IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

6 hours ago, SainT said:

I've been made aware of some fun lies spread by an ignorant halfwit.

"yes we get more and more reports by customers. Have a look to the jagsd pictures. Too thick pcb plus no rounded edges like the skunkboard. So if you have the wrong angle you smash the pins. Most likely the card also consumes more than the 300mA allowed like all other memory cards"

Ok, lets take this one point at a time.

"Too thick pcb"

Ignoring the poor grammar, lets have a look at the evidence.

JagPCB.thumb.JPG.299cd1a0f27f61b0e580b3a16e6d1e62.JPGJagSD.thumb.JPG.8c5dd0aa13b65b96c218156dc6faefc4.JPG

Hey! Would you look at that! The JagGD PCB is THINNER than the stock Jaguar game PCB. So it's actually EASIER on the cartridge slot. Lets call that lie number 1.

Next point -- "no rounded edges like the skunkboard". I assume this means beveled edges, as that's the important factor when inserting card edges into sockets.

beveling.thumb.jpg.a9196779a5e0e140cf9dfdfad0925336.jpg

Hey, check that out, they're both beveled by the same amount! Who'd have thought? Sheesh, it's like the guy has never actually SEEN one of the PCB's. Fancy that? So, that's lie number 2.

Lets see if we can make it a hat-trick.

So, the allegation is that it "consumes more than the 300mA allowed". Ok, I run the cart off one single 300ma 3.3v regulator, which is about 200ma at 5v. So, yeah, we'll go with 3 lies. Sweet. A hat trick of lies. To what end, though? Not sure.

Thank-you, and goodnight.

I'm sorry, I cannot believe you until I get my cart and measure it myself.  So that means I get bumped to the beginning of the next batch, right???  :P 

What a tremendous chode to spread lies.  Yeah, I can already guess at which hateful dung heap is saying this.  Like you would have spent all this time just to release a shoddy product, pretty damned laughable.  Keep up the brilliant work! 

Race is still on for the other projects I have been waiting a long time for, though I did get my ZZ9000 board for my Amiga :) 

• Like 2

I’ve been massively impressed with the terraonion hardware, i’m very surprised there is an issue with something as simple as the edge connector! Although I did have one board out of the last batch of jag boards with a poorly bevelled edge, this didn’t get past QA, but I guess some may for others.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SainT said:

I’ve been massively impressed with the terraonion hardware, i’m very surprised there is an issue with something as simple as the edge connector! Although I did have one board out of the last batch of jag boards with a poorly bevelled edge, this didn’t get past QA, but I guess some may for others.

I think from the standpoint of ambition and complexity, their products are amazing.  The implementation has had some hiccoughs - the SSDS3 sound issues (and supposedly video issues which I never experienced, despite using an OSSC with the video LPF turned off).  I wish I could say it surprised me that my connector wasn't beveled, but the MegaSD was a pretty ambitious project and I think with that many plates spinning something was bound to be missed.  I still love the thing.

megasd-unbeveled_edge1.JPG

megasd-unbeveled_edge2.JPG

Edited by samson7point1
  • Like 1

I've heard mixed reports about the edges on the MegaSD. Mine doesn't appear to be beveled, or very lightly if so, but it also isn't being a problem in any way. My only issue currently is that the music after defeating a boss in Robo Aleste doesn't work if seek time emulation is on, which is supposed to increase compatibility. They gave me a workaround though and I'm hoping it's automatic in a firmware update. I do feel like it might be a little thicker but I think that helps it in my original '89 Genesis that has trouble reading normal games without multiple tries. The MegaSD works every time. I have 3 Genesis 2s as backups anyway ?

3 hours ago, samson7point1 said:

Maybe the dolt was talking about the MegaSD?  They were released rather close together and my MegaSD shipped without a beveled edge. I don't have calipers to measure it, but now I'm curious.

I do have calipers to measure it :)  so I'll measure it when I get home from the office today.  I didn't seem to have any issues fitting it in.  I can even compare it to my Everdrive X7. 

It does look like the MegaSD does not have the beveled edge.  But size wise they're all dead on.

Everdrive X7 measurement.

Gauntlet 4 Measurement

MegaSD Measurement

Edited by leech
Add image titles.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, racerx said:

Don't protect the guilty.

I'd much rather see people like this called out by name. With as many new members as your SD card has brought in, I think it'd be helpful to point out the more toxic people in the scene.

