IGNORED

Adventure 80 col?

dphirschler

There are two things that need to collide here:

ScottFree, a C implementation of Scott Adam's Adventure interpreter, that is open source, GPL.

And GCC for the TI... :)

It looks like you'd just have to re-write the disk access and the screen handling. Maybe add a scroll back feature in AMS if available, and or larger database support.

:) I was thinking 80 column adventure would be nice to have just a couple days ago.

-M@

What about using the lower 8K for the program. And keep the upper 24K free for the SA database. I think the original SA-DB limit was about 14K.

I have a partial GPL disassembly of the Adventure module somewhere on one of my PC systems.

Edited by Torrax

If a new 80 column capable version were done, that'd be cool. If it were done with 40 column support still working, more's the better. If one could convert between the TI format and the "standard" format, better still. :) I have this cart and it's just sitting here because I have no cassettes and haven't gone looking for cassette files.

• 5 years later...

I have always found the original 40 column format to work quite well because unlike the Infocom games, descriptive text tended to be kept pretty short.

That said, Thom Cherryhomes adapted the ScottFree interpreter to the Coleco Adam which has a similar VDP to the TI, but using the bitmap mode to create a 51 column display, Very effective although the text rendering is a tad slow. Here's a link to the project: http://smartbasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174

168175754_AdventureAdam.thumb.jpg.718aea4e1157e6db315cedbfc76f9102.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 7:41 AM, Vorticon said:

It looks like you were pretty much there! Looking forward to seeing the end product.

I posted a binary cart image for "Adventure 80" in the dev topic.  Work is keeping me quite busy this month, so rather than let it languish another 6 months, I put it out there for people to 'test'.  :)

image.png.4410cc04d776e7f054c0f1ac4d756424.png

• Like 4