IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

There will be no limit on the production run for the JagSD, likewise for the LynxSD. While people want them, they will be made.... it just may take a little while. :)

The JagSD is underway, and things are continually evolving as I learn more about the microcontroller which I've chosen to handle things. It's a powerful little device. I'm trying to get to the point where I'm happy with the direction I'm going so I can get some PCB's made up and actually start doing some physical testing.

• Like 17

Well yeah, if you compare against his best sellers then supporting the Jaguar might seem questionable. But I can't imagine he sells many Game Gear carts - yet he makes those.

To be fair, there are a hell of a lot more Game Gears in existence than Jaguars. ;)

I'm going out on a limb here because I'm not a hardware expert, but it's possible due to the Game Gear being extremely similar to the SMS, it was easy to take his existing Master System cart and condense it to create a GG flash cart.

Just happy to see this coming out! Curiously, how long was the development cycle on the Lynx SD, are we talking ehhh 6 months or years. Then roughly how long from working proto to devices being made? I'm going to follow this thread closely with patience :) again, just curious.

If I'm not mistaken, it took SainT like 2 years to release the Lynx cart. Pretty fast for a one man job imo.
  • Like 2

I'm hoping it will only be like another 6 months or something.... I'm actively working on it all. :)

Niceeee. I do think this is huge for the Jaguar scene.

I'm not a constant forum visitor. Is it safe to say this thread is the best place to keep up with updates or will a separate thread with directions, etc be started once the SD cart is finished?

Thanks SaintT.

• Like 1

Yeah, no lists yet. I've actually started doing some layout work on the PCB finally though!! :D

I've got it all reasonably solid in my head now and schematics for chunks of it are sorted. So there's bits I can start to layout now... so it finally feels like I'm getting somewhere. Hopefully should have a PCB layout to order in a few weeks to start testing the flash and memory interface stuff. It will have a small flash (128KB accessible) for boot-up and menu system, then a load of RAM which will be switchable in the cart memory space. So you can boot from FLASH, populate the RAM from memory card, then boot from it as a normal cart.

Lots is in flux in terms of how I'm going to handle it. I'm hoping a lot of things can be offloaded to the microcontroller, like EEPROM support etc...

It's looking like the cart will have 16mb of RAM on it, which will be pageable should anyone want to have that kind of memory available quickly.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 10