IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

7 hours ago, SainT said:

ROM is always 10 cycle for JagSD use (ie. standard commercial game spec).

This is a hardware constraint or it can be lowered by software?, maybe it can be nice to have 1 cycle access time and put textures there instead of RAM.

3 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

1 cycle isn't possible ; the speeds supported by the hardware are 2, 5, 6, 8 and 10 cycles. And 2 cycles is partially broken. Support for 5 cycles would be nice to give a speed boost to JagSD-only games.

OMG, do you mean that the Jaguar has hardware bugs? ?

Edited by swapd0
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

1 cycle isn't possible ; the speeds supported by the hardware are 2, 5, 6, 8 and 10 cycles. And 2 cycles is partially broken. Support for 5 cycles would be nice to give a speed boost to JagSD-only games.

I don't believe it's possible, its pushing it a bit at 10. I'm using SDRAM, so there is some latency in random reads -- it's better suited for burst reads. Plus you have the refresh cycles to take into account for latency and the fact memory access is asynchronous, so there's no waiting for the cart ROM to return the correct value. You either get it there in time, or everything dies.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SainT said:

I don't believe it's possible, its pushing it a bit at 10. I'm using SDRAM, so there is some latency in random reads -- it's better suited for burst reads. Plus you have the refresh cycles to take into account for latency and the fact memory access is asynchronous, so there's no waiting for the cart ROM to return the correct value. You either get it there in time, or everything dies. 

Oh, the JagSD does not support 5 cycles rom access ? You did not test it?

21 hours ago, SainT said:

That's unacceptable. I demand to get my money back!

Wait...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Everything we have tested (and, believe me, that is a LOT) has worked.

Yes, it's my old mantra of supporting the software which exists, not the software that doesn't. It really helps to cut down the workload! :)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SainT said:

Yes, it's my old mantra of supporting the software which exists, not the software that doesn't. It really helps to cut down the workload! :)

It's like I was always told as a software developer - solve the problems you have, not the problems you don't have. ;-)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, flip said:

And there's no pre-order list, nor will there be one.

Well, not quite true! I’ll be opening orders when I have the first load ready to ship, then any orders which can’t be fulfilled by the initial stock will be pre-orders to be fulfilled. I’m trying my hardest to keep the backlog as small as possible and keep orders fresh with the JagSD.

• Like 7

On 8/10/2019 at 11:53 PM, CyranoJ said:

A much enhanced version shall be waiting for you to test your shiney new SD cart with :)

320x200x4bpp + 21.9Khz 16 bit ADPCM audio

Video shows upload speed over USB

I have to quote that so I don't have to go back a page.

Unleash the Jag. I don't think I've tracked a thread on Atariage that has got me so excited before.