IGNORED

NX Already Out-Powered Before Release

The only reason i think they may use carts is if NX is actually a mobile Gaming System, a mobile system that power enough to act as a console replacement device

Much hardier to protect disk in the system, prevent skipping, and put in a new disk especially with space and weight concerns

• Like 1

So long as the carts have as much or more capacity than a bluray disc, I can't see that being a problem. (They should have learned by now that limiting the storage capacity is a Very Bad Idea.)

Alas, rumors point to 32 gigs which could be a problem for some 3rd party releases.

I like my wiiu and 3ds. I have an Xbox one as well. I do wish there was more 3rd party but in the same regard the only game I have purchased for the xb1 that didn't come with the system is star wars battlefront. I think graphics are over rated and sometimes online play sucks for Xbox there are a shit ton of tools online....

I am worried about the NX though....

If it's a hybrid carts or download makes the most sense. Otherwise it isn't very hybridy. Certainly won't be discs on a portable.

NX is a console and a handheld in one system.

So, a CD drive is possible.

Unless NX is a handheld can hook to the tv.

We don't know this. It's only speculation at this point based off rumors and anecdotal evidence.

Right. It could very well be a console with a co-dependent handheld component. There was even talk from Nintendo themselves that only one of the components would be released in March; that's almost certainly the console portion. If you're replacing both Wii U and 3DS with a single platform, it probably does need both components to it, and there's probably no practical way to do it with a pure handheld (that also plugs into a TV).

The Wii made me, an Atari nerd first and foremost, into a huge Nintendo fan because of the motion controls, and later, the Wii Fit board. I play tennis, soccer, hockey, golf, and run out there in the world and being active while playing a game makes it a lot more fun for me.

When I finally got a console as a kid, it was an Atari (5200). I played some NES back then but never really got into anything other than Ice Hockey. I bought a Genesis for the sports games (NHL '94), and Playstation for Gran Turismo and more sports games (NHL2K*).

I borrowed a Wii from a friend who was not using it back when they were brand-new and hard to get. For months I played nothing but Wii Sports on it. When I finally bought my own, I kept playing Wii Sports until I bought Mario Kart. That was like a dream combination--active motion controls in a racing game! A long way from Pole Position. Add online and I was hooked!

When I started playing Mario Kart Wii, I had kind of forgotten all about the Nintendo universe. In general didn't know a lot of the backstories of the more minor characters. I had never played a Super Mario other than the first one and Super Mario Land on the Gameboy. I had no idea who Waluigi was. I didn't really care, I just liked racing. When my wife got bored watching me play MK Wii, I bought Animal Crossing so we could play that together because she had mentioned it "looked cute." What happened right around then is that I, mid-30s, got sucked back into the world of Nintendo. I somehow got vested in these cartoon characters and their stories, the racers in Mario Kart, the residents and principal characters of Animal Crossing (Wii was my first one), and everyone in Super Mario Galaxy (which was the next game I bought). Oh, and the Pikmin. Sweet, goofy Pikmin.

So the graphics weren't as good as a PS3 or whatever version of XBox. I didn't care then because between all my retro shit and good first-party games, I had plenty to play.

And then we had a kid. I had to sell a TON of stuff to make a gaming room into a nursery and one of the things that helped me do that was hacking the Wii and making it into an emulation station. It's awesome for this. My original Wii is still hooked up to this day, and when I was loading Atari roms onto it I also put a bunch of SNES and N64 games on there. And when my kid was up all night, I played through SMB2 and 3 and bought the lost levels and all of that. Lots of catching up.

I then bought a Wii U for one reason: Mario Kart 8. Oh--and I guess I have to admit also for the TVii feature, which I was (along with two other people) wildly enthusiastic about. I am an idealist and like gimmicks, I guess. My Wii U is the only modern system I own and I've been very happy with it. Netflix on the tablet is great. My kid and I play Yoshi Wooly World together and she loves the Amiibos. She can also use the original Wii to play Dora Saves the Snow Princess and all of that stuff. She's almost four and she ADORES all things Nintendo. She knows all the characters and their stories and always wants to race in MK 8 as Princess Peach. She does Wii Fit yoga with me.

