IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Nope, it's the other way around. The Skunkboard was coded not to run BattleSphere

Since the Skunkboard was coded not to run Battlesphere, do you think then it will work on the the SD cart? Unless SainT codes the SD cart not to run Battlesphere. Sorry if this wasn;t answered somewhere in the thread but I saw your post about this recently.

Since the Skunkboard was coded not to run Battlesphere, do you think then it will work on the the SD cart? Unless SainT codes the SD cart not to run Battlesphere. Sorry if this wasn;t answered somewhere in the thread but I saw your post about this recently.

I've had it running, yep.

• Like 6

I've had it running, yep.

Probably another stupid question for you SainT but will is support save states or progress/high scores? With most flash carts I seem to see they lose the status/scores/progress once you flash a new game instead. Would it also support Memory Track saves for the CD based games? This was probably answered somewhere in this 85 pages.

All the flash carts I have support saves, and I've got quite a few. Aside from ones for systems that predate saving, they usually make an .sav file. I can't remember what SainT's ngpc and lynx do but I don't remember any problems. All of the everdrives save. For some models you have to hit reset before turning it off to record the save but that's the most I've dealt with.

I imagine single game flash carts would be more limited but I've never owned one and this isn't one. I think there was some talk about whether it would permanently alter the ROM or exist separately for this one.

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, UHATEIT said:

Probably another stupid question for you SainT but will is support save states or progress/high scores? With most flash carts I seem to see they lose the status/scores/progress once you flash a new game instead. Would it also support Memory Track saves for the CD based games? This was probably answered somewhere in this 85 pages.

Yep, save info from the EEPROM is stored on the memory card.

Likewise memory track will be persisted to the memory card.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

I'm assuming then, that no features are planned to prevent future downloadable ROMs from working?

There is a 128bit unique id in each cart, I will have support for encrypting ROMs to only run on a specific cart. Short of that, no.

I would expect a similar situation to the Lynx, in that the community actively do not dump and share new games for a system, so the preventative measure is actually the community and not the hardware.

• Like 6

There is a 128bit unique id in each cart, I will have support for encrypting ROMs to only run on a specific cart. Short of that, no.

Would this mean that an author could request the unique id from the purchaser and then modify their code accordingly, and provide the customer with either an electronic download or an image on a sd card that will only work on that specific SD cartridge ?

That would seem pretty reasonable to me.

• Like 1

Would this mean that an author could request the unique id from the purchaser and then modify their code accordingly, and provide the customer with either an electronic download or an image on a sd card that will only work on that specific SD cartridge ?

That would seem pretty reasonable to me.

as long as the cart owner would have means to find out what the actual ID is?

Yes, and yes. I can provide a tool to sign a rom for a given key which would be decrypted on the microcontroller and run. So it should be pretty secure -- certainly possible to hack (as with anything), but its a lot trickier than just having a plain ROM and asking people not to share.

The key can be found either by connecting the cart over USB or I can make it visible from the Jaguar as a alphanumeric string.

• Like 4

Yes, and yes. I can provide a tool to sign a rom for a given key which would be decrypted on the microcontroller and run. So it should be pretty secure -- certainly possible to hack (as with anything), but its a lot trickier than just having a plain ROM and asking people not to share.

The key can be found either by connecting the cart over USB or I can make it visible from the Jaguar as a alphanumeric string.

Might be handy to provide or make available the encryption code used, so people can build it into their webshops etc. Be nice to say buy a ROM from AA or somewhere, bang in your flash ID, and the store automatically generates your encrypted ROM for use on the Flash Cart.

Obviously ideally want some way that naughty people cannot then just buy a ROM themselves, decode it with their key and release the unlocked ROM.

It's a shame that the Jaguar scene seems to attract people wanting to profit from others hard work and fan's interests in the system :(

• Like 2

Might be handy to provide or make available the encryption code used, so people can build it into their webshops etc. Be nice to say buy a ROM from AA or somewhere, bang in your flash ID, and the store automatically generates your encrypted ROM for use on the Flash Cart.

Obviously ideally want some way that naughty people cannot then just buy a ROM themselves, decode it with their key and release the unlocked ROM.

It's a shame that the Jaguar scene seems to attract people wanting to profit from others hard work and fan's interests in the system :(

Absolutely -- I'm using standard openssl type encryption, so it would be very easy to integrate into a web shop.

• Like 1

Would this mean that a rom could also be made to only work if such a key is not present at all? If it can detect it is running on the flash cart it could prevent itself from running. Whether it checks for the key itself, or simply requires instructions in the ROM saying to run it through the key, that could be added to a non encrypted rom to have it scrambled by being 'decrypted' couldn't it? Since other emulators and devices wouldn't run that instruction, they'd load the normal rom.

Of course if you make it a manual option to load a rom as encrypted, which the jag sd owner will have to set for each encrypted rom, that would avoid the above.

Talk about feature creep. Now we have suggestions that a flash cart be designed to not load ROMs.... :D

Seriously, people are WAY overthinking this. Interesting feature, sure, but not really something to get massively concerned over as just a enduser of the cart.

• Like 3

Seriously, people are WAY overthinking this. Interesting feature, sure, but not really something to get massively concerned over as just a enduser of the cart.

I'm guessing no-one will use it. But I can make it happen if someone does want to. ;)

Edited by SainT

SainT, sorry for asking again but can you please tell us more about status of CD emulation and what games runs now. I found that Baldies, Cybernoid and Batlemorph runs and this is really fantastic. Once you said now when bios is fully under your control, it should be possible to get all CD games working. Have you get time to test some other CD games? I'm most interested in Highlander. Sorry if you already answered that, i pass trought all 85 pages maybe i miss something :-)

I would like it to run everything BUT Highlander.

Rugar's in for a real shit sandwich.

That game is wretched.

I own it and have never played it, because I don't want to take out the JagCD anymore. So I too am looking forward to being able to try it and being disappointed.

• Like 1

I own it and have never played it, because I don't want to take out the JagCD anymore. So I too am looking forward to being able to try it and being disappointed.

Take out one of your Jag controllers, doesn't have to be plugged in to anything and start up a YouTube video for Highlander. You'll have darn near just about the same controls as actually playing the game.

• Like 4

HAHA I actually own the game as well and never played it either as the CD unit I purchased way back(for very little actually maybe $90 at most) arrived non functional and had to return it. Come to think of it it may have not even been broken but just a bad connection. Anyhow I'm so intrigued by the game that I have to try it LOL!

I don't think you can be into Jag and not love bad games at least a little. I'm loving the CD-i I just got mainly for that reason. I use flashcarts to find bad stuff more often than good stuff lol. There's definitely some good games on the Jag - definitely more than the CD-i, but there's no denying that it's a great system for a lover of bad games either.

• Like 1