IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

When there is tcp/ip support the jag can connect over the internet if you require vpn that can be done with external hardware devices. Tcp/ip would be more then enough. I did suggest an option that would run the tcp/ip stack on the embedded chip to offload this of the Jaguar, and makes it just easy in/out data and allows due to that higher transferspeed.

I do like the idea of a portal to connect to download new releases of software or updates.

Sent from UMI hammer with Tapatalk

While it's been a few yrs since I researched it, the Mario Kart Double Dash set up is: GCN on LAN, PC on LAN, PC handling VPN tunnel, need correct open ports on ISP router. Another end user is doing this also off sitr, "tricks" the GCN into thinking... or simulates the two console being on a single network for local play. This is actually very similar to what we do at work everyday for IP telephony between multiple sites, under one umbrella system. Essentially, this is local play, over a WAN.

Wishful thinking, but a cool possibility. I'll take SD card function first :).

The "app stores" could always be: pay dev, DL ROM to PC, manually transfer ROM to SD, pop SD into cart still in Jag. Not everyone will have their Jag near a LAN port so the manual transfer of files will be used by many even if there is a RJ45 connection. My Jag happens to near my router.

I do like the idea of having the cart support FTP for ROM file transfers over the network (a la the PS2 phat HDD mods). Now, that'd be slick. Again, getting way ahead here lol.

Vpn is really not needed why just a plain tcp/ip connection would be great. Just setup a port and ip to connect two player. For more then two you can decide to run it on a jaguar or gameserver pc/mac/raspberrypi. I don't think the Jaguar would be a good target for hacking. Just make sure the Jaguar is behind your router firewall you be safe...

Exactly. TCP/IP support would be more than enough. I would actually welcome it more than the SD.

Nice. Everything we do at work is VPN/WAN or a 128 bit AES encrypted stream hitting a soft switch. Not familiar with TCP over the internet, essentially two devices going out over the open internet and seeing each other via IP? In my world, I see a host finding a MAC address for that type of (non secure) set up. Would be interested to see it. You only know what you've seen/installed.

Again... all hypothetical as it relates to this cart. Let's get SD functionality working :)

Vpn an eas security is not needed at home with a console.

Are you afraid something evil will happen when the jaguar runs unsecure over the internet ?

Look at it to open the world of multiplay on jaguar.

Lol as I said, you only know what you install. We're enterprise environment only.

Would ultra vortek be able to work via TCP as it had modem play?

Lol as I said, you only know what you install. We're enterprise environment only.

Would ultra vortek be able to work via TCP as it had modem play?

Well, not right out of the box. If there was a source code - it would be relatively easy to add the TCPIP support. But mostly, this would be for new titles.

Well, not right out of the box. If there was a source code - it would be relatively easy to add the TCPIP support. But mostly, this would be for new titles.

Probably take a weekend, right? Give or take a few on/off ramps....

• Like 5

Some people just want to be able to play the old games they have fond memories of, or experience the things they never had. These are more the type of people which would buy an SD cart.

I call this ppl gamers... can't wait for having your cart.

Thanks to all the posts and ideas here I've come to a decision on the way forward for supporting a lot of the more exotic ideas without breaking the bank. I've found a nice little microcontroller which supports SPI, UART, USB and I2S in hardware, and still comes in at a good price. I'll also throw in an SPI Ethernet controller chip as well -- again not expensive for the functionality gained.

This allows me to route all the Jag communication lines to the microcontroller and do whatever I like with them. So this opens up data streaming for the Jag CD, tunnelling of UART data over TCP/IP (multiplayer over Internet), keyboard / mouse input, usb mass storage support. The list is pretty encompassing of all things useful.

The nice thing with all of this is that it can be released with minimal functionality, but as long as the hardware is setup right, a wealth of functionality can be added with firmware updates.

I'll open up as much of this as possible for people to mod themselves.

• Like 18

The ENC28J60 seems to be pretty cheap and well supported by example code all over the net, so that's looking likely.

Hi

I read this

If you go with an EBC28J60 kind of solution then it is just the very raw electronics with virtually no "intelligence" of its own so you end up having to do all the layers of TCP/IP rightdown to the lowest level driver within the processor itself.

Better use the W5100 then you already got the tcp/ip complete it the chip will cost around $25.00

You could release the cart with a socket so people can decide if the want/need the ethernet.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9473 ' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9473

This chip is very easy to code so not needed to program a full stack on the Jaguar which would make the ethernet handling much easier and faster because the Jaguar doesn't need to handle all the networking stuff.

It also makes your cart design much easier. [emoji4]

Hi

I read this

If you go with an EBC28J60 kind of solution then it is just the very raw electronics with virtually no "intelligence" of its own so you end up having to do all the layers of TCP/IP rightdown to the lowest level driver within the processor itself.

Better use the W5100 then you already got the tcp/ip complete it the chip will cost around $25.00

You could release the cart with a socket so people can decide if the want/need the ethernet.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9473 ' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9473

This chip is very easy to code so not needed to program a full stack on the Jaguar which would make the ethernet handling much easier and faster because the Jaguar doesn't need to handle all the networking stuff.

It also makes your cart design much easier. [emoji4]

Lol, there are Spectrum 48K machines out there running ENC28J60 solutions for networking! And there is Arduino code out there to drive them also. It's not a problem. :)

• Like 2

This is awesome, been waiting for this (may have to pick up an Atari Lynx again to buy an SD Card adapter for it too!).

I do have a question though, I used to use my JagCD all the time for the virtual light machine. Until it stopped reading disks, then I fixed that with a 10 dollar replacement of the laser, but I managed somehow to break the clip to hold the lid down... well, I was wondering if it'd be possible to implement some sort of hack to pipe mp3s through the VLM? That would rock!

Multiplayer over the internet........that sounds awesome!!!!And with the usb port for mouse and keyboard support......This is much more then a sd cartridge.......Great work SainT :thumbsup:

Ha, was always irritated that my brother and I would have to start over in Doom because of the bug where it'd just reset. We were trying to beat the game on Nightmare difficulty, but with it constantly rebooting, we only made it to level 2. While he sold his Jaguar long ago, I still have mine and I think two copies of Doom...