IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

LOL, such thin skin, and I'm a sausage casing.

I find the decision to go with a 3D printed shell extremely disappointing- and it kills production, even if SainT buys multiple machines or whatever he's going to do to speed that end up, it's still going to be a bottleneck. And the resolution for consumer grade machines has yet to come close to be aesthetically pleasing. I respect the direction as an economical one but for a finished product... again, disappointing.

And yeah, I said it. There is going to be no competition to sway the design another way- that's the truth isn't it? If the Jaguar was a more popular console we'd have seen an Everdrive version by now, though I will give the guy credit and say I have more confidence in SainT's electrical design properly shifting 3.3v out of 5v versus what Krikkz has come up with. Unarguably it will be a safe device to use on the Jaguar.

I'm kind of on the fence about 3D printed cases. On the one hand, I have the Ultimate Atari Cartridge that looks like something went wrong when the case was being printed up, and there is warping on the bottom of it. not to mention there is a weird nob that I filed down on the side where it looks like it got too much plastic.

Then there is the superb 3D printing that was on the Lynx SD card. Granted, much smaller in size, but seems to be just right (bought two of them, and they were consistent.)

On the other side of things, however Lotharek is getting the SIDE2 cartridges done is absolutely amazing, definitely looks like professional work!

• Like 3

On 11/4/2017 at 5:34 PM, Bratwurst said:

LOL, such thin skin, and I'm a sausage casing.

I find the decision to go with a 3D printed shell extremely disappointing- and it kills production, even if SainT buys multiple machines or whatever he's going to do to speed that end up, it's still going to be a bottleneck. And the resolution for consumer grade machines has yet to come close to be aesthetically pleasing. I respect the direction as an economical one but for a finished product... again, disappointing.

And yeah, I said it. There is going to be no competition to sway the design another way- that's the truth isn't it? If the Jaguar was a more popular console we'd have seen an Everdrive version by now, though I will give the guy credit and say I have more confidence in SainT's electrical design properly shifting 3.3v out of 5v versus what Krikkz has come up with. Unarguably it will be a safe device to use on the Jaguar.

I'll charge an extra £20 a cart and a few months delay if you want to go with injection molded cases in the volume I expect to sell these. In my mind I just cant justify the cost, not just for my sake, but the 90%+ of people who wont care.

Personally I've been very pleased with the quality I've been able to achieve with the Lynx and NeoGeo Pocket shells from a standard 3D print. And I'm getting to the point 3D printing will not be a bottleneck -- quite honestly I wouldn't have gone down this route if it was going to be. :)

And don't forget the original Krikzz carts came with no shells at all, you had to butcher your old games if you wanted one. You can still do this if you wish, up to you.

And to be quite frank, the reason there is no competition is because it's small peanuts -- the number I'm going to sell of these is the reason there is no competition! It's just not worth the time and effort of someone like Krikzz who sells his carts by the bucket load. I'm filling a niche market, which I can afford to, as it's just me designing and building these things.

Whether I disappoint a single person or not really has little affect on my decisions, I work from a perspective of what makes the most sense to me, and to my understanding the vast majority of the people I am doing this for. Given my track record, I like to think I've got a reasonable handle on this.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 22

Im disappointed in the 3d printed shell as well, and i wouldve paid more for a molded shell, but its not a deal breaker for me. im still looking forward to the finished product, and very curious on how you have designed the shell. I dont think the NeoGeo Pocket shell looks awful for example, and if it looks anything like that ill be satisfied enough. Hopefully ill see it soon enough once its up for sale, to place an order with you for one!

• Like 1

Whether I disappoint a single person or not really has little affect on my decisions, I work from a perspective of what makes the most sense to me, and to my understanding the vast majority of the people I am doing this for. Given my track record, I like to think I've got a reasonable handle on this.

This is the right attitude to have. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Im disappointed in the 3d printed shell as well, and i wouldve paid more for a molded shell, but its not a deal breaker for me. im still looking forward to the finished product, and very curious on how you have designed the shell. I dont think the NeoGeo Pocket shell looks awful for example, and if it looks anything like that ill be satisfied enough. Hopefully ill see it soon enough once its up for sale, to place an order with you for one!

To be fair, I'm disappointed also... :)

But as many allude to, it's far from the end of the world. The main issue here is that it's a solidly engineered fully working piece of hardware, not an ornament.

