IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

On 11/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, 42bs said:

IIRC Mathias Domin did this ... some years ago.

That was just patched TOS running in mono. I'm talking about EmuTOS, so having proper support for video modes, etc...

The Jaguar could be a TOS compatible computer quite easily, using the memory card as HDD.

Just more fun options open if people want to do it... ;)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

That was just patched TOS running in mono. I'm talking about EmuTOS, so having proper support for video modes, etc...

The Jaguar could be a TOS compatible computer quite easily, using the SD as HDD.

Well, apart from the "I do it because I can" factor, I do not see any benefit.

And ST games without the need to port them :grin:

Or demos, that'll be a challenge: Run a sprite-record demo on the Jaguar.

I spent two days (and I mean full days!) with tIn on a meeting to write a planar converter using only the blitter and GPU, but we never achieved it. The goal was to run Dynablaster 1:1 on the Jaguar.

Edited by 42bs
  • Like 5

I can provide a chunky to planar register set on the JagSD.... extremely easy in hardware. It would just be a read/write/read/write operation to get the planar screen data, write it to a planar register, then read from a chunky register and then write back to the screen buffer.

Oh, and quite possibly a YM2149 core for audio... just read from a couple of 8 (or 16) bit volume registers and output to DAC, otherwise use the YM as normal (except with different register base).

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

I can provide a chunky to planar register set on the JagSD.... extremely easy in hardware. It would just be a read/write/read/write operation to get the planar screen data, write it to a planar register, then read from a chunky register and then write back to the screen buffer.

Oh, and quite possibly a YM2149 core for audio... just read from a couple of 8 (or 16) bit volume registers and output to DAC, otherwise use the YM as normal (except with different register base).

Ahh, that's cheating :-)

• Like 3

The Jaguar could be a TOS compatible computer quite easily, using the SD as HDD.

I second that idea.

What about keyboard/mouse support? Would be there dedicated keyboard port?

• Like 1

I second that idea.

What about keyboard/mouse support? Would be there dedicated keyboard port?

You would think that there could be an adapter created for a keyboard to go in the joypad port. But, I might be getting a little ahead of myself. Sorry, folks. I am just eager to see this in action. Thanks.

A port of EmuTOS has been on my mind. No reason the Jaguar cannot be a "proper" Atari...

There is actually a German chap working on EmuTOS for the Jag at the moment too :) Or at least he is working to improve the GDI side of it on the Jag. I don't think he comes on here though. Might be worth having a chat with him and seeing if there is any mutually beneficial code there?

• Like 1

There is actually a German chap working on EmuTOS for the Jag at the moment too :) Or at least he is working to improve the GDI side of it on the Jag. I don't think he comes on here though. Might be worth having a chat with him and seeing if there is any mutually beneficial code there?

Either way, it's a cool idea. Is there anything about the guy working on EmuTOS and/or GDI improvements for the Jag online? Is there a specific forum that he attends? I am curious to read up on that. Thanks. :)

To emulate a console or computer you need a lot CPU power, the RISC are very fast but a pain to code because you only have 4KB of RAM, also you must code in assembler and that makes it harder. Also, old systems emulation "must" be cycle accurate and that it's harder to code and slower to execute.

Anyway, why you want to play a NES (for example) game on the jaguar when you have a NES emulator on the PC? IMHO it's better to use your time to create a new and original game than an emulator.

• Like 3

Right. That is true. But, I was thinking about only Atari systems, not other developers. But, you're right. It would be CPU-intensive for sure. I agree. It is hard enough for me to get 3D acceleration, for a certain example, on my Linux and Windows guests on VirtualBox for my iMac, and I have a Intel quad-core i7 and 16 GB of RAM in it. The 3D acceleration slows down the machines down too much if it is checked, but that is experimental on VirtualBox anyway, and I am working with a late 2009 iMac, so it is slower than newer Macs. So, I understand what you mean about emulation and it not being perfect. But, good point anyway. Real hardware trumps emulation all the time. So, yes, I do get that, but thanks for bringing it up anyway.

Anyway, that was just an example. I am no emulation expert, but I am certain it could be harder to emulate older cores for classic video gaming. But, I could be 180º off on that, too. Thanks. :)

Anyway, why you want to play a NES (for example) game on the jaguar when you have a NES emulator on the PC? IMHO it's better to use your time to create a new and original game than an emulator.

Writing an original game for the Jaguar isn't an easy job. Esp. for a one-man-team. First the (unique) game-idea, then the game play and graphic and sound are often killers. I remember some reactions when I released T-Tris for the Lynx. Many comments on the "stolen" sound effects or the poor gfx. None about being the first Lynx game with safe-game feature :.(

Writing an emulator is challenging and can be done alone (or mostly alone).

(Edit: Typos, more info)

Edited by 42bs
  • Like 8

Writing an original game for the Jaguar isn't an easy job. Esp. for a one-man-team. First the (unique) game-idea, then the game play and graphic and sound are often killers. I remember some reactions when I release T-Tris for the Lynx. Many comments on the "stolen" sound effects or poor gfx.

Writing an emulator is challenging and can be done alone (or mostly alone).

This is true, too. Atari used teams of programmers to make video games for the Jaguar. At least, that is what I heard through the grapevine, and it is probably so. I can see how it is tough, especially with assembly code.

This is true, too. Atari used teams of programmers to make video games for the Jaguar. At least, that is what I heard through the grapevine, and it is probably so. I can see how it is tough, especially with assembly code.

Assembly if not tough. That's an urban legend. It is a bit more time consuming though.

• Like 1