IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

I just watched this video

And I see a RED FLAG immediately.

On the menu interface, up and down on the D-pad scrolls through games............... good!

Pressing left and right on the D-pad lets you see more text in the file names............. bad. This should happen automatically if you let the selection idle on the game for a few seconds.

Holding the A button down and pressing left and right and up and down goes to new letter in alphabet and turns pages........... strange.

The way its supposed to work is as follows:

Up and Down on D-pad scrolls through games vertically

Left and Right on D-pad goes to the next page

Right goes to the next page going forward, Left goes back to the previous page backwards.

It's literally this simple. If you look at the everdrives line of flashcarts this is how these work. I don't know how something so simple can get messed up like this.

Also, having cartridge games separated from CD games in my opinion is unnecessary. All you have to do is make a separate folder and stick all of the CD games in there if you really want.

I support this project, but please make left and right turn the pages of the list of games on the interface.

Noted. I'm ashamed of myself. I will go and beat myself with the pain stick until the shame has gone.

• Like 13

Holy Crap, what a gaff.

But it gets worse, how come I even have to touch the jagpad at all ? why the f*** doesn't it just read my mind and automatcally load up an play the game i'm thinking about.

Saint, I can't believe you didn't consider this, consequently oxfordshire is going to annexe gloucestershire and impose daily administration of the pain stick - and it's all your fault. :)

• Like 5

In defense of the A+left/right for page flipping. Anyone who has used a standard jag controller for any length of time knows how easy it is to accidentally pressed left and right when the intention was up or down. Locking left or right behind a button press is wise in my opinion, even if its believed to be common convention. I do like the idea of an auto scroll on the name though.

Also, nothing like a good pain stick every once in a while... Time to turn on my Jag.

• Like 2

In defense of the A+left/right for page flipping. Anyone who has used a standard jag controller for any length of time knows how easy it is to accidentally pressed left and right when the intention was up or down. Locking left or right behind a button press is wise in my opinion, even if its believed to be common convention. I do like the idea of an auto scroll on the name though.

Also, nothing like a good pain stick every once in a while... Time to turn on my Jag.

I'll just have things like autoscroll as an option. Everyone has their own preferences, and I'm not going to force mine upon others if I can avoid it with simple options like this.

As long as options screens don't give me a RED FLAG? I'll wait for confirmation it's OK before adding anything like that. I can't take any more of the pain stick right now. I can barely sit.

• Like 9

I guess the UI will evolve and can be updated once there is some user feedback. And maybe SainT will open the API, so everyone can write hers/his own super-UI with all possibles whistles and bells.

But I fear, mind-reading is totally out of scope for the Jag (though as programmer on the Jag I believe it can ...)

I'll just have things like autoscroll as an option. Everyone has their own preferences, and I'm not going to force mine upon others if I can avoid it with simple options like this.

As long as options screens don't give me a RED FLAG? I'll wait for confirmation it's OK before adding anything like that. I can't take any more of the pain stick right now. I can barely sit.

The Saint has spoketh! Praise be the Pain Stick!

But I fear, mind-reading is totally out of scope for the Jag (though as programmer on the Jag I believe it can ...)

Hey stop lying to people! as a programmer you know full well that mind reading is a core feature of the Jag

coder: OK I make this simple change..

Jaguar (reading coders mind):.. I see what you want me to do, that makes perfect sense.. here you go.. enjoy

BLANK SCREEN

MUWHAHAHAHA

They're right evil buggers! :D

• Like 5

Ha, on the note of the mind-reading. I had read at one point in time, Atari were working on a mind-reading controller. I believe they actually managed to get it to move a cursor around, but that was the extent of it. I'll have to try to remember where I read that at.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2600/mindlink.html

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

Ha, on the note of the mind-reading. I had read at one point in time, Atari were working on a mind-reading controller. I believe they actually managed to get it to move a cursor around, but that was the extent of it. I'll have to try to remember where I read that at.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2600/mindlink.html

I'm not sure about the progress Atari made on the technology, but I do know it wound up in actual products and somewhat works:

https://www.amazon.com/Mattel-P2639-Mindflex-Game/dp/B001UEUHCG

Haha, I came here to comment on that jerk's post. But it would appear my comment is necessary so bravo to you community and extra kudos to Saint for rolling with it.

I do actually agree somewhat with some of what the guy is saying. Left/right paging is pretty common in most menus of these types (not just flash carts but in general) but it's definitely not even close to a RED FLAG at all. Separate menus for cart/CD is actually kind of confusing as well for anybody who has used the SSDS3 rather than just using a folder.

So despite how his message was conveyed, there is a bit of merit to some of it. However, that guy can go to hell though.

Edited by Amerika
  • Like 2