IGNORED

Retro-Bit Generations

I worry that the market isn't big enough for SIX big-name retro remake consoles. It's neat to see plug-n-play toys coming back to stores, though!

Let's face it. There's the 800-pound gorilla in Nintendo and everyone else. I think the "everyone else" is more or less going for the same market just like always, while the Nintendo offering stands all on its own (although I do think it will help bring more recognition to the category in general, which is a positive for the "competition").

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And Capcom.

Found a post on Instagram suggesting it was an NES/SNES/Gen emubox... But nothing to validate that.

according to the Retro-bit Website, this is an Arcade emulation system, essentially, the games listed in the systems are the original Arcade translations, minus the "insert Coin" obviously. A plug and play system that contains 60 arcade originals, supposedly exactly as they were in the arcades, and brings them in your home, for $60. interesting.

• Like 1

Several of the confirmed titles never even saw release in the arcade. So at the very least it's a mixture of arcade and home titles.

Yeah, it's definitely some type of mix, otherwise Piko wouldn't be involved. It's also good that they're pushing to have 100 games on the thing as they'll need to do bold moves like that to stand out in an increasingly crowded field.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know a lot of these names. Are they "new" just for this machine?

post-2410-0-09658500-1472847674_thumb.jpg

Edit: I just did some searching, and I see that these are all vintage games, just more Japanese than the stuff I know well. Can anyone speak to how popular this lineup is expected to be over there? I think it will have an uphill climb in the West unless that SD card slot supports adding more stuff.

attachicon.gifRBG_Games.jpg

Edit: I just did some searching, and I see that these are all vintage games, just more Japanese than the stuff I know well. Can anyone speak to how popular this lineup is expected to be over there? I think it will have an uphill climb in the West unless that SD card slot supports adding more stuff.

Yeah I am in no way interested in this based on that list...

A lot of it is unknown to me. And at least two are just modern garbage, presumably free or very cheap to include and an easy way to bump the game count (Creepy Bird and 2048).

I wish it was clearer on what is what. A few have notations on what platform it's on. But the vast majority don't, including not just games like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts where there's only one possibility.

The more arcade games, the better. And the more arcade games here that weren't on past compilations like the Capcom Classics Collection line, even better. But if the vast majority are home games, my interest level is lukewarm at best. So as it stands, I think I'll have to pass. And I bet all the Jaleco and Irem games which I don't have much if any representation of in various compilations and where this could've hit a home run for me, are their home versions like Big Run.

Sad to not see Cisco Heat here. I always liked the Jaleco racers, so I had been hoping to see that one make it to a compilation for years. When I saw Jaleco games, I was crossing my fingers since I'd of bought it just for that one or the arcade version of Big Run...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

^ I came to ask a question similar to this.

How do they plan to play these games? It's going to be emulation but it's obviously not some stand alone clone hardware. I hope there's no issues here because I want to review this but there is no way I'm even going to consider this console if it has behind the scenes fuckery like what the Retron 5 had.

• 4 weeks later...

attachicon.gifRBG_Games.jpg

The game list is probably as attractive here as Japan for the most part

Actually has quite a few good games listed

But Its obviously targeting Central America and Southern America where a lot of 80's-90's Arcade machines from the US and Japan went to, plus there is a huge following for Capcom and Data East down there

I get the feeling that RetroBit had this awesome package tied up, they announced it at E3, and a few weeks later, the NES mini drops and suddenly they're scrambling to make this thing look even half as cool.

RBG is technically the more versitile system, but the NES has a stronger library on a per-title basis (which is why they're now going for quantity). It's presumed that you can side-load more games onto it, but that hasn't been confirmed. If RetroBit hasn't committed to adding the feature, it's no longer optional.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They won't advertise side loading. It'll probably work though just as 'file system access'.
It looks good. For a gift, it looks good. If your technically inclined and already running emu's, you need to remove yourself from that culture and evaluate it. This looks like a very good thing.