I'll buy the NX when it comes out just because Nintendo has always met my needs and now my kid demands it. I've tried to push her toward the Atari but she is having none of it. "BORING!" The only retro thing she'll touch is my original Gameboy... way to go, big N.

Anyway that was really long-winded (watching soccer while writing this) but I guess the upshot is that lots of people play lots of different kinds of systems for lots of reasons and I like that Nintendo offers something of an alternative. I don't WANT realistic graphics all the time (especially not for freaking Dora) or need the most memory or greatest speed or perfected online experience. I just wanna have fun with my friends and family.

So the NX is outpowered. Big whoop, it'll probably still be pretty cool and my kid will dig it.

Edited by phaxda
  • Like 4

So the NX is outpowered. Big whoop, it'll probably still be pretty cool

That rather sums up my feelings, as well. :)

Nintendo has earned my trust and hasn't disappointed me yet. Their failures have been fodder for forum discussions and letter else, since I've loved each and every Nintendo system that I've owned. Been quite happy just owning a Wii U out of the current three for the past few years, despite Nintendo's trials and tribulations with it from the business side of things.

• Like 2

We don't know this. It's only speculation at this point based off rumors and anecdotal evidence.

Seems like a lot of what is said about the NX is an anecdote, so it is too early to be all doom and gloom.

If it is not quite as powerful as the revised Xbox One and PS4... whether that matters or not will depend on how well Nintendo handles everything else that makes a system successful (successful being a relative term).

Even if the NX is not 4k capable, it should be fine. I have a 4K tv, and I don't think 1080p to 4k is a giant leap that will make other consoles obsolete. Microsoft and Sony are already hinting around that their console revisions might not enhance games any unless the user has a 4k capable tv/virtual realty.

I'm more worried about a gimmick that forces the user into a control style. For example, the wii forced the user to use a wiimote for games like Skyward Sword or even navigating the menu. It would have been nice if they offered the option for traditional controls as well. Yes, that means more programming, particularly for games like Skyward Sword that were made with motion controls in mind, not just tacked on like Twilight Princess. But, there's no question it could have been programmed with two modes. That way the user can decide how to play.

Even with the WiiU, I tend to default to using a pro controller if the game allows it. The WiiU gamepad is fine, but it's still bulky and has poor battery life. A game like Starfox would have easily been much better received if it had a pro controller mode too. That way we could have enjoyed the game both ways.

Nintendo should be innovative, but more flexible. Give me a new console that can run modern games at 1080p, 60 fps, with a slightly modified version of the pro controller, and cartridges and I will buy it at launch. I like the idea of a handheld console hybrid to sort of kill two birds with one stone (replace the aging 3ds and move on from the WiiU). Just make the handheld dockable when at home so the user can choose to use a regular controller, or the handheld component.

Even if the NX is not 4k capable, it should be fine. I have a 4K tv, and I don't think 1080p to 4k is a giant leap that will make other consoles obsolete. Microsoft and Sony are already hinting around that their console revisions might not enhance games any unless the user has a 4k capable tv/virtual realty.

I'm more worried about a gimmick that forces the user into a control style. For example, the wii forced the user to use a wiimote for games like Skyward Sword or even navigating the menu. It would have been nice if they offered the option for traditional controls as well. Yes, that means more programming, particularly for games like Skyward Sword that were made with motion controls in mind, not just tacked on like Twilight Princess. But, there's no question it could have been programmed with two modes. That way the user can decide how to play.

Even with the WiiU, I tend to default to using a pro controller if the game allows it. The WiiU gamepad is fine, but it's still bulky and has poor battery life. A game like Starfox would have easily been much better received if it had a pro controller mode too. That way we could have enjoyed the game both ways.

