IGNORED

What is needed for a 32K RAM upgrade for the TI?

cbmeeks

There is a thread here that allows you to modify your console to put the 32K expansion inside it. I believe it is in the hardware projects of the quarter thread. It is also possible to buy one of many different sidecar expansions with 32K inside. Those are getting harder to find though. There are also several console modifications to add 32K listed on the Mainbyte site. Lastly, there is the option of using a 32K card in the PEB (or taking it a step further and installing a 1MB SAMS board, something that some programs can take advantage of--and for programs that don't recognize the additional space, it functions just like a regular 32K card).

There has been on-and-off discussion of building a new 32K sidecar device, but that one hasn't reached the top of anyone's to-do list yet.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245265-32k-mod/?hl=%2B32k+%2Bupgrade&do=findComment&comment=3384852is a good starting point, but there is alot of information out there. Google is a good friend here. No you can mod just the console and have the ability to play games and program that otherwise, 'back in the day' would have required the 32k card.

That 32K internal mod looks interesting. Has anyone here performed that mod? Was it worth it? I'm not sure I know what the document means when it says it isn't as good as the 16 bit mod. What is it talking about there?

Granted, I haven't read the entire document yet but I will.

Thanks.

That 32K internal mod looks interesting. Has anyone here performed that mod? Was it worth it? I'm not sure I know what the document means when it says it isn't as good as the 16 bit mod. What is it talking about there?

Granted, I haven't read the entire document yet but I will.

Thanks.

Mods that put the memory on the internal 16bit data bus act a bit like 'fast ram' from atari and amiga terms... less wait states, because the 16bit to 8bit mucking about doesn't have to happen.

It provides a measurable performance improvement, thus better.

I've never used it first hand, but I have heard it also comes with quirks. Some software may take advantage of how slow the TI 8 bit memory access is, and misbehave if running faster. I don't think that there is very much of that though, as I recall, the mess emulator emulates the 16bit 32k expansion by default, and I've never seen anything that doesn't work.

Is there anything designed that requires/needs/wants 16bit memory? I've never heard of that either, or it has squeezed it out of the 256 bytes of scratchpad ram when needed. So I don't see a downside to the 8 bit in-console mods either.

As with everything, depends on what you want to do.

-M@

Mods that put the memory on the internal 16bit data bus act a bit like 'fast ram' from atari and amiga terms... less wait states, because the 16bit to 8bit mucking about doesn't have to happen.

It provides a measurable performance improvement, thus better.

I've never used it first hand, but I have heard it also comes with quirks. Some software may take advantage of how slow the TI 8 bit memory access is, and misbehave if running faster. I don't think that there is very much of that though, as I recall, the mess emulator emulates the 16bit 32k expansion by default, and I've never seen anything that doesn't work.

Is there anything designed that requires/needs/wants 16bit memory? I've never heard of that either, or it has squeezed it out of the 256 bytes of scratchpad ram when needed. So I don't see a downside to the 8 bit in-console mods either.

As with everything, depends on what you want to do.

-M@

I'd rather have 8bit ram for program speeds to be normal

Greg

Thanks for the information.

I just may perform that upgrade. I am looking to buy the new 99 Flash ROM too. So between the 32K RAM, the F18a (that I own) and the 99 Flash ROM, my plans are to play some awesome games.

Unfortunately, even though the TI994/a was my first computer, I don't know much about it (I was 9 at the time). For example, I still don't get the difference between ROM and GROM.

• Like 1

I had this 16 bit 32K expansion in my TI console at the end of the 198x before I switched to the Geneve, and it was indeed worth all efforts. It did not have an visible effect in Extended Basic programs, neither in GROM-based cartridges. Some machine language games were affected, but not when they relied on the VDP interrupt. The faster speed was more obvious with productive tools like the Assembler, in FORTH, TurboPasc, C etc.

Users of MAME/MESS may easily test it: Choose "Console 32KiB RAM upgrade (16 bit)", run some programs, and then try the standard 32K expansion card (-peb:slot2 32kmem) with this option turned off.

Many people have performed this mod, including me when I documented it. ;)

There's a hardware project here where a PCB was created for it, which simplifies the install a bit by giving you fewer wires to install:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242260-hardware-project-of-the-calendar-quarter/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3411493

As for 8-bit (standard expansion and this mod) versus 16-bit with wait states removed, I loved my 16-bit RAM mod back in the day, since it did make a noticeable improvement in performance, but I created the 8-bit version to have an easier mod to install. There are a few pieces of software that have trouble with the faster system, so if you do it you'd want to have the switch to restore normal speed. But if you are doing any heavy processing on the console (like compiling software) it's well worth it.

Greg

I think the RAM was installable with or without the wait states (with option to make it switchable).

Many people have performed this mod, including me when I documented it. ;)

There's a hardware project here where a PCB was created for it, which simplifies the install a bit by giving you fewer wires to install:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242260-hardware-project-of-the-calendar-quarter/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3411493

As for 8-bit (standard expansion and this mod) versus 16-bit with wait states removed, I loved my 16-bit RAM mod back in the day, since it did make a noticeable improvement in performance, but I created the 8-bit version to have an easier mod to install. There are a few pieces of software that have trouble with the faster system, so if you do it you'd want to have the switch to restore normal speed. But if you are doing any heavy processing on the console (like compiling software) it's well worth it.

Tursi, is it possible to modify that board a bit to socket one of the existing chips (or use an already socketed chip) to clean up the wiring installation even more and give a place for the board to fit? That already looks like a major improvement over the piggybacked chips, a modding technique I have never been a fan of for reasons that threads about the nanoPEB make all too clear.

