IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Tape noises? No, Sir. Gotta keep it in the Atari family. Gotta make noises like an Atari 8-bit computer loading disks or tapes via the SIO Port...the POKEY would make all sorts of beeps and farting noising to indicate something was going on. There's plenty of videos on The YouTube with the audio intact. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I always LOVED the sound of the Atari 810 formatting a disk. Reminded me of the three stooges, Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck. But more grinding in sound.

• Like 2

I know what you mean! I believe I was the first person to add (or think of adding, I can't remember if Leonard actually coded it!) disk drive sound effects into an emulator. SainT (an Atari ST emulator which was my project years ago, but maintained by Leonard/Oxygene now for those who don't know it) was the first emulator that I know of with disk drive sound effects.

Nothing more nostalgic than the chug, clunk and whir of a floppy drive!

• Like 8

Not as good as a Happy 1050 reading with the high-speed copier :)

I miss my Happy 1050. Stupid curious kid that I was.. I had pulled the chip out to look at it, didn't realize I put it back in with one pin pair offset, turned the drive on and it stopped working. We sent the drive off to be repaired and never saw it again. Ended our great computer reign until we got a Mega STe.

I know what you mean! I believe I was the first person to add (or think of adding, I can't remember if Leonard actually coded it!) disk drive sound effects into an emulator. SainT (an Atari ST emulator which was my project years ago, but maintained by Leonard/Oxygene now for those who don't know it) was the first emulator that I know of with disk drive sound effects.

Nothing more nostalgic than the chug, clunk and whir of a floppy drive!

Ha, I don't know why I never put that together, I remember using that one. Speaking of that, FS-UAE emulated the floppy sound, which is fine except the Amiga always trued to check for a disk... so if you don't have an image mounted, it just makes the stupid sound in about 10 second intervals. If you are just running thongs from a hard drive and aren't aware of the program that disables that (Which I don't understand why OS4 doesn't have that built-in...) then you just hear that noise... over and over...

Sorry for the off topic rant, am totally looking forward to this SD cart though!

I was thinking earlier if AtGames would produce a Mini-Jag flashback, it would be cool, and the library was so small, they could easily fit it all. Of course emulation of the Jag isn't exactly perfect yet, so that will probably never happen, especially since the Jag was never that popular. I am sure they make bank on their other stuff though.

Edited by leech

So looking back on the thread it looks like the flash cart is coming along, but I imagine it will be a bit yet before it will be available. I was wondering when I looked something was said about CD, is this going to be able to play cd images without the cd?

From my understanding, it should play them without the CD Drive even being necessary. That will help keep these experiences alive as the motors and lasers die out, as well as give more people a chance to experience it as there are a lot more Jags than working CD drives out there.

• Like 1

From my understanding, it should play them without the CD Drive even being necessary. That will help keep these experiences alive as the motors and lasers die out, as well as give more people a chance to experience it as there are a lot more Jags than working CD drives out there.

Unless the CD Bios gets re-loaded (which will trash the hooks in the emulated bios), which quite a lot of home brew titles do.

Yes, the plan is to be able to run cd games from the memory card and also stream music to VLM from WAV files or audio iso's (or whatever). If the boos is overwritten it will bugger it, yes. However my primary goal is commercial releases which will be well behaved.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 8

Now that I own a Jaguar I can not wait for this to come out. I have 3 games right now, tempest 2k, Iron soldier, and Brutal Sports Football, and probably won't get another game til this comes out as most games, if you can find them are around $35 or so. I, definitely, got into this great machine way to late as prices are skyrocketing. I have the CD unit to keep me a little busy while waiting for this to come out, via burned discs as games are really high for CD games too and not many out there worth the price that is wanted.

Now that I own a Jaguar I can not wait for this to come out. I have 3 games right now, tempest 2k, Iron soldier, and Brutal Sports Football, and probably won't get another game til this comes out as most games, if you can find them are around $35 or so. I, definitely, got into this great machine way to late as prices are skyrocketing. I have the CD unit to keep me a little busy while waiting for this to come out, via burned discs as games are really high for CD games too and not many out there worth the price that is wanted.

Tell me about it. I used to have Primal Rage (still have the box, but no clue what happened to my CD and it's case). All the copies I've seen of that game are in the 70-90 range. To be fair, outside of emulating it in MAME, it's the best conversion I've seen.

Tell me about it. I used to have Primal Rage (still have the box, but no clue what happened to my CD and it's case). All the copies I've seen of that game are in the 70-90 range. To be fair, outside of emulating it in MAME, it's the best conversion I've seen.

If you've got the longbox you could probably sell that on ebay alone for $100.

I bought one back in 2015 for $150 on ebay and it came with 2 games (Cybermorph and I can't remmeber what the other one was) and I thought that was expensive.

Best Electronics sold them new at the time for $250, now it's getting hard to just find one for less then $250.

The controllers though, are still cheap and easy to find brand new.

Edited by Pink

WOW I'm a lucky one I suppose. I bought my Jaguar new many many years ago for I believe $45.00-$50.00 Canadian. But that was easily in the early 2000's if memory serves me correctly and Jaguar demand was not high at all. In fact I wish I collected a complete set back then as save for maybe two games they were all cheaply attainable should one want them. I have an ok collection but still this SD card is a dream for me especially for CD games!! Actually I remember purchasing the CD unit for about $120.00 Canadian but was not working upon arrival and so returned it.

Edited by sandroace

WOW I'm a lucky one I suppose. I bought my Jaguar new many many years ago for I believe $45.00-$50.00 Canadian. But that was easily in the early 2000's if memory serves me correctly and Jaguar demand was not high at all. In fact I wish I collected a complete set back then as save for maybe two games they were all cheaply attainable should one want them. I have an ok collection but still this SD card is a dream for me especially for CD games!! Actually I remember purchasing the CD unit for about $120.00 Canadian but was not working upon arrival and so returned it.

Yes, back then these things were dirt cheap.

$60 at Tiger Direct for the console and 3 games and $90 for the CD Unit, and bundles of 3 games for $30 for the Jaguar and a 4 game bundle for $40 for the CD unit. This is from 1997 I think...?

atari_jaguar_tigerdirect_large.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

I'll start by saying I'm lazy and don't want to read 42 pages of comments, but was wondering how progress was going and do we know if this will be out spring/summer/fall? Debating whether to buy anymore games or just save up for the cartridge if it's going to be out soonish. Basically looking at 1 game currently, attack of the mutant penguins, and if I can save about $50 due to SD card coming out soon, I will do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update! Christmas and feeling like complete crap for the last month or so has slowed me down rather a lot. :(

I've sorted out an odd issue where not all memory card were working. Only some old smaller cards worked, and I thought it was something to do with the speed of the newer cards (rising edge causing reflections over a long SPI bus), but it was a stupid software setup issue in the end. Didn't realise what was going on until I hooked the scope up.

New mini-usb connector and esd suppressant checked and working.

PCB revised to include a latch for the data lines.

Added an RC delay instead of using a LSFR delay timer on chip as the LFSR delay was causing lots of timing headaches.

I *think* I'm ready to order a new PCB now. One last sanity check tomorrow that I've not forgotten anything else which might be handy, then I'll order.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 15