I get the feeling that RetroBit had this awesome package tied up, they announced it at E3, and a few weeks later, the NES mini drops and suddenly they're scrambling to make this thing look even half as cool.

RBG is technically the more versitile system, but the NES has a stronger library on a per-title basis (which is why they're now going for quantity). It's presumed that you can side-load more games onto it, but that hasn't been confirmed. If RetroBit hasn't committed to adding the feature, it's no longer optional.

• 1 month later...

The Retro-Bit Generations is out now, and important findings first: based on footage of Super R-Type and Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts in this YouTube video, it runs SNES games too fast (or at the very least, it does for these two). Moreover, as shown in the SGnG footage, it doesn't maintain that speed consistently. AtGames' Genesis systems may have their audio channels out of tune with each other, but at least the games are not substantially the wrong speed!

I'm in the midst of trying to get as corrected a list of the system's games as possible right now and will post it here later, seeking further corrections and publisher/developer data. Was going to post it now, but it's taking too damned long for these 104 titles. Would have been nice for Retro-Bit not to have screwed up so many of the game names.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Shouldn't that only result in a 20% speed increase? This seems to be more like a 50% increase; to get to the 6-second mark in Super R-Type's opening cinematic, it took 4 seconds.

On to the games list! After finding a blurry video (from the same YouTube user as above) that showed the main menu's full list of games, I spent a few hours (yeah . . .) cleaning it up to post later on my plug-n-play website. The list that Retro-Bit published isn't in the menu order (mostly because it uses a human meaning of the word "alphabetical," as opposed to the machine sorting in the menu), and despite also not matching the menu for certain titles, the published list has several titles written incorrectly as well. Thus my bothersome need for accuracy made me try to get as many of the 104 games correct as possible. Here's what I have:

10-yard fight -- irem

1942 -- capcom

1943 -- capcom

alfred chicken (nes; listed as: alfred chicken i) -- mindscape/twilight

alfred chicken (gb) -- mindscape/twilight

anguna: warriors of virtue -- piko interactive

apocalypse ii -- piko interactive

argus -- jaleco

astrohawk -- piko interactive

astyanax -- jaleco

avenging spirit -- jaleco

banishing racer -- jaleco

bases loaded (nes; listed as: bases loaded i) -- jaleco

bases loaded ii: second season -- jaleco

bases loaded (gb) -- jaleco

bashi bazook: morphoid masher -- jaleco

battle squadron -- electronic arts/innerprise

battle unit zeoth -- jaleco

big run -- jaleco

bionic commando -- capcom

brawl brothers -- jaleco

broken circle -- piko interactive

captain commando -- capcom

city connection -- jaleco

commando -- capcom

corn buster -- piko interactive

creepy bird -- piko interactive

dorke & ymp (listed as: dorke n ymp) -- piko interactive

the escape from atlantis -- color dreams

esper boukentai (listed as: esper corps) -- jaleco

exed exes -- capcom

exerion -- jaleco

field combat -- jaleco

forgotten worlds -- capcom

formation z -- jaleco

fortified zone -- jaleco

free fall -- color dreams

gadget twins -- gametek/imagitec

ghouls 'n ghosts -- capcom

gun.smoke -- capcom

hammerin' harry -- irem

hero shuugou!! pinball party (listed as: hero pinball party) -- jaleco

pirate ship higemaru (listed as: higemaru) -- capcom

holy diver -- irem

hoops -- jaleco

ikari no yousai 2 -- jaleco

image fight -- irem

jim power: the lost dimension -- piko interactive

moero!! juudou warriors (listed as: juudou warriors) -- jaleco

kickle cubicle -- irem

kaiketsu yanchamaru 2: karakuri land (listed as: kid niki radical ninja 2) -- irem

