IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

1 hour ago, Saturn said:

It is to me. The convenience of not having to open individual games to play is worth gold.

This is what I'm thinking too!  I have close to every jag game out there, but not having to open the boxes and pulling the cart out is very much worth it.

Now if we could figure out a way to get rom images of the stuff coming out so we have legal copies, but still don't have to swap out carts would be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arvidd said:

Is this worth getting even if you already own almost all games released in cartridge?

I'm in the same boat, and I have decided the answer is an eventual yes, but I'm not in any rush to put my order in.  I'll definitely pick one up later whenever I have some extra spending money.

15 minutes ago, leech said:

This is what I'm thinking too!  I have close to every jag game out there, but not having to open the boxes and pulling the cart out is very much worth it.

Now if we could figure out a way to get rom images of the stuff coming out so we have legal copies, but still don't have to swap out carts would be nice.

Yes, I think the creators of current content are missing out on a revenue source.  I would buy most, if not all, of it if they had a lower cost digital option to put on the flashcart.  I don't really have any interest in buying physical carts, but would like to be able to play the games.

7 minutes ago, Sargon said:

I'm in the same boat, and I have decided the answer is an eventual yes, but I'm not in any rush to put my order in.  I'll definitely pick one up later whenever I have some extra spending money.

Would it be able to run those games that only had a rom released? (but not cartridge). IK+ I think is an example.

2 minutes ago, arvidd said:

Would it be able to run those games that only had a rom released? (but not cartridge). IK+ I think is an example.

From what was said earlier in the thread, yes if someone changes the header from skunk to JagSD (assuming it's a skunk locked one).  I'm guessing if it's just one that'll work with Virtual Jag, it'll also work on the SD cart?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Yes, I think the creators of current content are missing out on a revenue source.  I would buy most, if not all, of it if they had a lower cost digital option to put on the flashcart.  I don't really have any interest in buying physical carts, but would like to be able to play the games.

The option is there to do rom’s which are locked to a specific cart for people who wanted to purchase a digital download. I know drm is a delicate subject, and it’s a bit weird implementing stuff like this in a 30 year old console, but the mentality for old consoles is that everything should be free. Even stuff which is being actively sold.

I do agree it would be a really good option to allow people to download legal digital ROMs instead of physical purchases for those who just want to support the developers and play the games.

Talk of ripping ROMs from currently selling homebrew really is not appropriate here, though, so please do not continue this.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 4

On 8/26/2019 at 6:59 PM, leech said:

From what was said earlier in the thread, yes if someone changes the header from skunk to JagSD (assuming it's a skunk locked one).  I'm guessing if it's just one that'll work with Virtual Jag, it'll also work on the SD cart?

In general for skunk locked ROMs, there will be a memory card locked version made.

Edited by SainT

1 minute ago, SainT said:

The option is there to do rom’s which are locked to a specific SD cart for people who wanted to purchase a digital download. I know drm is a delicate subject, and it’s a bit weird implementing stuff like this in a 30 year old console, but the mentality for old consoles is that everything should be free. Even stuff which is being actively sold.

I do agree it would be a really good option to allow people to download legal digital ROMs instead of physical purchases for those who just want to support the developers and play the games.

Talk of ripping ROMs from currently selling homebrew really is not appropriate here, though, so please do not continue this.

I'm kind of the opinion that the options should be Digital only (cheaper obviously because then there doesn't need to be a box, manual, cart etc made.)  And Physical + Digital.  You get a cart sent and a link.  For those that don't have the SD cart, they can just ignore the link and get their cart.  What annoys me is when you have to pay extra for a digital as well.  Of course there are also the annoying ones like Postal 3 (well it was a crap game anyhow) that gave you physical disks and a Steam key, but you can't even play the game off the physical disks because it re-downloads it all from Steam anyhow.  That was a broken game...

I also find it annoying that in today's world on modern games, the physical version and the digital version cost the same.

