IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

The weather is getting worse and we're heading toward autumn, and the kids and going back to school shortly. So things will pick up again in the next couple of weeks. I'm feeling very enthusiastic about getting stuck into the Jag again after a break! :D

Blahhh, to heck with that feline, time for the 7800!

• Like 1

"Take your time, hurry up, the choice is yours; just don't be late."

Kurt Cobain actually got that one down pat with Nirvana in that song lyric. :)

But, seriously, it is getting done, and will take some time. I will be patient. But, I would love to get one of those carts for my Jaguar. It will get done soon. I have faith in that. Thanks for letting me share.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, yes, I do my small updates on twitter, as it seems the most appropriate place! But to recap... :)

I've made some good progress over the last couple of weeks, tidying up lose ends such as the firmware updating mechanism for the microcontroller and also the hardware configuration bitstream, so its fully updatable from the memory card.

I've also more or less finalised the look of the menu, and have that functional in a basic state now. I need to get the box art and screenshots as part of a custom rom image format so they can be displayed alongside the game on the menu. I'll keep the format expandable so I can add other things in there if needed, although I'm not sure what else above box art and screen shot would be required. Not sure if I'll have the savegames in the rom image file or as a separate file, yet...

Anyway, all going well. :)

post-37728-0-75207200-1538600815_thumb.png

Edited by SainT
  • Like 23

Hmm, haven't kept up with all the small updates, but with CD-ROM on the menu, how actively is that being investigated? Last I understood it was on the far back burner. I'll get one either way but this would be huge in many ways, as even those who have the drive and every game will have it die someday. Totally understandable if it isn't a sure thing, I'm just wondering if any progress was made.

Even if it only loaded the game properly 1/5 times, I'd take the CD-ROM support lol.

• Like 1

I've done a LOT of work on the CD emulation already, the sticking point has been the Jaguar just being mental and the RISC chips hanging and resetting themselves for no good reason. I stopped work on this for fear of vanishing down a rabbit hole never to be seen again, and moved to actaully getting the thing finished as a ROM simulator, which is very close now. Once I have some test units out there with people actively testing the ROM functionality I can move back to the CD again and get feedback from multiple units, not just mine.

• Like 11

Hmm, haven't kept up with all the small updates, but with CD-ROM on the menu, how actively is that being investigated? Last I understood it was on the far back burner. I'll get one either way but this would be huge in many ways, as even those who have the drive and every game will have it die someday. Totally understandable if it isn't a sure thing, I'm just wondering if any progress was made.

Even if it only loaded the game properly 1/5 times, I'd take the CD-ROM support lol.

Hey, if it means not loading CDs into the Jaguar itself, that is OK with me as well. But, I understand that there is now at least partial CD emulation. That tells me it just needs to be fine-tuned, that's all. This is research and development, so I know it takes time. But, nevertheless, I feel pleased about how the project has come this far into fruition. I like the work. I can see how it will benefit Jaguar collectors. I intend to keep my Jaguar CD units (and I have two), but an SD cartridge, when it is fully developed with the CD emulation (I speak VERY optimistically, of course, because I believe by hook or by crook that will happen), and if I can afford it, then it would be like CDs on a cart. Because, obviously, that is what it will be. That, itself, is what makes me so excited about this project and how far it has advanced and will advance in the future. So, again, thanks for your awesome efforts, SainT. :)

I didn't know you were updating on twitter! That is so cool!!! Some really great updates so far!

Is there a way to update the first post of the thread or something and put a link to your Twitter there as well so people seeing this for the first time know to look there for updates as well?

You bastards dragged me back! SainT... I can't freaking wait... but really I can. Screens look great. Relax, you seem to be refocused, tackle getting the CD emu to work when you can. Saw the tweet, now my inbox is blowing up due to being subscribed to this thread. BUMP!

Edited by blipsqueak
  • Like 1