Nintendo should be innovative, but more flexible. Give me a new console that can run modern games at 1080p, 60 fps, with a slightly modified version of the pro controller, and cartridges and I will buy it at launch. I like the idea of a handheld console hybrid to sort of kill two birds with one stone (replace the aging 3ds and move on from the WiiU). Just make the handheld dockable when at home so the user can choose to use a regular controller, or the handheld component.

Well, the difference between SD and 1080i is much more noticeable at a glance than between 1080i and 4K.

But it's inevitable that we will see side by side comparisons that show a huge difference on some games.

Bad controllers make all games suck, so some form of proven controller should be included in addition to the mind reader 3000 that Nintendo would love to include.

Well, the difference between SD and 1080i is much more noticeable at a glance than between 1080i and 4K.

But it's inevitable that we will see side by side comparisons that show a huge difference on some games.

Bad controllers make all games suck, so some form of proven controller should be included in addition to the mind reader 3000 that Nintendo would love to include.

I agree! The Wii had trouble later on it's life cycle competing with the HD consoles. You could really tell the difference. Now with 4K, not so much.

I agree! The Wii had trouble later on it's life cycle competing with the HD consoles. You could really tell the difference. Now with 4K, not so much.

The one thing that the newer PS4 and Xbox One might be good with his holding at 1080p60 for games with larger drawing distances and without stutter. The current PS4 and Xbox should have been able to do that, but they don't. That will be notable, so I hope the NX can at least hit that mark.

For 4k, it might take above a certain TV side and some scrutiny to tell the difference.

If the rumormill is true and the NX that scheduled to be shown next year is a handheld, it would make sense it would only have the power of a XB1. There is no way Nintendo could cram 2015 PC-specs into a handheld device. The NX wouldn't even need XB1.5/PS4.5 specs to display comparable visuals on a small 480 or 720p screen.

What I'm most excited about is the other component Nintendo hinted at. Entirely conjecture on my part, but I'm imagining if the handheld bit is true, then the other component could be a base-station to plug the NX into that might include additional cpu/gpu hardware to pump visuals out at 1080p.

And when tech for 4K gaming becomes affordable in a few years, Nintendo doesn't need to design a new console. They can release an upgraded base station and people can keep their original NX handheld. That would be a game changer when everyone is bitching about the fast console upgrade cycle this generation.

Edited by teh_lurv

And when tech for 4K gaming becomes affordable in a few years, Nintendo doesn't need to design a new console. They can release an upgraded base station and people can keep their original NX handheld. That would be a game changer when everyone is bitching about the fast console upgrade cycle this generation.

The only thing is, that's no different than something like the Xbox One S and Xbox Scorpio. You're still upgrading components along the way and maintaining your same software library and accessory compatiblity.

In any case, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the console portion of the NX will support 4K video, if not 4K gaming (that's obviously not practical).

I start to think Nintendo will release NX as console and as handheld at the same.

Both will have the same hardware but NX console will play on TV and the handheld can be played with hands.

None of theses NX are compatible with Wii-U and 3DS.

Although they haven't reiterated the point lately, I do believe there's strong indication that the console portion will release in March and the handheld portion later in the year. I guess we'll see.

I'm in no hurry -- I never seem to be ready for new hardware, because the next generation always comes along when I have a teetering stack of unplaced good stuff already.

As for "underpowered," I sure don't care. I'm rediscovering the wonderful GBA SP I stuck in a drawer so long ago. It's fabulous, quite possibly /because/ it's underpowered, not in spite of it. Playing Activision Anthology on it, speaking of "underpowered!"

• Like 2

I think people are going to be caring it's under powered when decent game releases are months apart from one another like they were with the Wii U (if the hardware's not up to snuff with the rest of the competition, I highly doubt major third parties are going to support it).

Of course, that's discounting whatever gimmick they force this system to use, so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Although, unless they give me some kind of magical controller that let's me crap money, then I'm not even sure a new gimmick will help it either.