I'll be doing another update in the next few days showing the new PCB in a physical case. I've some tweaking yet to do on the case, but this is the current design. I'm sure many wont like it, as it doesn't look like all the other Jaguar carts, but I don't try to mimic the Jaguar cases purposely, as there's no point trying to design a 3D printed case without using the right design methodology (otherwise it looks shit). So this is my take, using the things 3D printing does best, and some throw backs to other Atari hardware design. There will be a sticker on the top half of the front covering the screw holes.

post-37728-0-19053400-1509826153_thumb.png

Edited by SainT
  • Like 24

I seriously can't wait to get one and don't understand the complaining. He did state that if you pay extra and don't mind a delay you can get a molded case. So as I see it all aspects covered to please all! Very excited for this product!!

Lol, for the 12 people I expect to want the molded case, you'll be paying more than £20 extra... ;)

It's one or the other.

• Like 3

But as many allude to, it's far from the end of the world. The main issue here is that it's a solidly engineered fully working piece of hardware, not an ornament.

I'll be doing another update in the next few days showing the new PCB in a physical case. I've some tweaking yet to do on the case, but this is the current design. I'm sure many wont like it, as it doesn't look like all the other Jaguar carts, but I don't try to mimic the Jaguar cases purposely, as there's no point trying to design a 3D printed case without using the right design methodology (otherwise it looks shit). So this is my take, using the things 3D printing does best, and some throw backs to other Atari hardware design.

attachicon.gifJagShell.png

Ah that looks excellent! Can you give it a 3D printed logo/ name? Something wild cat related. How about the "Cub" for its small size and reliance on the parent Jaguar?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got no problem with a 3D printed case, it's what's inside that counts. The worse problem you get with a well printed 3D object is layer lines, and if they're genuinely a huge issue you can just get some epoxy and scrape it over to make the case smoother.

I'd certainly rather a 3D printed case than an extra £20 - £30 on top for an injection molded one.

• Like 2

I am A-Ok with a high-quality 3D printed shell. No problem at all for me. Thank you for bringing this project to life.

Not sure what is stopping anybody from designing and manufacturing their own injection-molded cases for these, if it is truly THAT important to them.

• Like 2

Not sure what is stopping anybody from designing and manufacturing their own injection-molded cases for these, if it is truly THAT important to them.

Oh, it's expensive (unless you're making 10's of thousands, then it gets worthwhile!)... ;)

However I may offer the STL files up if people wanted to get them made using resin cured 3D manufacture or something. The finish quality is higher, but you're still talking something like £20+ per shell if getting them outsourced.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 4

I really like the shell and honestly, I wouldn't want it to look like any other cart. I completely trust the designer with this and it makes me wish I'd been around when he released the Lynx SD cart.

I'm assuming this may be buried somewhere in the thread, but is it too early to ask about a price and how these will be made available?

• Like 2

I really like the shell and honestly, I wouldn't want it to look like any other cart. I completely trust the designer with this and it makes me wish I'd been around when he released the Lynx SD cart.

I'm assuming this may be buried somewhere in the thread, but is it too early to ask about a price and how these will be made available?

I think he is still selling / making the LynxSD.

• Like 1

I think he is still selling / making the LynxSD.

Oh cool! Can someone provide me a link for that?

I'm honestly more curious about the price and how to acquire a Jag SD cart when those become available.

I keep getting burned trying to get a Phoebe unit for my Saturn, and the Jaguar is a far more interesting console to me, so I just want to be prepared is all.

I'll be doing another update in the next few days showing the new PCB in a physical case. I've some tweaking yet to do on the case, but this is the current design. I'm sure many wont like it, as it doesn't look like all the other Jaguar carts, but I don't try to mimic the Jaguar cases purposely, as there's no point trying to design a 3D printed case without using the right design methodology (otherwise it looks shit). So this is my take, using the things 3D printing does best, and some throw backs to other Atari hardware design. There will be a sticker on the top half of the front covering the screw holes.

attachicon.gifJagShell.png

I think it looks great! For those looking to fancy it up a bit, you could always try hydro-dipping graphic transfers as that's something I may try myself... that or just apply a real coat of authentic Jaguar fur. ;-)

Cant wait for this to come available. Saint did an amazing job with lynx SD cart. Couldnt be happier. Looking forward to finally be able to play battle sphere and other rare games. Aswell as we ports on rom.

Keep us updated when the order list starts . Happy Days ahead. ??

• Like 2