6 minutes ago, leech said:

I'm kind of the opinion that the options should be Digital only (cheaper obviously because then there doesn't need to be a box, manual, cart etc made.)  And Physical + Digital.  You get a cart sent and a link.  For those that don't have the SD cart, they can just ignore the link and get their cart.  What annoys me is when you have to pay extra for a digital as well.  Of course there are also the annoying ones like Postal 3 (well it was a crap game anyhow) that gave you physical disks and a Steam key, but you can't even play the game off the physical disks because it re-downloads it all from Steam anyhow.  That was a broken game...

I also find it annoying that in today's world on modern games, the physical version and the digital version cost the same.

I think the problem is that if you buy a physical copy with digital download and it's the same price, many could just turn around and sell the physical copy for the same if not more while basically getting a copy of the game for free which ends up taking away a sale from the developer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SainT said:

In general for skunk locked ROMs, there will be an SD locked version made.

On Roms that are skunk locked they cannot be played on the SD cart I guess. On ones that are locked form being played ON a skunk would those work? I was curious on file formats actually. Someone posted about CD ISOs and CyranoJ said there would be a custom format, so does that mean anything jiffi would not work too as well? I'm not at my home computer to see what formats I have for my CD Isos, but at last I remembered the CD functionality was not coming with it anyways initially

25 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

On Roms that are skunk locked they cannot be played on the SD cart I guess. On ones that are locked form being played ON a skunk would those work? I was curious on file formats actually. Someone posted about CD ISOs and CyranoJ said there would be a custom format, so does that mean anything jiffi would not work too as well? I'm not at my home computer to see what formats I have for my CD Isos, but at last I remembered the CD functionality was not coming with it anyways initially

Cybernoid 2 jiffy cdi converted to jcd works fine.

3 hours ago, arvidd said:

Is this worth getting even if you already own almost all games released in cartridge?

I purchased one even though I already have a complete Jaguar cartridge collection. I like the idea of being able to play future homebrew games (those that are released freely, of course) and the ST ports (again, the ones made available for JaguarSD that I don't already have physical copies of). If and when CD support is added, even better.

1 hour ago, SainT said:

The option is there to do rom’s which are locked to a specific SD cart for people who wanted to purchase a digital download. I know drm is a delicate subject, and it’s a bit weird implementing stuff like this in a 30 year old console, but the mentality for old consoles is that everything should be free. Even stuff which is being actively sold.

I never talked about ripping ROMs..just purchasing digital copies.  Maybe you were thinking of someone else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I never talked about ripping ROMs..just purchasing digital copies.  Maybe you were thinking of someone else.

Sorry, wasn't directed at you! I happened I was replying to your message, then a general reply to a couple above. :)

On 8/26/2019 at 7:50 PM, UHATEIT said:

so if you relabel them to .cdi they should work? Just wasn't sure what format is anticipated for this if and when the CD functionality is ready to go.

Eh? As far as I'm aware the JIFFI tool can create CDI's from ABS files. These then get converted into JCD files for the Jag GD.

Edited by SainT

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

I think the problem is that if you buy a physical copy with digital download and it's the same price, many could just turn around and sell the physical copy for the same if not more while basically getting a copy of the game for free which ends up taking away a sale from the developer.

Not really, most people who just want to get the digital download would just buy that, why would they sell the physical and keep the digital if they were both included?  Most people who are going to by the physical do it for collection purposes.

28 minutes ago, SainT said:

Eh? As far as I'm aware the JIFFI tool can create CDI's from ABS files. These then get converted into JCD files for the Jag SD.

Awesome that's what I figured. i converted most of mine to whatever format was needed to burn them but can always reconvert them back to whatever was needed for the Jag SD

SainT, All,

I've been following this topic from the begining, reading each single post of the 110 pages. Now it comes reality, nearly too early. It was so good to wait and follow the progression...I did not order immediatly (I'm currently #644) so that the waiting pleasure can last a bit more. I'll definitively have to by a 7800 in order to feel the same again ;-) 

This is a rebirth of the Jaguar.

Thank you and lot of respect, Mr SainT, for making this a reality. I wich you all the best. 

And thank you all for this passionating topic with 1000s of posts (that will last again for a long time I hope).  

• Like 2