IGNORED

VBXE 2.1 and Rapidus in 1200XL

The Antic adaptor?

I think there should be a direct relationship between the DIP and pin headers on the adaptor board so if you orient the VBXE board the opposite way as well then in theory everything should end up corrected.

As for how everything fits - if the mounting point ends up lower down you might run into clearance issues with the keyboard.

Of course don't forget, if you do put the adaptor such that it's 180 degrees rotated then the same should also apply to Antic when you replace it in the board.

Edited by Rybags

You really need an adapter for the CPU socket. Beetle made a really nice super-low profile adapter from veroboard. The idea is to displace the CPU socket about 5mm back so Rapidus clears the rear of the VBXE (assuming the VBXE is installed with the XE orientation and using an XE Antic adapter).

I made a similar CPU adapter but it was a bit taller (I lacked Beetle's patient ability to make adapter legs from cut off resistor legs), but it also throws the socket a bit further back (about three rows, or some 7mm), so everything still fits.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yes! The Antic adaptor! That's what it's called. Me use words.

I don't think the XL adaptor is gonna do it, even if I desolder it, rotate the board and figure out how to orient the Antic chip. Darn.

One of these days I'm going to compile everything I've learned about modding the 1200XL into one document. Maybe it'll help the next poor bastard like me.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...