers threw the door wide open in fact, it likely would just up their sales a bit.

And since this is aimed at the casual marketplace rather than the small minority of folks like ourselves, the chance that you could emulate next year's game lineup on last year's model isn't likely to cause much harm since it will only be people like us that will know about it or attempt it. And there's a good chance we only bought the initial model since its capabilities could be unofficially expanded to provide far more functionality than they envisioned.

At worst I don't see how they'd lose anything by going the SD route. They perhaps might even sell a few systems that they otherwise wouldn't of if it ends up hacked apart to expand its capabilities far beyond Retro Bit's vision for the system.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I can confirmed we are involved in this project :D Should open the doors to homebrew developers. There a couple other large developers besides Capcom and Data East involved now. Should be the Atgames killer :D

I was instrumental about HDMI out and Regular sized 6 button Wired Genesis controllers. The Atgames ones suck.

Will we be able to use our own usb controllers/arcade sticks? If so, this would be a fun system to own.

Edited by Noah98

Off topic, but could you post a link to that duke pad? I've wished for a modern version of that controller.

I don't know how to link to a Facebook post from my phone, but if you do a search for "Hyperkin Brute" you'll see it in the Hyperkin Facebook feed from E3.

As for Atgames and SD cards, they've had a slot in their Sega Genesis handheld for almost ten years now. I think it was Sega that ok'ed that. It makes the otherwise cheapo device a lot more interesting.

• Like 2

I don't know how to link to a Facebook post from my phone, but if you do a search for "Hyperkin Brute" you'll see it in the Hyperkin Facebook feed from E3.

As for Atgames and SD cards, they've had a slot in their Sega Genesis handheld for almost ten years now. I think it was Sega that ok'ed that. It makes the otherwise cheapo device a lot more interesting.

Thank you, I found it thanks to your help with the name of the controller.

To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed. It doesn't remind me much of the duke, but of the cheapo Thrustmaster 360 pads. Eh... I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a Hyperkin product.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. It would be nice if Microsoft made an exact replica that worked on XB1 and PC. I'd buy that in a heartbeat for virtually any price they set, within reason.

Seems like you could build an adapter cable for the xb Duke. If I recall, they're just USB with a proprietary connector. If anyone has thought about doing such a thing, they'd be on Atari Age.

Software/drivers would need to be sorted out but you could start with this https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Controller-PC-USB-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000RT2868

Seems like you could build an adapter cable for the xb Duke. If I recall, they're just USB with a proprietary connector. If anyone has thought about doing such a thing, they'd be on Atari Age.

Software/drivers would need to be sorted out but you could start with this https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Controller-PC-USB-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000RT2868

I've done it. Messily, but I've done it. The wiring schematic/instructions are out there on slicing up the break-away cord and connecting the proper wires of any ol'USB cable.

• Like 1

What companies? These little soac systems and handhelds use them all the time.

On top of what Keatah said I could add:

- not using an SD card makes it cheaper

- retailers are more likely to stock it

- the people licensing the IP might forbid it (Atari apparently does this)

Same reason why a machine with cartridges get popular, they will allow retailers to sell a new model later and also sell old stock of carts.

None of this is relevant for the end user but that's what we get in exchange for having a nice "appliance" to use without much hassle. At the price point maybe you could rig a RPi3 with emulators but it won't feel the same; and other options (FPGA) will be more expensive unless mass produced.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

On top of what Keatah said I could add:

- not using an SD card makes it cheaper

- retailers are more likely to stock it

- the people licensing the IP might forbid it (Atari apparently does this)

Same reason why a machine with cartridges get popular, they will allow retailers to sell a new model later and also sell old stock of carts.

None of this is relevant for the end user but that's what we get in exchange for having a nice "appliance" to use without much hassle. At the price point maybe you could rig a RPi3 with emulators but it won't feel the same; and other options (FPGA) will be more expensive unless mass produced.

I guess my point is I've seen those "sega" (at games) consoles and handhelds all the time with preloaded capcom and sega games. And each and every one had an ad card port.