Look after his page retro-modding.de on fb, use google translator. Read and have fun ;-)

• Like 2

Does that mean shipping is halted for a bit currently (aside from the usual wait for parts etc)? If so, does that affect those outside of Europe too? I understand if so, you want stuff to be done right. Also just itching for my Jag GD though, and if the next batch is indeed 200 (or close) I should be in it :)

Yes, I won’t be shipping anything until I’m happy things are being done right.

I’m just figuring things out, but I believe anywhere outside of Europe is actually fine. And the UK is fine too as dealing with WEEE within the UK, from within the UK, is easy from what I can see.

19 hours ago, SainT said:

I’m just figuring things out, but I believe anywhere outside of Europe is actually fine. And the UK is fine too as dealing with WEEE within the UK, from within the UK, is easy from what I can see.

Does that mean you will continue shipping to the uk and put EU orders on hold? (currently #630)  ;)

On 10/19/2019 at 12:05 AM, SainT said:

Is the Atari Jaguar hardware itself obligated to WEEE? I don't think so. 

Edited by agradeneu

On 10/19/2019 at 1:05 AM, SainT said:

SainT, first of all, great that you consider electrical equipment waste to be also your concern. Although Jag GD is most likely never going to end up in a bin, this approach is commendable. I do not remember seeing anything related to recycling in any of my modern retro purchases, as you implied.

Technically if you're compliant with UK EEE and WEEE guidance, it means you should be compliant with EU too. UK is still in EU and the whole point of the union is that member states are aligned in matters like this. If you now decide to prioritise UK and non-EU customers above EU customers, you should clearly communicate that to everyone who has made the pre-order. Having distributors is also a good idea, but will not automatically sort out the pre-orders. 

I understand you're doing this as a business and shortcuts won't be an option. Maybe this company can help: https://erp-recycling.org/uk/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, karttu said:

SainT, first of all, great that you consider electrical equipment waste to be also your concern. Although Jag GD is most likely never going to end up in a bin, this approach is commendable. I do not remember seeing anything related to recycling in any of my modern retro purchases, as you implied.

Technically if you're compliant with UK EEE and WEEE guidance, it means you should be compliant with EU too. UK is still in EU and the whole point of the union is that member states are aligned in matters like this. If you now decide to prioritise UK and non-EU customers above EU customers, you should clearly communicate that to everyone who has made the pre-order. Having distributors is also a good idea, but will not automatically sort out the pre-orders. 

I understand you're doing this as a business and shortcuts won't be an option. Maybe this company can help: https://erp-recycling.org/uk/

The Jaguar hardware itself is not conform to the rules of WEEE, as these were introduced in 2005 and apply to hardware introduced to EU market 2006 onwards. Imported NTSC units of the 90s are not even C E conform. Honestly, the Jaguar "conforms" to modern environment/waste/safety rules of the EU like your grandfathers tube radio. ;-) 

Reading throug the German "Elektrogesetz" it seems the Jaguar does not fall under WEEE regulations, and with it spare parts and any device that only works with the original 90s Jaguar hardware (and not as an independent device). However I'm not a lawyer so consulting one looks to be crucial to be on the safe side.

Edited by agradeneu

13 hours ago, Machine said:

Just reading a little online, EU WEEE sounds like a nightmare. Glad USA does have that crap. Just another way to make it difficult for small businesses. Hope you figure out a way to ship these without having to jump through hoops.

The basic idea is to pay and care for future trash when it's sold, including disassembling and re-using materials rather than putting stuff into landfills. Overall it makes sense although I admit it sounds quite harsh for someone selling a couple hundred of some retrocomputing device.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, agradeneu said:

The Jaguar hardware itself is not conform to the rules of WEEE, as these were introduced in 2005 and apply to hardware introduced to EU market 2006 onwards. Imported NTSC units of the 90s are not even C E conform. Honestly, the Jaguar "conforms" to modern environment/waste/safety rules of the EU like your grandfathers tube radio. ;-) 

Reading throug the German "Elektrogesetz" it seems the Jaguar does not fall under WEEE regulations, and with it spare parts and any device that only works with the original 90s Jaguar hardware (and not as an independent device). However I'm not a lawyer so consulting one looks to be crucial to be on the safe side.

Forget it, cartridges fall under WEEE regulations, need to be registered. They are new hardware. 

Edited by agradeneu