IGNORED

Bought a 7800 and it only worked once :-/

Dropzone

Hi all

I just bought an Atari 7800 (PAL). The seller claimed that it was hardly ever used and indeed it looks like new. At home I hooked it up to a CRT TV, inserted a Centipede cartridge and turned it on: everything worked perfectly.
I unplugged everything to clean up the desk (consoles stackup upon each other you know how it goes :-) After that I hooked up the Atari again, but now there is no image on my TV. When I do a channel search, nothing is found. The LED on the front of the Atari lights up, I tried several cartridges, but nothing... I am not an electronics guy, so I am a bit at a loss as to what to do...

Any suggestions? Help is more than welcome!

post-43858-0-15355100-1466442417_thumb.jpg

It's possible your TV is unable to detect the video signal generated by the Atari, and only worked previously because you already had channel 3 (most likely) already tuned in.

I'd suggest using some other video device that generates a signal on channel 3 (like a VCR or another game system) to get your TV tuned to that channel, then trying the 7800 again.

Also, double check the position of the channel switch on your 7800 (if it has one...I think some don't). Also, if you have (or can borrow, or are willing to buy from a thrift store) a CRT TV with a manual channel selector, that may be easier for testing purposes.

As the various replies suggest, it could be one of several issues; only troubleshooting will give the final answer.

But I can give you my experience: My 7800 I recently purchased, sometimes it will apparently not work, but it's just that the cart was not installed fully. I can't speak for others, but on mine, the cart slot is a tight fit, and I have to work to make sure to push it all the way in so it functions. Whereas on my 2600, the carts go in easily and I do not have this issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It seemed that indeed the RF-cable was the culprit. I tried another one and everything is fine, but still the signal gets quickly distorted when fiddling about with the connector on the Atari side.

>I use the gold plated cable with 110% Chinesium they are the only kind that work well with my Ataris.

Where can I get one of these?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It seemed that indeed the RF-cable was the culprit. I tried another one and everything is fine, but still the signal gets quickly distorted when fiddling about with the connector on the Atari side.

>I use the gold plated cable with 110% Chinesium they are the only kind that work well with my Ataris.

Where can I get one of these?

I bought the Monster Cable brand it is a heavy cable. Ya know like a composite or component cable dont matter. Start by Gently pushing it in the rf jack on your 7800 and slowly twisting. This will result in a clear picture once fully inserted.

Your jack may be bored out or have a weak connector. The newer cables are slightly larger and take up for the worn jack and will make it work.

This is what I have found. Enjoy your 7800!! Play homebrews as many great and exciting ones are out there and many more are coming out.