IGNORED

Atari 5200

Teenretrogamer

Well, you clearly have a 4-port Atari 5200 if it has four controller ports in the front. :-) It's certainly possible that Atari might have put a 4-port console in a 2-port box. And it certainly sounds like someone, perhaps Atari itself, modified your 5200 so that it uses a standard switchbox. That's pretty cool. :-)

I'd be curious if your machine can play Pitfall, Mountain King, and Krazy Shootout (which most 2-port machines have problems with due to changes in the BIOS) or if it can use the 2600 adapter(which most 4-port machines have problems with due to a lack of changes to the cart port.)

• Like 3

Sounds like it was modded. Factory refurb/mod, maybe? Some 4-port owners send their systems to Atari to be "modded" to be compatible with the 2600 adapter (does the serial number have a star or asterisk, btw?); maybe they took this one a step further and performed a power/RF mod? I've never heard of a 4-port that didn't need the auto-switch.

Like others have said, it would be interesting to find out whether this system thinks it's a 2-port (compatible with 2600 adapter but not Pitfall, Mountain King, or K-Razy Shootout) or a 4-port (vice versa).

• Like 1

Does the serial number label list it as an Atari Inc or Atari Corp product?

Wonder if it's a 2-port motherboard stuck in a leftover 4-port case. I totally believe Atari Corp would've done something like that during the 1984-1985 period when they were clearing inventory to raise cash.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yes. The game stays in memory until you power off.

Wait really? So then you would never have the issue of a loose cartridge port that causes games to freeze/hang or whatever when someone (that being me) kicks the table and the vibration loosens the cart a slightest bit??

I'm new to the 5200 as you've seen in my other thread. This impresses me as I remember having an issue with the NES and to a lesser degree the 2600.