IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

5 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

I remember when you helped me a couple years ago on a Raiden rom that wouldn't load so on the skunkboard and there was a special one you sent to me that had "skunk" in the title. It seems that now with these roms that might have been locked to a skunk they should work just fine on the SD cart without any issues am I right?

Raiden works just fine unmodified on the SD cart, so you'll only need that ROM for the Skunkboard.

4 hours ago, samson7point1 said:

I'm hopeful that "Another World" will make an appearance.  Haven't been able to find it and I assume that's out of respect for RGC but it's been several years since they last sold out and they don't seem likely to ever produce more so...

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/288704-atari-jaguar-review-another-world-the-jags-holy-grail/?do=findComment&comment=4241611

12 hours ago, madman said:

Oh wow, that's awesome.  I've been on the waiting list for like a year and a half but at the time the response I got from RGC felt like they weren't really going to do another run.  Thanks for linking that post!

12 hours ago, kublai said:

Is there a release date and price for the JagSD? I signed up for email on the twitter page already.

@Albert, does the forum software have the option for a "sticky" post that is displayed on every page of a thread? Then the sticky post can contain a short piece of text containing or pointing to answers to common questing like above so there is no need to post the same question again and again.

@kublai, if you signed up for the e-mail list on Saint's website you auto-magically get that information as soon as it is known.

Robert

On 7/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, SainT said:

JagSD only supports FAT / FAT32, so that limits you really to SDHC and 32GB. You may get away with SDXC cards formatted to FAT32, but I can't guarantee. Although that said, you'll get everything you'll ever want into 32GB and have plenty of space free... ;)

I know Windows only supports formatting devices as FAT32 up to 32GB, but FAT32 actually supports up to 2TB without any trouble (beyond 2TB gets tricky).

Will the JagSD support larger SDXC cards formatted as FAT32, or will we need to specifically use SDHC cards with it?  My concern is not so much about fitting the library on one card - 2 GB should be plenty - as it is about how finicky JagSD will be with replacement cards.

Edited by Spider-Dan

4 hours ago, Spider-Dan said:

I know Windows only supports formatting devices as FAT32 up to 32GB, but FAT32 actually supports up to 2TB without any trouble (beyond 2TB gets tricky).

Will the JagSD support larger SDXC cards formatted as FAT32, or will we need to specifically use SDHC cards with it?  My concern is not so much about fitting the library on one card - 2 GB should be plenty - as it is about how finicky JagSD will be with replacement cards.

Limitations of FAT32 are actually 16TB, but you have to make sure they're 4k sector sizes and GPT instead of MBR (MBR limit is 2TB)  Not that we'd need this with the Jag :P

42 minutes ago, Pinballs said:

Nice. And the same question- where can we download these for JagSD?

Do you have a JagSD to use them on?  They will be available when they're needed.  As for your other question, there's this thing called Google.  It's been around a while now, so you might have heard of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Do you have a JagSD to use them on?  They will be available when they're needed.  As for your other question, there's this thing called Google.  It's been around a while now, so you might have heard of it.

What is this 'google'? Is it like AltaVista, HotBot and Yahoo? ;-)

I don't have a JagSD yet (hoho), but obviously have roms for HyperSpin et al. But it seems that there are some customised roms, given your posts about the skunk board (that I also have). I think it's therefore a reasonable question to ask where to get a full, optimised romset for JagSD, which I hope is acceptable?

1 hour ago, Pinballs said:

What is this 'google'? Is it like AltaVista, HotBot and Yahoo? ;-)

I don't have a JagSD yet (hoho), but obviously have roms for HyperSpin et al. But it seems that there are some customised roms, given your posts about the skunk board (that I also have). I think it's therefore a reasonable question to ask where to get a full, optimised romset for JagSD, which I hope is acceptable?

He already told you, "they will be available when they're needed." The only games locked to a Skunk or JagSD are CJ's ST ports. So if you are looking for other ROMs, whatever you find will work on the SD cart. If you have any other questions, feel free to Ask Jeeves. 

15 minutes ago, madman said:

He already told you, "they will be available when they're needed." The only games locked to a Skunk or JagSD are CJ's ST ports. So if you are looking for other ROMs, whatever you find will work on the SD cart. If you have any other questions, feel free to Ask Jeeves. 

As said above, when they are required, they will be made available..

It has not been an insignificant amount of work retro-fixing (pun intended) over 30 ROMs, and not something that was required to be done so forgive me for ignoring any and all self-entitled requests demanding them (not that this was one) - but while the device is not available I don't see any point in posting them at the current time. 

When Saint is ready, these will be ready.

• Like 4

Many thanks- your efforts are greatly appreciated. Huge respect.

I'm sorry if I appeared somewhat impetuous, which is certainly not the case. I've ordered everything that Saint has produced, as well as Terraonion and Analogue's products, and am a big fan of classic gaming :-)

• Like 3

On 8/1/2019 at 11:14 AM, SainT said:

A 16MB version is also possible with the JagSD.... ;)

How it's that possible? The 68000 can address 16MB and you need to reserve some address for cartridge and devices. If it's some kind of bank switching the limit can be much higher.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:47 PM, CyranoJ said:

A part of me wants this to be the startup of the JagSD card, like a real ROM in it of this thing that always welcomes you, even better if it can be the animated background of the menu.

It'll drive people nuts but hey .... JagPowa.

Note: I really dig the Bad Apple video on all the consoles/old-computer it showed up .... catchy music!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:46 PM, CyranoJ said:

As said above, when they are required, they will be made available..

It has not been an insignificant amount of work retro-fixing (pun intended) over 30 ROMs, and not something that was required to be done so forgive me for ignoring any and all self-entitled requests demanding them (not that this was one) - but while the device is not available I don't see any point in posting them at the current time. 

When Saint is ready, these will be ready.

Image result for rainman meme

On 8/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, swapd0 said:

How it's that possible? The 68000 can address 16MB and you need to reserve some address for cartridge and devices. If it's some kind of bank switching the limit can be much higher.

You already gave the answer, bank-switching is the key which enables nearly unlimited space.

According the the documentation, the first 4MB ($000000 - $3FFFFF) is RAM bank one (only 2MB used on the Jaguar), the second 4MB ($400000 - $7FFFFF) is RAM bank two (not used on the Jaguar), then there is 6MB ($800000 - $DFFFFF) reserved for cartridge rom. The last 2MB ($E00000 - $FFFFFF) is reserved for boot ROM (128KB used in the Jaguar) but an 128KB windows in that area ($F00000 - $F20000) is for the TOM & Jerry registers and local RAM.

So in the 6MB cartridge space you could think of several different bank-switching layouts like 4 banks of 4MB or a single fixed bank of 4MB and the second 2MB spaced bank-switched with 6 banks of 2MB (12MB). I do not know what bank-switch layout Saint used but as the CPLD used is reprogrammable, you could create every bank-switch layout you can think of.

Also the cartridge port seems to expose 24 address lines, so in theory you could even use addresses that are normally reserved for RAM or unused IO space or unused boot ROM space. But this might interfere with the RAM interface if that still returns (random or mirrored) data even when there is no RAM.

Robert