Tursi, is it possible to modify that board a bit to socket one of the existing chips (or use an already socketed chip) to clean up the wiring installation even more and give a place for the board to fit? That already looks like a major improvement over the piggybacked chips, a modding technique I have never been a fan of for reasons that threads about the nanoPEB make all too clear.

If you mean socketed chips on the TI PCB... I chose the target points I did to get the minimum number of wires to run, so I don't think so. There's not a lot on the board that is socketed...

Taking a quick look at the board I have open... I see the sound chip, the VDP, the GROMs and the clock generator... that's it. You could collect the 8-bit address bus from any of those but the clock generator, I guess, but you still need to tap most of the address bus.

One thing I heard of back in the day that I always thought was a neat idea was to put the memory expansion on the 90 degree cartridge port adapter. That has all the signals you need except three (top three address lines). It would still take wires, but far fewer.

• Like 3

One thing I heard of back in the day that I always thought was a neat idea was to put the memory expansion on the 90 degree cartridge port adapter. That has all the signals you need except three (top three address lines). It would still take wires, but far fewer.

Oh yeah, I would love to see this worked up. Xmas is a ways off, but I'd do that for the annual giveaway TI. If not, it'll just be an Atarisoft module it instead of the Rasmus 8-N-1.

32K CONSOLES and 32K + SPEECH enabled CONSOLES

Just finished, tested and ready to ship. 2 consoles with 32K SRAM (8 bits wide) implanted. These are silver and black consoles in good condition $50.00 plus shipping. I will warranty these for 30 days and guarantee no DOA.

also just finished 2 consoles with both the 8 bit 32K SRAM installed and the speech mod in the console (silver and black and in good condition.) 32K and speech without a PEB for $70.00 plus shipping (also with a 30 day warranty with the no DOA guarantee.)

These are available both as as a modded console only in a generic cardboard box -OR- as a console with cables, manuals, Styrofoam and 30 year old cardboard. Option #1 is cheapest but not at all sexy. Option #2 will jack the cost up but you will get the box... and Styrofoam etc wrapped in Kraft paper so the whole package arrives in as good a condition as it is now. Please note that there will not be any RF modulators included at any time. I don't have any so I can send you one.

If your interested then shoot me a PM. After this weekend they will go to Ebay..... Oh Noooo, not the capitalists.... Don't let that happen, someone buy these before the devil steps in. shudder, gnash gnash... ;-)....

As always if you want the mod done to your non QI TI then that is available as well for $35.00 (you pay freight both ways) or if you have a surplus of consoles and want a mod done to one without the $35.00 cost then send me 2 non QI TI's and I'll return one modded with 32K ( you pay the shipping here and I'll pay the freight for the return trip.... US Mainland only....)

Happy TIing.......... Marc

• Like 5

If you mean socketed chips on the TI PCB... I chose the target points I did to get the minimum number of wires to run, so I don't think so. There's not a lot on the board that is socketed...

Taking a quick look at the board I have open... I see the sound chip, the VDP, the GROMs and the clock generator... that's it. You could collect the 8-bit address bus from any of those but the clock generator, I guess, but you still need to tap most of the address bus.

If you wanted to do the RAM on the 16 bit bus, I suspect you'd need a few more wires, but that's still very promising. It could also be a good way to add CRU to the QI models as well. Solder those wires if you need them, don't if you don't. Quite interesting.

Questions:

1. How does the RAM upgrade work with the NanoPEB?

2. Does it really just behave like the 32K expansion card in a PEB?

3. Does it ever need to be switched off?

Darryl

you will not be able to run the RAM upgrade in the console in conjunction with the NanoPEB or CF7+, at least not without a power switch put in the circuit to power it off when the Nano of CF7+ is hooked up.

• 1 month later...

32K CONSOLES and 32K + SPEECH enabled CONSOLES

Just finished, tested and ready to ship. 2 consoles with 32K SRAM (8 bits wide) implanted. These are silver and black consoles in good condition $50.00 plus shipping. I will warranty these for 30 days and guarantee no DOA.

also just finished 2 consoles with both the 8 bit 32K SRAM installed and the speech mod in the console (silver and black and in good condition.) 32K and speech without a PEB for $70.00 plus shipping (also with a 30 day warranty with the no DOA guarantee.)

These are available both as as a modded console only in a generic cardboard box -OR- as a console with cables, manuals, Styrofoam and 30 year old cardboard. Option #1 is cheapest but not at all sexy. Option #2 will jack the cost up but you will get the box... and Styrofoam etc wrapped in Kraft paper so the whole package arrives in as good a condition as it is now. Please note that there will not be any RF modulators included at any time. I don't have any so I can send you one.

If your interested then shoot me a PM. After this weekend they will go to Ebay..... Oh Noooo, not the capitalists.... Don't let that happen, someone buy these before the devil steps in. shudder, gnash gnash... ;-)....

As always if you want the mod done to your non QI TI then that is available as well for $35.00 (you pay freight both ways) or if you have a surplus of consoles and want a mod done to one without the $35.00 cost then send me 2 non QI TI's and I'll return one modded with 32K ( you pay the shipping here and I'll pay the freight for the return trip.... US Mainland only....)

Happy TIing.......... Marc

Hi Marc im looking for a ti994a with 32k mod if you still have any?

I have a black and silver ti994a black and silver that im going to try and sell and a box of 40 or more carts. to make the money.

Bruce kb8kac