IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

I intend to have debugging facilities, including connection to the debug header on the Jag PCB for NMI and memory read / write debug breakpoints. This will be controlled from the USB connection on the board.

Ignore my post saint I replied to wrong guy.Ignore my post saint I replied to wrong guy.

Yeah, it's still relevant though. Your comment seemed to be saying that the cart I'm working on didn't have any debugging capabilities, hence I assume the "shooting yourself in the foot" comment to do with selling a skunkboard. I just wanted to point out this wasnt the case, infact with the connection from the header (U32 I think?) on the Jag PCB it can be as functional as an Alpine board. This gives connection to IPL2 on the 68k as well as the FC1/2 outputs so its possible to use this as a debugging / monitor interrupt. Coupled with a USB connection to the onboard micro, this does infact allow a nice workable debugging solution from a PC.

• Like 5

Thanks aminor00 for the reception :-D :thumbsup: and SainT, you're doing God's work with that flashcart, man, pun intended. I own 27 or 28 consoles (I mean, not 27 jaguars, I have only one of those), I love my collection and I'll be really happy to be able to play all or at least most atari jaguar games on my console :-D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Eurgh, getting very close to having something I can send to the PCB fab house now to actually start doing some physical testing. This is the most complex PCB I've routed (this is only about my 5th proper project, so not surprising I guess), and it does start to drive you slightly mental after a few days at it... :o

• Like 9

I wasn't planning on starting any preorders until I'd got the cart functional, but given the amount of interest I may set something up before then, as it seems people are keen to get their names down as soon as possible. :) I'll announce here when it's open, anyhow.

• Like 8

When you start rearranging brightly-colored lines over and over again in your dreams at night, you know it's time for a break. Are you there yet? :D

Lol, not far off! I do go to sleep thinking about routing, Microcontrollers and ic's a lot of the time... :)

• Like 2

Hello,

Will the cartridge support the "fastrom" mode (2 cycles)?

(If it operates ... I think Zerosquare once said that this mode was bugged, but it did not say why)

And the cartridge will be 16 or 32 bit (or ... 8 :)?

I've no idea on the quicker ROM access at the moment, I've not checked -- that's something that will come out of actual testing.

It will support 32, 16 and 8 bit cart bus sizes.

• Like 3

Will the cartridge support the "fastrom" mode (2 cycles)?

(If it operates ... I think Zerosquare once said that this mode was bugged, but it did not say why)

I don't have the details (that was something that was discovered by SCPCD a long time ago, and I don't think he documented it), but as I remember it, the 2-cycle mode has at least one non-obvious bug with no easy hardware workaround. I think it depended on which processor iniated the bus access, and maybe some other conditions as well.

It will support 32, 16 and 8 bit cart bus sizes.

Nice :)

32-bit bus width isn't absolutely required and makes the routing more complicated, but if you've got motivation... :D

Nice :)

32-bit bus width isn't absolutely required and makes the routing more complicated, but if you've got motivation... :D

Yep, routing is already done for that bit. I've taken a shared bus approach with a 32-bit general bus which is switchable between address and data -- this is then sliced by the FPGA. It *should* all work nicely as the external bus access in general is pretty slow. I'm very much looking forward to testing... :)

Just have the extra debug connector to route with yet another level shifter... then I think that's it for this first pass.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

"It will support 32, 16 and 8 bit cart bus sizes."

Just out of curiosity, what does this means?

The Jag has the ability to access either 32, 16 or 8 bits of data per access to the external bus (the data on the cartridge). A 32 bit cart can transfer data to the jag 4x quicker than an 8bit cart. I'm really not sure what games were what bus size, but you'd expect larger games to have more ROM's and therefore be connected in parallel to the data bus and therefore more likely to be 32bit, but I really haven't done any research on this!

• Like 2