IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

In the 'field' of retro gaming/collecting, SD Carts shouldn't affect the value of the majority of titles for consoles. If anything, it can have the opposite effect, like emulation for example. It allows people to try games on the hardware, before they buy it. Off the back of this, quite often, collecting is actually 'born', as opposed to discouraged.

I admit, I used to play obscure Japanese Dreamcast games, bought as dodgy 'burned' discs from a friend for a pittance, back in the day. Games I'd never heard of like 'Ikaruga', Border Down' and 'Mark of the Wolves' (they were never released in the UK). As a result of exposing myself to games I could never access or afford, it helped educate me and I since own 2x JPN DC's and around 100 original games. All thanks to, should we say' illegitimate access ;)

As a result of exposing myself to games I could never access or afford, it helped educate me and I since own 2x JPN DC's and around 100 original games. All thanks to, should we say' illegitimate access ;)

Once you try some of the obscure, hard to obtain Jaguar titles your interest in them will considerably drop.

I think the problem is that nearly all the 'rare' stuff is utter shite.

• Like 7

More seriously, I'm not sure. It will more than likely be a custom case, and quite possibly 3D printed again... with the Jag I dont think the numbers are there to justify injection molding.

There are new, unused cartridge shells available, and Albert bought the molds to produce more of them. Having a slot cut into them for the SD card is probably cheaper and faster than 3D-printing them from scratch, not to mention the higher quality.

• Like 4

There are new, unused cartridge shells available, and Albert bought the molds to produce more of them. Having a slot cut into them for the SD card is probably cheaper and faster than 3D-printing them from scratch, not to mention the higher quality.

I didn't know that Albert bought the molds for the cartridges it's good to know they now have good home!

• Like 1

Yeah, if I was creating a new case, it would probably not look like a regular Jag one... I can't say I'm a fan of the Jag cat case.

• Like 1

Yeah, if I was creating a new case, it would probably not look like a regular Jag one... I can't say I'm a fan of the Jag cat case.

So... what would it look like, preferably, in your opinion? Genuinely curious :)

Even if getting some cart molds done was cheaper, quicker and easier, would you still opt to use 3D printing? Also, is the quality of the 3D printed plastic as good quality as a molded Jag Cart?

Sorry for the hypothetical questions but, I actually know little about 3D printing and the quality of it etc :)

A lot of the 3d printed stuff has those ugly ridges as it builds up the layers. Can't say I am a fan. That said I would buy an SD cart even if it was wrapped in an old napkin covered in ketchup

Not the case anymore - they look great and have a nice rought matte if you go through the right shop or use the right printer. I've got one of the Alpine Games with the 3D printed backing from Duranik and I actually prefer that over the plastic injected one.

On 6/24/2016 at 2:53 PM, Clint Thompson said:

Not the case anymore - they look great and have a nice rought matte if you go through the right shop or use the right printer. I've got one of the Alpine Games with the 3D printed backing from Duranik and I actually prefer that over the plastic injected one.

Yeah, it depends on what you like. I think the Lynx cases came out quite nicely, and I know I could improve on the finish with a bit of upgrade work to the printer. To get really good results from 3D printing in itself is a bit of an art form...

Edited by SainT
  • Like 6

Yeah, it depends on what you like. I think the Lynx SD cases came out quite nicely, and I know I could improve on the finish with a bit of upgrade work to the printer. To get really good results from 3D printing in itself is a bit of an art form...

3D printing is nice but I read that the plastic used in 3D printer cannot handle high temperatures compared to plastc made by molds. So a cartshell in sunlight could get damaged quicker. What are your experiences with that ?

Sent from UMI hammer with Tapatalk

3D printing is nice but I read that the plastic used in 3D printer cannot handle high temperatures compared to plastc made by molds. So a cartshell in sunlight could get damaged quicker. What are your experiences with that ?

3D printing is done using either PLA or ABS. ABS is the same plastic used in injection moulding, PLA has a marginally power melting point of about 180 degrees C. So you'd some impressive sunlight to cause a problem. I use PLA as its stronger and biodegradable -- so I don't recommend burying your cartridge in the soil for years and expecting the shell to still be usable. ;)

• Like 4

Btw, I should say the above PLA / ABS options for 3D printing are really simplified. There are far more exotic filaments which you can print with, but those two are the more common ones.

There are some funky things you can do with PLA, like wood or brass impregnation, so you could actually print a wooden or metal cartridge (well, wood or metal filler in a plastic bonding substrate).

This is all fun stuff I've not yet experimented with for 3D printing. But it does open up some interesting possibilities.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

Love the idea. I own a Mega Everdrive v2, SD2SNES, & NES EverDrive N8. I'm a big fan of these devices.

Freely released homebrew burned to a CDR and/or on a Skunk, the community has no issue. I think over time the SD cart will be the same, but it will take time. The issue for some is regarding knuckle heads uploading ROMS still being sold by people. Same could be said now though IMO (with emulating, etc). This topic is more heated in the Jag corner of the internet than most. I think it could go the opposite way & be another avenue for supporting devs. There are only so many JCDs & Skunk owners. This could vastly increase the install base for those releases. Interesting note that the Mega Everdrive won't run Pier Solar from what I've heard. Have no idea how that was accomplished.

Regarding the app store model: I believe Orion (pls correct me if wrong) or another dev recently released a digital copy of some titles for DL, correct? Maybe it was a digital copy included with a JCD release? Assuming it was stand alone, the idea was to then burn the ISO? Support the dev, but not having to buy a physical release. I'd be in. Just would now have the option to throw on the ROM cart (or play in an emulator?) in addition to Skunk or ISO on JCD.

Regarding network port: If it is IP address based for multiplayer on the LAN...

kramer-mind-blown.gif

Let's get crazy...

VPN tunneling could be used for online multiplayer over the Internet. This is what the Mario Kart community did for the GameCube. Jag DOOM online.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 2

Freely released homebrew burned to a CDR and/or on a Skunk, the community has no issue. I think over time the SD cart will be the same, but it will take time. T

Judging by this thread, most of those that thought the Jaguar was on the cusp of a second commercial life bigger than its first with people coding in their spare time for it about to hit the big time videogame developing/publishing business have moved on from their fantasies.

Those that are left seem to be people that are content to enjoy the Jaguar for what it is and have more modest aspirations for its growth in this community. And those programming for it seem to be doing it for strange reasons such as because it's fun for them and actually enjoy sharing their creations with the community.

10 years ago this thread would've hit 50 pages in just days and there would've been death threats being sent after an announcement like this.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

When there is tcp/ip support the jag can connect over the internet if you require vpn that can be done with external hardware devices. Tcp/ip would be more then enough. I did suggest an option that would run the tcp/ip stack on the embedded chip to offload this of the Jaguar, and makes it just easy in/out data and allows due to that higher transferspeed.

I do like the idea of a portal to connect to download new releases of software or updates.

• Like 1