Money talks. It's not like capcom loses out of anything. They're just preloaded roms which literally cost them nothing. They make no money off people buying used carts. And regardless of cheapo systems like this, they'll sell digital copies of their classic games on next gen systems all day long even if these soac boxes are stacked to the ceiling at your local Walmart, because these systems are NOT how most gamers want to play.

Edited by MotoRacer

There's an unobstructed shot of this box on Retrobit's Twitter. https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/744033408758743044

I'm going to watch that for more updates, it sounds like they'll say more this week now that e3 is over. A cheap arcade collection of Capcom and Data East games would be fun. I'm glad to see some hdmi support on these inexpensive toys.

Right now I feel like digging out my PSP and its Capcom collections.

At this year's annual tech-bash, a local block party of my creation, is where you bring your old tech products and either set up an appointment for me to repair them in my shop OR try and get drunk and destroy them in the most creative way possible. And in return for your antics you get a modern day version of what you bought with you. It's fun! It's stupid! Everyone has a good time!

This year I purchased a stack of AtGames Flashbacks as door prizes. They were crazy popular so we did it again. Maybe next year I'll this Retro-Bit Generations. Or perhaps a mix-up.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see some hdmi support on these inexpensive toys.

I believe HDMI + RCA Composite combination results in the most versatile combination. This combo covers the oldest TV sets all the way through what is on the shelf at big box today. And anywhere in between, too, with with help of a cheap converter or RF modulator if you're really old-school.

• Like 1

And regardless of cheapo systems like this, they'll sell digital copies of their classic games on next gen systems all day long even if these soac boxes are stacked to the ceiling at your local Walmart, because these systems are NOT how most gamers want to play.

Having been declared a faux gamer/enthusiast because emulation :? is my go to platform.. Exactly how do gamers want to play? What makes these such a turn-off? Because I believe these are great $50 introductions to classic gaming. And are popular giveaways at my aforementioned tech party. They're frill-free and take but a moment to set-up. And come with a reasonable selection of games.

I don't think they can bring back the slower pace of gaming that happened in the 1970's on the VCS with its first or second catalog. Nothing can in today's whirlwind artificially sped-up gaming environment. Nor can they bring back the arcade experience.

I think for even an inkling of that to happen they'd have to be introduced to unsullied kids. Kids that aren't spoiled by the rapid pace of twitch-n-touch, microtransaction-filled, smartphone gaming.

Uhm, whatever..

• Like 3

We already know it had a USB port (two actually). Anything that can be accomplished through an SD slot can be done by USB. The only question to me is if the memory is designed to be updated, and how open to hobbyists it is. PikoInteractove suggested that optimism on that front is warranted.

Having been declared a faux gamer/enthusiast because emulation :? is my go to platform.. Exactly how do gamers want to play? What makes these such a turn-off? Because I believe these are great $50 introductions to classic gaming. And are popular giveaways at my aforementioned tech party. They're frill-free and take but a moment to set-up. And come with a reasonable selection of games.

I don't think they can bring back the slower pace of gaming that happened in the 1970's on the VCS with its first or second catalog. Nothing can in today's whirlwind artificially sped-up gaming environment. Nor can they bring back the arcade experience.

I think for even an inkling of that to happen they'd have to be introduced to unsullied kids. Kids that aren't spoiled by the rapid pace of twitch-n-touch, microtransaction-filled, smartphone gaming.

Uhm, whatever..

When did I say they weren't good introductions to classic games?

I never said they didn't have a purchase. Heck, I never said I wasn't interested in getting one. I simply said that most people, if they have a PS4 or XB1 or Wii U, would rather buy those classic games on those devices instead of getting a cheapo box like this.

That's not my preference, that's just me stating facts. If these boxes were so popular, Virtual Console wouldn't be so popular if emulation was everyone's preferred method.

We already know it had a USB port (two actually). Anything that can be accomplished through an SD slot can be done by USB. The only question to me is if the memory is designed to be updated, and how open to hobbyists it is. PikoInteractove suggested that optimism on that front is warranted.

If it's only meant for controller communication, could it really do much? I only ask, because I know that some systems with USB ports, say the Wii Mini's one, don't support any type of communication that would enable hacking.