kid niki: radical ninja -- irem

knights of the round -- capcom

kung-fu master 2 -- irem

lan master -- shiru

lawn mower -- shiru

legend e

major title (listed as: major title golf) -- irem

maru's mission -- jaleco

mazezam challenge (listed as: mazezam) -- piko interactive

mercs -- capcom

youkai club (listed as: monster club) -- jaleco

mr. bloopy saves the world (listed as: mr bloopy) -- piko interactive

night defender 2 -- piko interactive

night defender -- piko interactive

jajamaru no daibouken (listed as: ninja jajamaru no daibouken) -- jaleco

ninja jajamaru-kun -- jaleco

onslaught -- ballistic/nextgrand

operation logic bomb -- jaleco

pinball quest -- jaleco

pizza pop! -- jaleco

plasma ball -- jaleco

quest forge: by order of kings (listed as: questforge) -- piko interactive

r-type iii: the third lightning (listed as: r type 3) -- irem

ring king -- data east

rival turf! -- jaleco

rockfall -- piko interactive

rocky rodent -- irem

rod-land (listed as: rod land) -- jaleco

rod-land (gb; listed as: rodland (sic) gb) -- jaleco

rushing beat shura -- jaleco

skipp and friends: unexpected journey (listed as: skip (sic) and friends) -- piko interactive

smart mouse -- piko interactive

snakky -- piko interactive/shiru

soldam -- jaleco

sonson -- capcom

sumo slam -- piko interactive

super alfred chicken -- mindscape/twilight

super earth defense force -- jaleco

super ghouls 'n ghosts -- capcom

super 3d noah's ark (listed as: super noahs (sic) ark) -- wisdom tree

super r-type -- irem

sword of sodan -- electronic arts/innerprise

the black bass -- hot b

the blue marlin -- hot b

the ignition factor -- jaleco

super thor quest (listed as: thors (sic) quest) -- piko interactive

totally rad -- jaleco

varth: operation thunderstorm -- capcom

world reborn -- piko interactive

clan of heroes: generals of the yang family (listed as: yang warrior family) -- piko interactive

zippy race -- irem

zooming secretary (listed as: zooming secretaries) -- shiru

Please let me know if anything is outright incorrect. For example, I'm assuming "Monster Club" is actually a game by Jaleco called "Youkai Club," since I found 0 video games in history called "Monster Club." Obviously, because I don't have the system and only worked off a list, I don't know what the games really are. Also, I have no companies listed for 2048 (because I don't know which port it is--it can't be the original homebrew developer's version) and Legend E. Maybe the latter is the Genesis/Mega Drive Legend that Piko Interactive distributes? But then what's the 'E' for? Another curiosity, why is there only one Data East title if Data East is one of the four "big" companies represented (though some of the Jaleco and Irem titles seem to have had publication by Data East)?

Lastly, if someone who knows for sure would append platforms to the titles in the list, that would really be helpful for future parties interested in the system. Oh, one more thing: I found Mr. Bloopy Saves the World spelled as both "Bloopy" (in pre-publication video footage) and "Bloppy" (on Piko Interactive's box art). Which one is it in the title screen of this system's copy of the game?

onmode-ky

• Like 2

What an incredible list of ...stuff. I can't decide whether they're "B-sides," or "deep cuts." I'm always complaining that the same games keep getting rereleased over and over again. Perhaps I should reexamine my priorities.

Seeing a lot of games on that list (even if they're NES/MD/SNES versions) makes me want one of these more than before...And thanks so much for the list onmode-ky!

"B-Sides" or "Deep Cuts" may be Best thing I've read today! :D

But I do still wish the controller inputs were db9s so I could easily use some other controllers...

(Or maybe it will be easy...)

If a lot of those Jaleco games were arcade versions, I'd be interested.

I don't recognize many of the Jaleco games in that list, but that's one 80's arcade publisher that has gone ignored in the compilation era outside of some of their NES properties, and I fondly remember a few of their arcade classics.

Edited by Atariboy